Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

2008 ISL 425 Cold weather starting

Planning trip out of Michigan mid January, I'd guess the ambient temps to be 20 ish then.

I have left the MH full of fuel with full bottle of Howe's additive in 150 gallon tank, took the MH on a run to be sure new fuel is through the ISL and through the Onan generator before shutting it down last month

Motorhome is parked in an outdoor storage lot, no 120V power to use.

I do not have a 120V plug in block heater but do have an Oasis system with block heating option

What's the opinions on:

A, cycle the igniton key a few times and start the engine.

B, hauling out a small gas generator plug in the MH run it overnight plugged into the shore cord and run the Oasis that will pull 8 - 10 amps and use the Oasis block heater, also will keep the house batteries charged

C, run the Onan diesel generator overnight and Oasis block heater

D, set the AGS to come one when the house batteries reach 12.0VDC use only house batteries and the Oasis overnight

I'm assuming it will take 8 - 10 hours to warm up the block from 20 degrees F. for an easy engine start

Thanks for your opinions

Rich

Rich n Sue 2008 Mandalay 43A #3166 FL XC with ISL 425 2012 Jeep GC, Blue Ox with Apollo
1996 Winnebago Vectra 230 Diesel
2000 Fleetwood Tioga Montara
RichnSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
All options would work if there were no problems. I would opt for C... turn block heat on as well as interior furnace. Since you have 2 elect heat elements, you good get by with that rather than using the Diesel option, you use both if you are not sure. This would also keep batts topped off for the beginning of your trip (Im not a fan of using the alternator to charge a large bank of house batts).

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

RichnSue
20F temperature is not that low, for starting your DP without heating the engine. I have not yet used my block heater and I live close to Niagara Falls. I have started my DP below -5F without any problems. I keep my batteries in good shape and charged. The warm up is shorter if you use your block heater. I would use a block heater if the temperatures were below -22F for a couple of days.
I think it is much a matter of choice and comfort you have in your equipment. Myself I work in the construction field were we often don't use block heaters. We do a lot of preventative maintenance to ensure the equipment starts every time. One great item to use before the temperature gets cold is fuel conditioner.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Living in northern Mich all my life, in Jan the temps can hit -20. Let your conscience be your guide on what procedure you use.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #5

C is the option that I use
Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #6

If you have a light weight conventional oil or synthetic oil in the crank case you should be fine but it would still be easier on the engine if you'd turn the block heater on for a couple hours.
It kind of hurts when I see big diesels trying to fire up in brutally cold weather, stuff can break when it's cold.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post

A, cycle the igniton key a few times and start the engine.

B, hauling out a small gas generator plug in the MH run it overnight plugged into the shore cord and run the Oasis that will pull 8 - 10 amps and use the Oasis block heater, also will keep the house batteries charged

C, run the Onan diesel generator overnight and Oasis block heater

D, set the AGS to come one when the house batteries reach 12.0VDC use only house batteries and the Oasis overnight

With many years of cold diesel starting experience, I can first say that each engine seems different. One will start, the next identical engine will not. Such is life.

Your list, my replies:

A. No need to multi-cycle usually. Engine has grid heaters in the intake, so a couple of cycles may be needed. Just realize that each cycle drains more from the batteries leaving less for the starter motor.

B. Would work, but seems like a PITA to me.

C. If the engine would not start, likely the Onan generator won't either. But a couple of start cycles may do the trick.

D. I once had an auto-start that also sensed temperature (of the engine) and would start, warm up, then shut down the engine.

My thought: I'd go with A. My rig (ISC) seems to start right up in the cold, and run smoothly at that.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #8

Thanks everyone, this is my first winter with the ISL and don't want to hurt her!

Oil is 10W-40W in both motors, manual chart shows good for well below what I expect the temps to be at start up in the 20's here in GRR

I plan on a practice run around Christmas, starting with A, and down the list as needed
Rich n Sue 2008 Mandalay 43A #3166 FL XC with ISL 425 2012 Jeep GC, Blue Ox with Apollo
Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
YC1

Run the generator for 30 minutes to allow the batteries to warm up and be sure to press the aux start button to help when starting the engine. Leave the generator running during the process to provide as much DC power as possible.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
2008 ISL 425 Cold weather starting

As mentioned no glow plugs in the ISL so double cycling the key only reheats engine air grid heaters). I start the hydrohot (oasis) diesel burner on good house batteries and circulate engine preheat (engine antifreeze loop) for about two hours. I have taken engine temp from 5F to 70F in two hours (coolant temp readout on my Silverleaf system, reads ECM data)

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #11

Thanks YC1 good tip, and BrianGlenn thanks, those are the numbers I was looking for
Old 12-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I just returned from a trip to Memphis and the temps were 'only' in the 20's, but other than making sure nothing 'extra' was on and/or plugged in when starting, ours fired right up.

Now both my engine and genny have glow plugs so they did take longer than normal time to warm up... but I just started the genny first, let it run for 10 minutes or so to stabilize and generate power, then used the battery boost to help the glow plugs pre-heat the engine before starting it (probably didn't need to, but I did)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #13
YC1

John, are you sure your engine has glow plugs??? Just curious. My Cummins has a grid heater.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather