Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2017, 04:09 AM   #1

2000 Cummins isc 8.3 no start plz help

Hello this is my first time on a forum or posting on one .I have a 2000 fleetwood American tradition dp with a cummins 8.3 isc I just did oil change and bolth fuel filters and drove from LA. To SF without a single problem yesterday I fired up coach it barley idled then returned to normal I drove about 5 miles stopped at a light and when it turned green I hit the gas and. Nothing happened it cranks but no fire my friend was behind said a small puff of black smoke came out before I died so I'm now stuck on the side of the road .I have had a few people look with no luck it fired with ether that's it ..the only codes are inactive for irratic or low fuel pressure and erratic power supply I cleared the codes and nothing still I got a small booster pump and put in before the filter that is not on the side of the block. Still nothing .I'm stressing on this thing being towed any good mechanic in southern Cali can help I would appreciate. Or if someone can tell me how to remedy I pray its not the 4000$ pump that's bad. The motor has 84000 miles someone told me its a fuel shutoff solenoid but I can't find it on the motor thx in advance Eric
Privatemudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #2

Double check the fuel filters. A little air leak can cause what you are experiencing. Another thing to try is re-prime the fuel system just like you would when you change filters.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 PM   #3

Ok I re primed the filters and added a small booster pump before the filter furthest from the block and wired it to the battery. The noise of the pump priming when I turn key changed since I added pump. But it seems like there is something stopping it from reaching the main pump .pressure. Seems to be quite built up in filters the cummins tech on the phone told me that its a fuel shutoff solenoid is probably bad.but I cannot locate it to save my life the pics show it being mounted almost on the lift pump but I. See no solenoid only a round connector with aLot of wirwe coming in and out... Thx for the reply I'm seriously stuck roadside. Eric
Old 12-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

Man I wish I could help. Try posting the the general forum also. You will get more eyes on the post there.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #5

Morning. I am watching this as we have a 2000 Allure. I am curious about the filter change and now a no start condition. How are you making out? Can you verify weather or not you are getting fuel to the injection pump? Lift your bed and take a large wrench and open the fuel supply to the injection pump and turn on the key to start the lift pump? See if fuel is coming out of the fitting? Twice I have not let the lift pump run enough to completely bleed the air out and she was a bit piggy starting once I got air into the injection pump. I know the older diesels like ours with an injection pump if you get enough air you need to crack the injector lines on the head and crank it till fuel starts spraying out. The air compresses in the line to the injector and the fuel can't always push the air out. I don't want to mention starting fluid either. Try cracking the injector lines at the injector first and crank her, have someone crank or watch for fuel. You will know if you have fuel. Let us know.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Morning. I am watching this as we have a 2000 Allure. I am curious about the filter change and now a no start condition. How are you making out? Can you verify weather or not you are getting fuel to the injection pump? Lift your bed and take a large wrench and open the fuel supply to the injection pump and turn on the key to start the lift pump? See if fuel is coming out of the fitting? Twice I have not let the lift pump run enough to completely bleed the air out and she was a bit piggy starting once I got air into the injection pump. I know the older diesels like ours with an injection pump if you get enough air you need to crack the injector lines on the head and crank it till fuel starts spraying out. The air compresses in the line to the injector and the fuel can't always push the air out. I don't want to mention starting fluid either. Try cracking the injector lines at the injector first and crank her, have someone crank or watch for fuel. You will know if you have fuel. Let us know.
So I cracked open the hard line that goes to the head which I believe is one of the injectors and I had my girlfriend turn the key forward till I could hear the pump Prime do I need to have her turn the motor over in order for gas to be coming out of the injector? Tomorrow I will add two new fuel filters as I didn't have time today the book says not to fill the filters with diesel because it can damage the fuel system it says they self Prime but everybody tells me that I should Prime them and going by experience with everything else I've ever worked on my judgment says I should fill them up does anyone know if there is some sort of fuel shut off solenoid I know on the older Motors there's a mechanical shut off with a little arm that moves in and out when you crank the motor my motor does not have this so I'm guessing there is an electric solenoid of some sort somewhere I just can't seem to find it I also pulled the line that goes into the first fuel filter and added a small diesel booster pump and wired it to the battery just in case that probably was not able to pull fuel from the tank it seems as if something is stopping the fuel from getting to the high pressure pump
Old 01-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
TR4

Here’s where I would start. Go here: https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
Register, it’s free. Enter your serial number.
Go to troubleshooting and repair manual.
Go to familiarization.
Go to fuel system-overview

Read up on how a CAPS fuel injection pump works. You’ll have to get a professional mechanic to diagnose the CAPS pump. If you have two filters, crack the one just before the pump (secondary). Put a small bucket under the filter and turn on the key and see if you get fuel coming out. If you see no fuel, then the problem is before the CAPS.

Good luck!

Bill
Old 01-03-2018, 02:21 AM   #8

Cracked filter near pump

So I cracked the line going into the secondary filter that is mounted next to the lift pump on the side of the block fuel is coming out foamy and inconsistent. Example : turn key forward without cranking motor I hear lift pump priming and then I get intermediate foamy fuel. Kinda like when fresh water tank is almost empty on coach and u hear it and there is no solid stream . hopefully makes sense.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Are you certain there's fuel in tank.....it sounds like low fuel, air n system.

Remove and fill all fuel filters with clean fuel, loosen (not remove) injector lines a fee turns, crank engine over for 30, 45 seconds at the time, wait a minute or so and crank some more until you see fuel leaking at the loose lines. Tighten lines, holding foot throttle wide open crank engine...if it starts, run @ 1200 or so for a short bit to get all air out of fuel system...

Do not use or let someone talk you into using either or starting fluid in it as you can damage engine internally...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #10

So to answer earlier question yes, turn over motor when you crack the injection lines. The injector lines are the six coming off the injection pump each one going to one cylinder.

It does sound like you have air in the system. There are rubber o rings that come with some of the filters that go around the threaded stud on the filter housing. Sometimes they are hard to see. Did one tear or fall off? Did you install a second o ring by mistake? Just asking. Also if you do have air has a suction side of your fuel line come loose or crack allowing it to suck air?

How are things going so far?
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #11
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privatemudd View Post
So I cracked the line going into the secondary filter that is mounted next to the lift pump on the side of the block fuel is coming out foamy and inconsistent. Example : turn key forward without cranking motor I hear lift pump priming and then I get intermediate foamy fuel. Kinda like when fresh water tank is almost empty on coach and u hear it and there is no solid stream . hopefully makes sense.
Sounds like your pulling in air. Remember, the fuel line before the CAPS is on the “suction” side of the fuel system. If you have filters that are not sealing, leaking lift pump, cracked fuel lines or bad fittings, your gear pump on the CAPS will pull in air and not fuel from the tank.

Since you said foam in the fuel, I would start with the plumbing before the CAPS. The quick serve website that I posted, has a troubleshooting guide.

Bill

Tags
cummins, no start