Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
1999 8.3 ISC fuel pump bad???

Hi- Looking for a little help here. I have a 1999 Monaco Windsor that we just bought 1.5 years ago. The owner before us used the coach mainly for tailgating at collage football and drove it less than 1000 miles a year. It had 48000 when we got it. We had all the normal service done at the Cummins shop in Harrisburg PA (great shop). All the filters were changed and the coach gone over all they found was a small crack in the exhaust manifold and all the engine software needed to be upgraded. I also had the PAX brake changed from a foot operated switch to a dash switch. We were leaving on a trip our west and the technician thought we would be OK with the exhaust manifold crack until after the trip. the trip went well over 6000 and the only problem I had was after going down a long hill using the PAX brake sometimes I would get hesitation (shuddering) when I accelerated at the bottom of the hill.

So now the coach is in Mesquite Nevada so i took it to Cummins Las Vegas yesterday (5-4)to have the manifold repaired, told them the hesitation (which I believe was associated with the cracked manifold and using the exhaust brake) and for fluid and filter service. I called today to see what they found and to find out when it would be done (I have an appointment with a RV dealer on Friday to have the Norcold recall done) and was told that the troubleshooting tech was looking at it and she would call me with an estimate of the time the coach would be there. I missed her call but she left a voice mail that it needed an exhaust manifold AND a fuel pump. I called her back and all the tech staff were gone for the day but she knew the factory did not have the manifold in stock and the fuel pump was the $4200 injector pump. I plan on calling the service advisor first thing in the morning because I just do not get this! The coach ran beautifully from Mesquite to Las Vegas no hesitation at all and plenty of power. ANY THOUGHTS would he greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff
jat143khc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #2

In conversation about the injector pump , find out why they say it's bad.
Your coach may have a Bosch VF-44 pump , which are prone to failure. They can also generate erroneous codes, when fuel filters are changed.
But the hesitation you were feeling may be related to the injector pump.
Ask how many starts ago the code was set; if the reason they are saying there is a pump problem is due to codes; if the number seems like it could date back to the time the filters were changed, could be the last shop set the code and didn't clear it. Some Engine Control Modules will store codes for 250 engine starts before the code migrates out of memory. Also ask if they checked lift pump pressure and volume. A bad lift pump can cause the injector pump to generate codes; it can also destroy the pump.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Skip426 - I will talk to the shop this morning and that information will be very helpful.
jat143khc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel