Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2001 Cummins 8.3 CM554 350 hp power increase

Looking for some trustworthy information on increasing the hp/torque of my Cummins 8.3. From what I have seen, the Allison 3060 transmission will handle 450 hp and 1200 ft lbs of torque. I have talked to the owner of US Diesel chips. He offers an upgrade for $995 that will give 100 hp and 200 ft lbs of torque. H claims that it will not increase the egt’s Or the water temp. Has anyone heard of this? He supposedly tricks the computer to think it’s 100 ft higher in elevation, thus increasing the fuel pressure. Curious to see if anyone else has bought one of these, and if it’s all true. Is there another way to get more out of this “Capps” system?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Plenty of chips out there, and you can probably realize a good increase in hp/torque. But I would spend a couple of hundred more to get a pyrometer. More power means more heat. If you know exhaust and water temps, you have a pretty good handle on things and can let off on the gas if temps rise.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Tricking the motor to assume a 100 ft higher in elevation will not give you 100HP.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
That was my thought as well. Plus how do you make make hp without heat?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The very best kit for the ISC was the Banks kit. It has been out of producton for some time because the controller board is not longer available. You could try eBay or call Banks and see if they plan to resume production.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

I installed banks kit on my isb and eru happy. Id call them and check i know they just released next gen big hoss tuner because i may have got the first one shipped maybe its for isc also not sure.

Making more hp = more fuel burn = more heat when your pushing it. I spent a lot of time cleaning cac and rad and have had no issues with overheat, maybe +3 degf over normal pulling long grade in TX hill country according to my scangauge The banks also includes pyrometer and the tuner will automatically derate fuel if EGT gets too high. I think this is the safest hp / torque increase because they do meticulous engineering on their products. I also upgraded from 3” to 4” exhaust with steed speed exhaust manifold, they claim 40hp. More power on diesel is just getting more air and fuel in and more exhaust out you have to do it all to get the best results. I wouldn’t recommend increasing turbo boost pressure with stock head bolts, i replaced stock head gasket with cometic brand (best u can buy) and arp head studs and run up to 30# boost , she pulls like a beast and got 10mpg avg pulling trailer last trip in high winds running between 60-65 on i-10
Old 01-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
Looking for some trustworthy information on increasing the hp/torque of my Cummins 8.3. From what I have seen, the Allison 3060 transmission will handle 450 hp and 1200 ft lbs of torque. I have talked to the owner of US Diesel chips. He offers an upgrade for $995 that will give 100 hp and 200 ft lbs of torque. H claims that it will not increase the egt’s Or the water temp. Has anyone heard of this? He supposedly tricks the computer to think it’s 100 ft higher in elevation, thus increasing the fuel pressure. Curious to see if anyone else has bought one of these, and if it’s all true. Is there another way to get more out of this “Capps” system?
Thanks
Ken im sure you are aware that our capps engine fuel system is a weak sister and prone to problems even without a chip and i cant see how you can increase HP on a diesel without a increase in EGT more fuel = more EGT.
I have chipped Diesel engines before and always had to watch EGT.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
That was my thought as well. Plus how do you make make hp without heat?
It may be possible, but no-one has ever performed the feat yet. The result of work is heat, it that were not true we could eliminate radiators in vehicles.
Ken Thompson, engine valves begin to soften and melt at 1,350°F; which is why the recommendations to install a pyrometer FIRST.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our previous '02 DSDP w/ISC 350 I installed the Banks kit. Made a noticeable difference. Banks testing showed a conservative 435/1200. Also included a turbo pressure gauge and pyro.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
I installed banks kit on my isb and eru happy. Id call them and check i know they just released next gen big hoss tuner because i may have got the first one shipped maybe its for isc also not sure.

Making more hp = more fuel burn = more heat when your pushing it. I spent a lot of time cleaning cac and rad and have had no issues with overheat, maybe +3 degf over normal pulling long grade in TX hill country according to my scangauge The banks also includes pyrometer and the tuner will automatically derate fuel if EGT gets too high. I think this is the safest hp / torque increase because they do meticulous engineering on their products. I also upgraded from 3” to 4” exhaust with steed speed exhaust manifold, they claim 40hp. More power on diesel is just getting more air and fuel in and more exhaust out you have to do it all to get the best results. I wouldn’t recommend increasing turbo boost pressure with stock head bolts, i replaced stock head gasket with cometic brand (best u can buy) and arp head studs and run up to 30# boost , she pulls like a beast and got 10mpg avg pulling trailer last trip in high winds running between 60-65 on i-10

I would like to know where got the Steed Speed Exhaust Monifold?
Thanks, Bill
FIREBALLBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBALLBILL View Post
I would like to know where got the Steed Speed Exhaust Monifold?
Thanks, Bill
Got mine from puredieselproducts but heres their dealer page. Mine was around $750 and still love it been running it about 8 months and probably 3k miles. Best of luck to you.

https://steedspeed.com/dealers/

Tags
cummins, power