Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1998 HR Endeavor DP - Problem Finding Exhaust Parts

Sorry for the long diatribe but I am looking for help from the forum with an ongoing problem I am having finding needed parts for my MH's exhaust.

The 1998 HR Endeavor DP exhaust has a 180 degree pipe that comes off the Pac Brake that goes to the muffler. I lost this pipe on my rig and have not been able to find a replacement.

I took the MH to my local Cummins Service Center and the parts manager spent several hours over a couple days trying to locate this 180 degree pipe to no avail. Apparently it was special-made part that is no longer made.

I have talked to local muffler shops and they state that they cannot (won't attempt to) make such a pipe as the curve is so tight.

I searched online, used RV parts shops and thought I had found one at Visonerv.com. They listed a wrecked 1998 Endeavor the same as mine and even had a picture showing the needed parts.

I ordered the exhaust and had it shipped directly to the Cummins shop. I received a call from the Cummins service rep who stated there was a problem with the exhaust system they received. I drove to the shop and they showed me what they had received. It looked nothing like the exhaust shown online.

I called Visonerv.com and was told I needed to talk to the person who had shipped the exhaust. He wasn't in the shop that day and was told he would call me the next day - it never happened. I called then again the following day and found out that the exhaust I ordered/purchased was no longer in stock so the shipping agent found an exhaust off of a 2002 HR Endeavor he thought I might be able to use. Now I have used parts that won't fit my rig and can't use my MH since the exhaust brake is directly by the transmission so all the heat dumps right there and I am afraid that the transmission could be damaged.

Has anyone had the same problem or have any suggestions on how to possibly resolve this issue?

Thanks in advanced.
GrandpaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
#1, Notify the C Card co to dispute the charge (Wrong Item Shipped)
#2, Call the supplier back, Tell them you are disputing the charge and ask them to arrange for return shipment if they want the parts back.

I would look for a diesel shop that does exhaust systems (might have check several) and have them look at it. I think that they will be your best bet.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to a truck parts place. I mean 18 wheeler size trucks. If they don't have a 90, they will know where to get one. They are a pretty common item, I found one in Mexico
Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1998 HR Endeavor DP - Problem Finding Exhaust Parts

Thanks for the suggestions. I have contacted the supplier about the disputed charges and they are working with me to resolve the issue.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Grandpalarry

Keep us posted on your issue with the supplier, if they don't make things right I'd like to know.

I've visited Visione Auto Mart several times and have bought items there. I have no complaints with their service and have recommended them on this and other sites several times but if they don't make things right I will not recommend them.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As the above poster said you need to be talking to a big rig parts store. I have seen 4" flex pipe you might be able to use. Check your exhaust pipe size some earlier coaches had 3" Exhaust. It would be a good upgrade going to 4" if that is the case.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #7

HI There

If you know the chassis man. get in touch with them it is prob a chassis part

Ben
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:39 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlydogs View Post
HI There

If you know the chassis man. get in touch with them it is prob a chassis part

Ben
Ben is Correct- Your Chassis man. is the one who part numbered and installed your exhaust.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Ben is Correct- Your Chassis man. is the one who part numbered and installed your exhaust.
I doubt they used a custom made part. Go to a TRUCK parts site and you can probably order it on line. Look for a shop that works on hotrod diesel trucks they should have the part or know who does.
Bill
Old 07-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
We'll , did you call Spartan ?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Look at www.mandrelbending-tubefabrication.com and contact them. They make exhaust system components for many applications.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That is a good resource thanks.
Bill
Old 08-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exhaust System Parts Found - Now Additional Problems

First let me apologize for the lengthy delay in replying to this post.

I finally found the "U" pipe that I needed by following one of the suggestions to contact Freightliner. I did not do this initially as I ASSuMEd that
Cummins would have done this in their efforts to find the part...guess not.

Freightliner had to special order the pipe and when it arrived I was surprised that it wasn't the single, unified part shown on Freightliner's site. It was just two 90 degree pipes welded together with one end flared into a flange shape.

Cummins is going to get the parts mounted but they found two additional problems.

1. The exhaust brake's butterfly valve is frozen and the unit needs to be replaced. I thought it was working OK since the transmission would drop to a lower gear and the rig did slow down.

2. They found that the seals/gaskets on two of the cylinders are blown out so I minimally need new gaskets and possibly a new exhaust manifold.

Oh well, live and learn.

This motor home is becoming a real BOAT -
Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Tags
parts