Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #1

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 4spd Auto Fuel Filter change request

Hi forum,

Does anyone have a 5.9L that can give me instructions on how to change the fuel filter?

I would hate to get air into the lines and not have the truck start afterward.

I was hoping any of you who change your own fuel filter could walk me through the steps to do so so that I do not mess up being able to start it with fuel problems afterwards. I have heard you cannot get air into the fuel system or the engine will not start easy afterward.

Thanks
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #2

Did you read the O&M guide that came with the truck? This is your owner’s manual by the way.
Now the 5.9L, 2006 fuel filter is mounted different than the 6.7L engine and is service differently, from underneath the truck.
The way I do my filter change is as follows.
1. Un-plug the WIF (water in fuel) sensor.
2. Put on an extension hose on the drain hose for the fuel filter (3/8ID brake hose will work). Place this extension hose in a glass jar on the floor of the garage or solid surface.
3. Open drain start wheel and let filter drain of fuel. (If you do not do this you will receive a bath of diesel fuel.)
4. When empty open fuel filter housing (5.9L is different than 6.7L housing)
5. Insert new fuel filter element and "O"-ring into housing per instructions.
6. Close up housing and close drain wheel also.
7. Reconnect WIF sensor.
8. Bump start the engine but do not let the engine start. Leave key in the on position. The fuel pump will start to run and fill the filter with fuel. You may need to do this two or more time to fill the filter completely.
9. Turn key off and then back on and start the engine this injections system will purge the air from the fuel lines.
Jim W.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The 2006 Dodge Ram 5.9L ISB fuel filter is serviced from on top on the drivers side of the engine. It is a large black plastic cannister. It takes a very large socket, or a large Crescent wrench to remove the threaded filter top. The filter element is then lifted out and the new one put back in. There is an o-ring on the threaded top that should be replaced.

It is not necessary to refill the filter with fuel. Just replace the threaded filter top and tighten. Cycle the key to the on position and wait a few seconds, then off and back on again. This will activate the electric fuel pump and fill the filter. Then start the engine and check for leaks.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
The 2006 Dodge Ram 5.9L ISB fuel filter is serviced from on top on the drivers side of the engine. It is a large black plastic cannister. It takes a very large socket, or a large Crescent wrench to remove the threaded filter top. The filter element is then lifted out and the new one put back in. There is an o-ring on the threaded top that should be replaced.

It is not necessary to refill the filter with fuel. Just replace the threaded filter top and tighten. Cycle the key to the on position and wait a few seconds, then off and back on again. This will activate the electric fuel pump and fill the filter. Then start the engine and check for leaks.
So if I am understanding correctly: The first answered post by Jimcumminsw is describing the 6.7L type where I would drain the fuel with a hose into a jar and the filter gets replaced from under the truck.

You are stating that the 5.9L is different in that I do all the work from on-top and I do not need to drain the filter housing? It is just a matter of opening it up replaceing the filter with a new O-ring closing it and then just cycling the "on" switch "no bumping engine" and the housing will fill with fuel?

I am going to assume the injector system will purge the fuel system of air yes?

Any other advice you could give would be great. Thanks. Never have done this before, and the reason I did not consult my owners manual is I was guessing it would not have the steps to walk me through a diesel filter change as most people probably have a dealer or garage do this. But I will look at my owners manual too. Learn something new everyday.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
So if I am understanding correctly: The first answered post by Jimcumminsw is describing the 6.7L type where I would drain the fuel with a hose into a jar and the filter gets replaced from under the truck.

You are stating that the 5.9L is different in that I do all the work from on-top and I do not need to drain the filter housing? It is just a matter of opening it up replaceing the filter with a new O-ring closing it and then just cycling the "on" switch "no bumping engine" and the housing will fill with fuel?

I am going to assume the injector system will purge the fuel system of air yes?
Yes, on the 2006 Dodge 5.9L ISB Cummins the fuel filter is changed from the top. No need to drain anything or refill it. Just open it up, replace the filter and o-ring. If I remember correctly, the filter actually fits onto the screw on top. They sell a special filter socket that is very handy. You might try eBay.
Good luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Yes, on the 2006 Dodge 5.9L ISB Cummins the fuel filter is changed from the top. No need to drain anything or refill it. Just open it up, replace the filter and o-ring. If I remember correctly, the filter actually fits onto the screw on top. They sell a special filter socket that is very handy. You might try eBay.
Good luck!

