Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #1

2002 Cummins 8.3 L ISC 330

Hey Guys,

I was going to tackle changing out the coolant in my coach for the newer Extended Life OAT type coolant. Can I use any type OAT coolant like FinalCharge? Are there any I should just stay away from? Cummins in Canada is very expensive for everything so I would like to avoid buying the coolant from them unless I have to. Thanks for your input.
6mmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Not "any type OAT" but any one which passed CES14603 standard - Final Charge, Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT, Shell Ultra, Chevron Delo Nitrite-Free OAT... Due to the different organic acid combinations they use, don't mix them. Whatever you use stay with it for refilling low coolant levels.

I got the concentrated Final Charge Global from O'Reilly's Auto Parts a year ago.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmhunter View Post
Hey Guys,

I was going to tackle changing out the coolant in my coach for the newer Extended Life OAT type coolant. Can I use any type OAT coolant like FinalCharge? Are there any I should just stay away from? Cummins in Canada is very expensive for everything so I would like to avoid buying the coolant from them unless I have to. Thanks for your input.
I bought the Final charge on line a year ago, case of 50/50 and 3 gallons of the concentrate. After 4 good system flushing s, I added 2 of the concentrate first, then filled the rest of the way with the 50/50. Worked out well. Don't forget to install the "Blank" coolant filter. I used DI water to do my flush's of the cooling system.

Cummins water requirements for hardness, <170PPM
When flushing, make sure to turn on the dash heat control to hot so all the old coolant in the heater hoses and the dash heater core is circulated out. Do the same after filling with the Final charge after filling..........leaving the dash heat control on hot.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #4

I am about to replace my leaky radiator with a new copper/steel unit and am changing to Final Charge. What filter do I use? I know it will have no chemicals in it; just need a brand and number. ISC 330 2002 THX TB
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANDD View Post
I am about to replace my leaky radiator with a new copper/steel unit and am changing to Final Charge. What filter do I use? I know it will have no chemicals in it; just need a brand and number. ISC 330 2002 THX TB
NAPA # 4070 is the "Blank" filter, you can cross that number to what kind of filter you want to use, here is a Fleetguard filter WF2077
http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/fl...e-p-v52-wf2077

Old 02-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #6

Thank You! Just the info I needed. Picked up the new radiator today; the work will begin soon. Unfortunately, I will not be able to flush the system until I install new rad due to freezing temps at night here in the great NW. Wish me luck! THX TB
Old 02-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

OP - First post? Welcome to the gang!!

And X's 2 that Final Charge is a good choice. I took the advice of another Country Coach owner, when he pointed out that it's more likely then not, to find Final Charge available at truck stops.

Another tip, that I followed, was to have the radiator also flushed and changed over to Final Charge (Or whatever you choose.) at the same time. So you can carry a spare gallon of say 50/50 Final Charge to cover for top off's of both.

Palehorse89's process of flushing with distilled water is the route we went too, and yes to the blank cartridge.

Good time to check hoses too, and a new thermostat sure would not hurt either!

Best of luck to you, and again, welcome,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
OP - First post? Welcome to the gang!!

And X's 2 that Final Charge is a good choice. I took the advice of another Country Coach owner, when he pointed out that it's more likely then not, to find Final Charge available at truck stops.

Another tip, that I followed, was to have the radiator also flushed and changed over to Final Charge (Or whatever you choose.) at the same time. So you can carry a spare gallon of say 50/50 Final Charge to cover for top off's of both.

Palehorse89's process of flushing with distilled water is the route we went too, and yes to the blank cartridge.

Good time to check hoses too, and a new thermostat sure would not hurt either!

Best of luck to you, and again, welcome,
Smitty
Yes, belts, hoses and thermostat while in there, per posts on this forum. I will be following instructions of "Freedmeister" from 11/2013; he gives a great tutorial! I really appreciate all the help and support from the folks here! THX TB
Old 05-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi TanDD. I cam across your posts about changing a radiator in the holiday rambler. I have that leaky radiator in mine too. Having trouble finding a replacement radiator. Can you give me some leads? Not sure what you did with the coolant you where using did you have any recommendations?
Rich
Old 05-17-2022, 11:18 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
OP...our 2000 8.3 ISC 330 required Compleat EG (blue) coolant, according to Cummins. Something about coolant sensor compatibility. Anyways, a new water pump, hoses, flush and fill with six gallons of Compleat EG Blue concentrate and it hasn't been an issue. The coolant will probably outlive me lol....
You may want to check with Dr. Cummins if OAT, such as Final Charge is right for you.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins