Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #1

07 Monaco Diplomat with 400 cummins - not starting

Yesterday we tried to start our RV that had only sat for 24 hours waiting to leave for the weekend. It would turn over (good batteries) and fire then run for just a few seconds and die. After a few tries it would not fire at all. But after sitting for 30 minutes or more it would fire again and only run for a few seconds.

We did have monsoon rains the evening before and found that the floor just above the engine in the back was wet with water (about a 12 inches in diameter). Assuming the the rains snuck in around one of our slides.

The top of the engine visibly looked very wet. Could this have cause some sort of electrical problem? A local repair man said to check the PCM. I know what it is but have no idea where it is.

Looking for ideas on what could be wrong or where our PCM is located.
Jan_strk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The first thought that comes to mind is have you done anything recently getting ready for your trip. Specifically, by any chance did you change fuel filters? Sounds more like some type of fuel delivery problem to me. Other side of the coin being when was the last time the filters were ever changed?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

We had the oil changed and new tires in the spring, but are now questioning whether the fuel filter was also changed. If they have not changed it that means we haven't replaced it for almost 4 years.

Any idea where the filter might be on our rig? I check all the openable doors I could get too. But only found the oil filter.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know about your coach, mine has a rear radiator. There are two filters, one in a compartment on the rear of the coach on the passenger side. The other is behind the air conditioner on the drivers side of the coach most rear side compartment. On mine it is two doors one inside the other that open with a barrel key. You will get a lot of pro/con arguments on whether to fill the filters before installing. I installed mine dry once; NEVER AGAIN. Took me two days to get it running again.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

oh there are two of them, I found the one on the drivers side behind hvac door. I need to look for the other one, guessing it is the filter on the passenger side door near where we check the oil.

The first one for ours is the FS1003, seeking out a new one locally.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #6

I found the second location filter id 3336 and we went to the store and got both. Looks like a Sunday project.

Any recommendations on filing the filter with fuel before hand? Methods, how full, etc?

Just learning here
Old 07-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Go buy a gallon of clean diesel, plug the center hole and fill through the outside holes. I do one filter at a time fill slowly to the top install and then start the engine and let it run for a few minutes before doing the second one. Hopefully yours will start and run since that is/was your original problem. I would start with the primary (FS1003). Use a sharpie to write the change date on the outside of the filters. One more thing, make sure you remove the old center gasket and install the new one. Having two or none causes all kinds of headaches.

If changing the filters solves your problem I would then cut the old ones in half and inspect for algae.

Would also be interested to know if the old filters are full of fuel when you pull them.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #8

Checked the water drain plug today, all black around the plug, gas barely drained out. Checked out receipts for the past few years. The place has replaced the fuel filters since 2016. So pretty sure the filters are plugged. Thanks for the advice will let you know tomorrow how it all turns out.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #9

Sorry meant to say has not replaced.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #10

Fuel filters will give you a low power issue, long, long before you get a no start issue.

I believe, with 45 years of diesel experience, you are being led down the wrong road, suspecting bad filters.

If you have opened the fuel filters, checking for water, you have now compounded your no start problem by introducing air into the system.

The only time fuel filters will effect starting is if they are full of gelled fuel from extreme cold.

Did the tech, you called, say it seamed like it was a fuel problem ?

Have you checked the coolant level ?

According to your post, the engine starts and runs for a few seconds. That means fuel is being delivered.

It may well be due for new fuel filters, but do that after you find why its not staying running.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #11

We checked the coolant and oil levels. Air in the lines? How to remove? I didn't see a primer pump.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #12

Ok replaced fuel filters as explained, now wont fire to start. Only tried a few times, batteries getting low. Have charger on them. Any further ideas other than towing to the shop?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
First need to know how much fuel did you drain out when you opened the valve to check for water. If you drained out more than a tablespoon or so you have introduced air into the system. This can be a problem but there are ways around it. Also did you change both filters before trying to start the coach?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #14

Turn the key to ON, not start, for 15 seconds, 4 times, to prime up the fuel system. Each time you do that it runs the lift pump.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, monaco, monaco diplomat