RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Navistar MaxxForce Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Switching From Gas

Thinking about going from my old gasser to a lightly used Tiffin allegro breeze. It seems that from reading this forum, there are a lot of unforeseen problems with diesels. Should I be scared? I really don't want to have to pay 3-4K repair bills. This old 8liter Chevy motor has 60K miles on it and it is still going strong. I would like air ride and the other nice features a diesel pusher has to offer but not if it comes with huge repair bills. Suggestions? Comments? Thanks in advance.

Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #2

Keep in mind you seldom read about the success stories, only about problems, with any machinery. The same goes for your gas engine as diesel engines.60,000 miles is actually low mileage for a gas engine-IF it has been properly maintained per the mfgrs maintenance schedule and small problems corrected as they appear.
I would not trade simply because of the power source unless I planned to do a lot of driving each year while towing a heavy vehicle. There advantages and disadvantages to both gas and diesel engines, your useage IMO is the determining factor.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig H View Post
Thinking about going from my old gasser to a lightly used Tiffin allegro breeze. It seems that from reading this forum, there are a lot of unforeseen problems with diesels. Should I be scared? I really don't want to have to pay 3-4K repair bills. This old 8liter Chevy motor has 60K miles on it and it is still going strong. I would like air ride and the other nice features a diesel pusher has to offer but not if it comes with huge repair bills. Suggestions? Comments? Thanks in advance.

I would read all of the thread here. The Maxforce 7 has issues due to DFP. Many issue listed here. If the owner did not idle a lot, maybe check the hour meter and the the miles driven? Bottom line is the Breeze has low power, it is a nice coach. The 13 and later have IFS and in 12 they upped horsepower, EGR failure can be another issue. If the owner changed oil every 6 months, drove hard with little stop and go, you may have a good one. If I were buying one I would get a 14/15 32 foot coach that has good service. I would get a deal so when something goes bad, you can afford the fix. Diesel are not bad, Cummings (under 500 HP) or Mercedes Sprinters are good. Cat pre 2008. Read the info, you are at the correct site.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

Switching From Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
I would read all of the thread here. The Maxforce 7 has issues due to DFP.

Not completely accurate. The 2011 and 2012 Breezes used the 2007 EPA version of the MaxxForce7 which did not use DEF fluid and that engine had no problems. I have one.

You might want to check this out:

Evolution of the Breeze
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #5

I see some 2011 32 for sale. What is the problems with that unit. HP is pretty low, EGR issues? What about DPF? Does it have one? My reading on MF 7 is good well built engine, but EPA 10 brings a lot of issue?

Tags
gas, switch