RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
what is oat coolant change interval?
last year after 4 years' use, i thought the filters were due so i simply changed filters and the fluid altogeter.

8 years or 300K miles on the initial charge. They recommend adding extender at 300-400K to get an additional 300K. You don't need the filter since you don't add SCAs with an OAT coolant and Cummins Quick Serv says the filter is just a blank with no Silicate and very little coolant goes through it.

Some places Peak says 1 million miles, other places they say 300-600K with an extender. I have never seen an extender labeled "Peak".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I’ve got the Freightliner Fleetcharge that came with our coach...but I planned to flush and changeover to Final Charge OAT. I was under the impression the service interval was one million hwy miles... If you don’t mind me asking, what service interval are you using with the Final Charge? Thanks.

I tried buying 3-way test strips at the Tampa Show from the Freightliner folks. They only had strips that expired a month ago. So, for having them on hand for the next year...so I can test, dose, retest...every 6 months...why would they think I want to buy expired test strips?.. Anyway...I’m over it. Ready to get away from these ridiculous SCA coolants.

By the way...does your engine have a WF type filter? Our ISL does not...but I believe I could purchase the parts to add a filter. I’m just wondering if it’s prudent to filter the coolant...especially since it’s got such a long, Long, service life...
8 years or 300k miles according to peak. You can get 600K if you add extender at 300K. My coach has a filter--there is a blank for use with OAT coolant. Very little coolant goes through the filter so I wouldn't bother adding one.

The only reason I am changing mine at this time is because I had a heater hose leak and had to drain out almost half the coolant anyway. I didn't want to put the used back in so it made sense to just change it.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here's the warranty.

"FINAL CHARGE® features an advanced Organic Acid Technology formula for use in the engines of heavy-duty vehicles and stationary equipment (the “Equipment”) – without the need for supplemental coolant additives. Old World Industries, LLC (“Old World”) warrants to the owner of the Equipment (“Equipment Owner”) – for a period of ONE MILLION MILES or 8 years of on-road use, whichever is earlier (or 20,000 hours or 8 years of off-road use, whichever is earlier)(collectively, the “Warranty Period”) – that it will pay for the repair or replacement, at Old World’s option, of those parts of the Equipment’s antifreeze or cooling system (the “A&C System”) that fail or show abnormal wear from rust, corrosion or cavitation, as determined by Old World, as a direct result of using FINAL CHARGE® during the Warranty Period; provided that: (1) the Equipment (including its A&C System) meets and was properly used and maintained in accordance with the original Equipment manufacturer’s specifications and recommendations; (2) FINAL CHARGE® was installed, used and maintained (including an initial and complete A&C System flush and fill and subsequent topping off, as needed) in accordance with Old World’s specifications and with the directions on the Product label; (3) the Equipment was used under normal operating conditions and in accordance with Old World’s specifications; (4) the Equipment Owner maintains records verifying the condition set forth in items (1) through (3) above, including the FINAL CHARGE® sales receipt(s); and (5) the Equipment Owner certifies that no other products have been added to the FINAL CHARGE® Product."

One thing that caught my eye was it warrants damage to the antifreeze or cooling system, no mention of the engine itself. That makes me wonder if they would cover damage to the cylinder liners.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #18

Made an appointment at a Freightliner Oasis Service Center to have the engine cooling system drained, flushed and refilled. Having read all the posts regarding the problem of the Freightliner cooling system sensors being damaged by non-SCA coolant, mentioned the label on the radiator stating "Use only Fully Formulated (w/SCA) Purple HD Conventional Coolant" and asked if that would be used. Was told that the service facility was a Freightliner Service Center and only used Freightliner Factory approved parts. After completion of the work reviewed the detailed invoice stating that Fleetguard CC36077 ES Compleat EG OAT coolant had been used. Researched this coolant and noted that it is an OAT coolant and not an SCA coolant. Became concerned that it would damage the sensors installed by Freightliner and cause an engine shutdown. Called the Freightliner Customer Assistance Center 1-800-385-4357 and related the concern. Was told that yes, the OAT coolant would damage the sensors and needed to be drained and replaced by SCA coolant. Called the Freightliner Oasis Service Manager and explained the problem. He said that he would research it and call me back. He did call me back and said that he had called his known contacts at the Freightliner Factory and had been told that the engine coolant needed to meet ASTM standard D6210 in order to meet all Freightliner requirements and that Fleetguard CC36077 ES Compleat EG OAT coolant did meet this standard. I was relieved but was somewhat bewildered by receiving such opposing positions so I called the Freightliner Customer Assistance Center back. It was clear that the Oasis Service Manager had called them. I was told that all of the Customer Assistance representatives had gotten together for a group meeting following the call from the Oasis Service Manager, discussed the issue and determined that Fleetguard CC36077 ES Compleat EG OAT coolant would not cause damage to the sensors installed in the cooling system. So after being told twice that it was okay and only once that it wasn't I felt more relieved.

2012 Itasca Meridian 34Y with Cummins ISB, 2012 Honda CRV toad, Blue Ox baseplates and tow bar, M&G Engineering braking system, Toad Charge, Roadmaster tow defender
market is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #19

Everything I have read that Cummins has published is in favor of OAT. Maybe the OP got someone with their own opinion. I changed as well even though the coolant was relatively new.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion View Post
I contacted Freightliner and was told to stick with the SCA coolant in my 2001 ISC 350Hp and go ahead and flush and replace hoses and SCA filter but stay with SCA in my engine?
Opinions?
When I bought my coach it had green coolant in the system. When I developed a slow leak out in the middle of nowhere I went looking for the proper coolant to top off with. Man, I had a lot of learning to do! Most auto parts store employees knew less than I did about antifreezes for diesel engines let alone wet liners and Supplemental Coolant Additives. NAPA seemed to be the only national chain with a broad parts inventory and employees who knew (usually) what parts a diesel needed and how to get them.
I ended up buying the NAPA coolant pre- charged with SCAs as pictured below. As soon as possible I confirmed with a Cummins Parts Department employee I had purchased the proper coolant for my coach.
I recently had to replace all my coolant and had a long conversation on the subject with a very experienced Cummins rep. I trust. He convinced me to flush and refill with the orange colored Extended Life ES Compleat OAT coolant. He said that was just about all they were using these days. I was happy to pay a premium to not have to worry about buying and using SCA test strips or worry about damage to my wet liners if I got lazy or forgot to stay on top of the testing.
The recommended orange OAT coolant is at the top of the attached list and the green conventional SCA coolant is at the bottom.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180419_133421208_HDR.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	229002Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181027_221031688.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	229003

2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote