RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #1

1999 ISB 5.9 Power steering pump?

I think that is what it is. it's on the bottom of passenger side, has a hose around 1 1/2" OD goes to the side of the engine. is this correct, what is the hose for? mine has a big hole in it and oil all over the place. I am new to diesels any help would be appreciated so I can order the correct hose.

I did get the cracked surge tank out, not a lot of fun

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Yes, your description is the power steering pump. It also supplies hyd pressure to the engine cooling fan as well. ....you should be able to safely scoot under coach and see it.
Follow it to where it connects to pump. Is it held on with a hose clamp or a big fitting?
The one with hose clamp is fluid supply, low pressure, you may be able to cut some the hose off use a push on fitting union and only get by. This hose runs from tank to pump, maybe 4 or 5 feet long.
The fitting line is high pressure and must be replaced in one piece. This line is more difficult to replace, it runs over to fan motor.

EDIT....you have a rear radiator? If so, with out seeing your coach, the the high pressure line runs all the way to steering box ..

mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #3

Sounds like the air compressor suction line to me being 1.5” my ps hose is maybe 3/4” and as u say runs all the way to the front.

If its only a few feet long its the air compressor line.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
Sounds like the air compressor suction line to me being 1.5 my ps hose is maybe 3/4 and as u say runs all the way to the front.

If its only a few feet long its the air compressor line.
It probable wouldn't blow oil out everywhere if it was the air compressor suction line.

The steering pump need a bigger oil supply line to it, then the smaller high pressure line going to the front.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #5

it is a low pressure hose since it is held on at the engine side with a hose clamp and hose isn't all that thick. runs from the side of the engine block or head down to whatever the pump is.
thank you all for your responses
Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #6

Yep im pretty sure its the compressor intake. It has to hold back boost pressure from the turbo. If u have oil blowing ive found best to clean the engine as much as possible then short drive and look for source. I found several on mine that way but the cleaning process can be long and arduous.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #7

Good morning Skiddy; Sounds like the return line from the hydraulic tank to the hydraulic pump has failed. Had to have the one on my 01 Windsor replaced in 2016 after I changed the fluid and filters in the tank. Yes, it held on by just hose clamps as there is no pressure in the line. Those hoses get weak over the years and if yours is original, it held out for a long time. You can replace it yourself. Just make sure you get the correct hose for the fluid. The hose can be stuck in the fittings. Had to use a dermal wheel to slowly slice the hose off the hydraulic pump as it would not come off. Hope this info helps and good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #8

if the ps level is going down then thats the smoking gun otherwise keep looking elsewhere.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #9

starting to think it's the compressor intake but not for sure yet. going to degrease the engine tonight and see where the hose goes to on the other end.
thank you everyone for the responses
Old 01-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #10

here are the pictures
1st one is engine end
2nd is pump end
3rd is hose after removed
let me what you all think and where I might could find a replacement.
thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hose engine end.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	231349   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose pump end.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	231350  

Name:	hose off.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	231351  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #11

That sure looks like the the air compressor intake line especially since it wasnt full of fluid. But it looks like a standard radiator hose not the proper hose.

I got a new hose with my banks turbo kit , i would call your engine mfg ( if its cummins give them your engine sn) and they can look up from that. Or it could have been provided by the chasis mfg. or you could call gale banks engineering and see if they sell it separately or someone like cppdiesel.com or similar online. Get the right hose for sure because if it leaks your losing turbo boost / power. Std radiator hose not going to hold up. Herespic of mine the banks hose was red, i painted it black but some has come off. Its very stiff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA7EEA78-F89C-48C4-8FCD-9939CF8ACDB3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	231391  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
That sure looks like the the air compressor intake line especially since it wasnt full of fluid. But it looks like a standard radiator hose not the proper hose.

I got a new hose with my banks turbo kit , i would call your engine mfg ( if its cummins give them your engine sn) and they can look up from that. Or it could have been provided by the chasis mfg. or you could call gale banks engineering and see if they sell it separately or someone like cppdiesel.com or similar online. Get the right hose for sure because if it leaks your losing turbo boost / power. Std radiator hose not going to hold up. Herespic of mine the banks hose was red, i painted it black but some has come off. Its very stiff
Thank you Sir, yes that is what it is. I found the part number it's Cummins P/N 3949710. found one on ebay and at finditparts incase someone else is looking for one
Old 01-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Sorry I'm late here, but your original post was "oil all over the place"....
The picture you posted is the compressor inlet hose, but you see that now, ha-ha

I'd also Get a few cans of brake clean and spray area off to find the oil leak...

mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, power, steering