Ditto
Greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

I think the above answers are incorrect. As has been mentioned the newer engines 1998 and later had a built in air purge system that the earlier trucks do not. So, after draining the filter and lossening the housing, replace filter element all from above and tighten back down the housing. Get a broom stick and pump the lift pump plunger (its down below the filter housing with a yellow or white rubber accordian button.) Its hard to see, keep pumping the button until it gets hard to pump. This fills the fuel filter housing with fuel manually. The hard pump indicates its amost full. My memory is that there is a bleed nipple on the top of the filter housing. Pump until you see fuel escaping or crack a delivery hose to fuel distribution pump. Tighten the bleed screw back down. Now, try starting the truck. If it starts it will run rough until the air purges. If the truck doesnt start pump the plunger with a broom stick some more and try again.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #8

Oh, and by the way, the ISB designation on Cummins 5.9 did not appear until 2008.5 year so a 96 is just a B 5.9 engine. All the earlier Cummins engines had a lift pump with a plunger and in my opinion a better fuel system then the later ISBs. ISBs had a nasty habit of burning through delivery pumps and a too small delivery system that starved the pump of fuel. Those pumps were very sensitive to delivery pressure that the 95, 96, and 97 were not.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
Oh, and by the way, the ISB designation on Cummins 5.9 did not appear until 2008.5 year so a 96 is just a B 5.9 engine. All the earlier Cummins engines had a lift pump with a plunger and in my opinion a better fuel system then the later ISBs. ISBs had a nasty habit of burning through delivery pumps and a too small delivery system that starved the pump of fuel. Those pumps were very sensitive to delivery pressure that the 95, 96, and 97 were not.
-Paul R. Haller-
It must be shear luck I ran into no issues. I did not plunge the fuel bowl. I did not even see a plunger. I saw a yellow cock valve that I opened attached to a clear tube that I further extended by slipping it into a piece of PVC pipe I fashioned to carry the drained off fuel to an awaiting receptacle on the garage floor. I opened the black plastic lid drained out all the fuel from the bowl. Once the bowel was drained I suctioned out any small debris in the bottom of the bowel (it looked like a very small amount of very fine black sand). I then wiped the bowel clean popped the fuel filter into the clips on the black fuel bowl housing lid after I had installed the O ring. Tightened the cap to the recommended torque and then closed the yellow valve. I then turned the ignition key on like 7 or 8 times without turning over the motor, and the electric fuel pump re-filled the bowl. I turned the truck over on the 9th time and she started right up with no hesitation or rough idle afterward, so I have to guess it was mission accomplished. I have noticed no fuel leak and everything seems to be fine. Next time I do this again I will have a better handle on the situation. Thank you all for you advice and instructions.

To be sure, next time I have the hood open I will inspect the bottom of the fuel bowl and see if I can find the prime "pump" you are speaking of. That set aside it appears the electric fuel pump did the filling and any residual air must have been purged by the injectors.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #10

Well, I'm glad to hear you had no problems. The earlier trucks are a different fuel delivery system hen the ISB. They use an electric pump to the fuel bowl and screen located next to the mechanical lift pump. Then, the mechanical lift pump pushed the fuel up from there. Without the engine running there is no way to prime the system easily. Because of this peculiarity, Cummins added the plunger to the lift pump to aid in priming the systen so the mechanical lift pump could work and you wern't stuck if you ran out of fuel. If you left fuel in the bowl when inserting the filter it helps prime the system. Alls well that ends well.

Look for the plunger under the manifild and the lift pumps works off a lobe on the camshaft. By the way, those early pumps on the Cummins 5.9 engine were called million mile pumps because they often went that far before a rebuild was done unless the engine was highly uprated. Its located low and forward slightly from the filter canister and its hard to see especially if coverd with oil like so many are. It can only be reached with a pole or broom stick from above. You really do need to know where that pump is in case you ever run out of fuel The truck absolutely will not start with out priming first if you run out of fuel.

The ISB pumps used excess fuel to cool the pumps and when delivery pressure fell it would fry the pump. The ISBs were notorious for fuel delivery problems and why so many had an add on fuel pressure gauge along with the big 3... Boost pressure, pyrometer, and tranny temp in the aftermarket.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Paul, not sure if that was a typo, but the Cummins ISB was introduced in late 1998. The "IS" stands for Cummins Interact System of electronic controls and the B is the B series 5.9L engine. Below is a table of the B series engine generations.

Cummins Generations:

Years-Generation-Significant Features
1989-19931st Generation 5.9L - 12 valve 5.9L- VE mechanical injection pump
- Holset Turbocharger

1994-19982nd Generation 5.9L - 12 valve 5.9L- P7100 mechanical injection pump
- Holset Turbocharger

1998.8-20022nd Generation 5.9L - 24 valve 5.9L- VP44 mechanical injection pump
- Holset Turbocharger

2003-20073rd Generation 5.9L - 24 valve 5.9L ISB- Bosch High Pressure Common Rail, CP3 injection pump - Holset Turbocharger

2007.5-current3rd Generation 6.7L - 24 valve 6.7L ISB- Bosch High Pressure Common Rail, CP3 injection pump- Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)- Diesel Particulate filter
Old 06-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I just did mine;
Unscrew top of filter canister
remove cap, filter stays attached
remove filter
Snap new filter onto cap
change O ring
reinstall cap
DONT OVER TIGHTEN