RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Exclamation 2002 HR Ambassador Cummins lift pump

OK newbie here on posting. On a 5700 mile road trip from Paso Robles I have an issue with the warning light it will pulse on, and power and boost both buck and it is every 8 sec on a climb or under load. Did a little research on the dreaded Cummings VP44 and found that the lift pump (this one not in tank) is considered the culprit. Following someones advice of adding a pressure gauge between water separator and VP44 (fuel pump) to check for 5-8psi under load and not just Idle. Needing to clear the way to pump found Ambient Air Sensor (#3085140) on top of the lift pump mount and Cummings has given an upgrade to a newer model.
(#4902720 Ambient Air Pressure Sensor Replacement. For Cummins.)
The things you find out on line is fantastic. Once the sensor had been removed the lift pump nuts we accessible. Now comes the choice of a newer OEM pump (which reviews claim they do not last) or a redesigned Pure Flow "FRRP" Factory Replacement Raptor Pump" for Dodge product on Cummins a 15psi pump. Need to modify for mounting and hose attachment. A small coolant leak develpoed the HR had no access to the tank clamp so I drilled some holes to remove fiberglass and remove old hose clamp. If I can figure out a way to post photos I will.Spent $1500 at a Kenworth truck repair in Columbus NE to get error code and fix leak at holding tank. I did not expect that. All I wanted was the error code they tried to prove the VP44 bad. Now sitting here waiting on pressure gage and sensor hoping the VP44 is not the issue, according to all I have read it seems the Pressure gage and lift pump are a must. Anyone familiar with this same issue would love to hear your thoughts.

Pasojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #2

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1570250479

This is the drill job for access
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2127.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	262491  

Old 10-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #3

http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/irv2/attach/jpg.gif

Close up sorry sideways
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	262492  
Old 10-04-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/irv2/attach/jpg.gif

Here is the Ambient Air Sensor (old)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C7P%oD3OQsaAiQSchFVciQ.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	262493  
Old 10-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #5

I hate to say it but the VP-44 is so fragile ; when it comes to being starved for fuel ; by plugged filters and bad lift pumps. I would think you'll end up replacing yours.
Twelve years retired from, thirty-three years at a Dodge dealer with the last fourteen doing Cummins repairs . The VP-44 was the bane of my working life, I do think I could change one with my eyes closed . Worst of the four fuel systems that Dodge/Cummins used .
Over 70% of the fuel that runs through the VP-44 is used for lubrication and cooling and returned to the fuel tank , take away that flow and the pump burns up and wears out internally.
JMHO: Replace the pump with the 15 psi high low , and mount it off the side of the block ; to isolate it from the heat and vibration of the engine ; a kit from Dodge , moved the lift pump back into the fuel tank to deal with failures on the pick up trucks.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #6

Which Cummins engine has this problem?
Old 10-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #7

5.9 2002Cummings ........I believe its 300HP
Old 10-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #8

If it has a vp44, it is 275 hp. The following year they changed to the common rail fuel system, and increased the hp. I was getting a low fuel pressure code on mine. We found the lift pump had a leak. Instead of replacing it with an OEM pump, we put in a FASS fuel pump instead. We mounted it beside the engine near the old one, and eliminated the two fuel filters on the engine as the FASS has the same two filters. We had to run a new large return line to the fuel tank, as we were getting too high of fuel pressure trying to T into the return from the VP44. In the end, it was too late, and replacing the lift pump didn't get rid of the low fuel pressure code. We ended up replacing the vp44 as well. We took out the rad to change the Vp44. It was easier. While in there, I changed out the rad, water pump and tensioner, as well as the serpentine belt. Did you get a low fuel pressure code when they tested it. If you don't have one, buy a code reader. I have the scanguageD. It doesn't give you Cummins codes, but you can find them online or call scanguage.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Which Cummins engine has this problem?
1998 1/2 to 2002 , 5.9 ISB 24 valve Cummins, the first few years of the 24 valve .

http://www.drivingline.com/articles/...eries-cummins/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BOSCH VP44 INJECTION PUMP FAILURES EXPLAINED.pdf (32.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #10

If you need one, Blue Chip Diesel has really good pumps......I've picked up 1 1/2 miles per gallon.....and no up front core required......also loans the gear removal puller......and my Carter lift pump puts out 11 at idle and 9 at 1600 rpm which is 65 mph...
Old 10-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #11

CumminGs
flan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #12

I think I will change the belt and at 58,000 maybe the water pump as well?. Seem's the radiator might need to come out. Have you experience on HR ambassadors?
Old 10-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #13

If you have the rear rad configuration with the charge air cooler in front of it, it is probably easier to replace the vp44 with the rad out of the way. This way you can access the gear housing to pull the gear off. If you have a side rad, that may not be necessary. I don't have a HR, but I have the same engine. IF it is the original rear rad, and you need to change the vp44, it is a good time to inspect and clean the rad and CAC. We changed my rad, water pump, belt, and tensioner while we could get to it easily. You might consider your A/c belt as well, and possibly the alternator if it is still the original. We also changed a few rad pipes, and the tranny lines as well. This is all preventive maintenance of course, but these things are much easier with the rad out of the way. The alternator isn't too bad to change with the rad in place. Mine had been changed about six months earlier, so it didn't need changed. Hopefully your problem wont be the vp44. Between the Fass pump, and the vp44, I spent about $4000Cdn, the wp44 being $3000 of it.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #14

Take a look at Blue Chips web page....pretty good info there...I found a set of factory manuals on Ebay...