Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Truckers idle for hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
I read the info at this link, but I'm confused. How do truckers get by letting their rigs idle for hours?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #16

Most of the newer trucks DO NOT idle for hours. They have an apu (auxillary power unit) to provide heating, cooling and electricity while they sleep. Many cities and the state of california have anti idle laws that limit idle time to a few minutes, usually 5 or less. The world is changing, we used to have trucks go out on monday and they would not be shut off until friday when they got back into the y ard but those days are disappearing fast. just our experience. Gene
Old 12-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #17

Yes it is a 10,000 fine if a business knowlingly modifys a emissions on any vehicle. However if that unit is for off road, agriculture or racing they can't touch you.
Secondly you do not change the look of the system you only modify the insides and unless you dreive up and tell someone they can't tell.
You will also pass a emissions test w/o problems if you do the modifications right.
If you don't want to do anything to your unit except gain some moderate power and a little mpg than take a look at T&S diesel performance. Mild upgrades no smoke easy to install for common rail only can be removed and is undetectable after being removed.
Lastly when i say core out I mean to remove the internal components of the exhaust system. We refere to a cayalst Converter tune. I will open up a whole new world to you if you tow for sure.
aschuerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
We are RVer's off road probably90% of the time they should allow us to use off the road speck's.It would save diesal fuel used that would help country conserve and some of our RV friends wouldn't be thrown in jail for modifying their rig's.

Of course we know that want happen,but wouldn't it be nice,too much D--- goverment involvement in our live!We need Knicky Freedman!
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #19
a k

Newmar Owners Club
There are no emissions test for diesels in Missouri.(Or Montana) HA HA
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #20

aschuerg:

Sory I am from Missouri. No way a diesel that has the DPF removed can pass an emmsions test. Are you telling us the Sulfur magically disappears. Your claim of 12 to 14 mpg. is too far out to even warrant a reply. I would say more but we are polite in this forum?? Please provide some more info on these mods.

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #21

DATA ?????????????

I'm not trying to be a smart *** no one said remove the DPF I said core it out. We have emissions test here and the do a visual the filter is there nothing inside.
Second using low sulfer fuel What Sulfer???????????????
Third, MPG is hand calulated.
Lastly, I could supply you with all the data in the world to no avail and frankly I only wanted to share information.
aschuerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #22

Back to the OP, it seems that there is more troubleshooting to be done. The ECM has been reprogrammed and is presumably right now, but is the dpf is not clearing. Is it cleaning itself out at all, or is it just continually trying to clean itself with no results? Some diagnostic monitor is needed to see what it is really happening during a cleaning cycle. My educated guess is that the ECM is properly telling the dpf to clean itself and due to some malfunction nothing happens. BRW the title of this thread seems to have changed but I am responding to the original thread, not idle time for trucks.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote