RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #1

02 Kountry Star 300 HP Cummins ??

Haven't had this but just a while, it is a 300 HP Cummins but that is about all I know about it. I need to change the fuel filters and the water separator filter too . And what ever else I need to change. So I need to know what filters I need to get this done. It runs good down a level road but any hills just kill it and I have got to try to get it better. I didn't get any books with it so I have nothing to look at for it. Thanks for any help I get.

okie mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #2

I never heard of a Newman brand and never heard of a Cummings brand either.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
I never heard of a Newman brand and never heard of a Cummings brand either.
Actually he said it was "cummimgs"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie mopar View Post
Haven't had this but just a while, it is a 300 HP cummimgs but that is about all I know about it. I need to change the fuel filters and the water separater filter too . And what ever else I need to change. So I need to know what filters I need to get this done. It runs good down a level road but any hills just kill it and I have got to try to get it better. I didn't get any books with it so I have nothing to look at for it. Thanks for any help I get.
Hello, first things first, the name is Cummins - no g.
You may download virtually any Cummins manuals, etc from Cummins quickserve, you must join to participate.

OK, here we go. Your engine should be a Cummins ISC with 300HP. Here is the maintenance schedule: Shoot, I can't get a hot link to work, copy N paste works though:
http://www.cumminspowerclub.com/resources/ISCMaintSchedulesRV.pdf

About half-way down this page you'll find workshop manuals for purchase if you are mechanically inclined. Bolt torque specs are always handy to have nearby.
The location of various items on the engine is useful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #5

Questions ??

Thank you Ray, at least you are trying to help me and not make fun of me. I still don't understand a lot of people still but I just deal with it Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #6

Hello.

Here's a link to the Newmar website for your models sales brochure. Not much info on engines, but it has good info on weights and capacities. Add it to your collection of manuals you're going to develop.

https://newmarcorp-8c1e.kxcdn.com/wp...sel-pusher.pdf

Here's a link to the Freightliner Chassis info for your RV.

https://cdn.fccchq.com/specsheets/5b...untry-Star.pdf

And here's a link to the chassis maintenance for your RV.

https://dtnacontent-dtna.prd.freight....html?SM_USER=

Hope these help.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:30 AM   #7

What chassis is it? There should be a tag of some type that will tell you the chassis manufacturer. Mine has a line setting sheet with a lot of info on it. I would open up the engine cover and take a peak at the engine. Mine says Cummins 24 valve 5.9 I believe. I believe a Cat engine would also have the name on at as well as Detroit. If its a Freightliner chassis I believe you can give them the last 6 digits of the serial number and they will be able to tell you a lot about the engine and engine type, horsepower rating and so forth.

Maintenance....

Everyone has a different idea and I will give you mine. I dumped the engine oil and filter, fuel filter and strainer filter. Have the brakes and wheel bearings checked and wheel bearings packed. Have the front end checked out for loose or worn parts and give it a grease job provided it has zerk fittings. Check the transmission fluid for color and smell and if in doubt have it changed along with the transmission filter.

This ought to get you going and good luck.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

02 Cummins

Thanks every body for the help, got under it and found oil filter didn't see any others. I looked for a cut off on the heater hoses while I was there and didn't see any. I have got to get the drive shaft greased it looks like it hasn't been greased in years. Thanks Ronnie
Old 11-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

If your chassis is Freightliner, you can contact them at 800-385-4357 with the last 8 digits of your VIN and they can give you a lot of good information. They sent me maintenance and lube details including photos of a chassis that indicated locations of grease fittings etc. They've been very helpful. I just got a diagram of the air system, had it in an e-mail about 10 minutes after requesting.
Call Cummins with your VIN at 800-343-7357 and they can tell you pretty much everything about your engine including build date, oil and fuel filter details and so on.
I did get caught once. Cummins gave me the fuel-water separator part number, so I bought it and installed it. It leaked and what I finally figured out was that on my rig the Cummins part wasn't used. A separate filter mount was piped onto the frame and the 'similar-but-different' part was provided by Freightliner. Of course I learned this after I carefully cut off the original water sensor connector and soldered on the new one.....
You will probably find that a 300 hp engine will require some patience and planning to get around in traffic and hills. Mine is 340 hp with max weight of 32,000 lb. It's okay but I haven't had it out to the Rockies yet. I looked into adding some power but I can't go further due to my transmission being the limiting factor.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Look for your fuel filter on passenger side near the tail light just a little lower.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #11

Fuel Filter ?

The filter your talking about is it the one in the back corner of the body under the tail lite. I see a looks like a black canister there. Thanks Ronnie