Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #15

I am new to the DP world and I have been reading with much interest however I do have a question to help me understand a little better.

I read here that the ISB, 6.7L has 340 HP. I have a ISB, 6.7L that is rated at 300HP @ 2600 RPM / 660 lb*ft @ 1600 RPM. How can two ISB 6.7L engines have different HP ratings? Is there something different/added to the one that is rated at 40 HP more?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, Cummins (as well as other diesel engine manufacturers) market several different versions of the same series engine. The differences are in the fuel delivery and amount of turbo boost. Sometimes, a lower HP engine can be bumped up with only a software update. Other times it is expensive as it takes an entire new fuel system or larger turbo.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wow good engine we agree
Old 07-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #18

If you want to hotrod it to 400 hp, go to dieselgarage .com. Caution, you may stretch your head bolts doing so and need to add after market studs.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #19

I certainly pray that the Cummins ISB is a good engine. I have the 300HP version and am very happy. I haven't noticed a lack of power, but I haven't driven a 400HP motorhome either.

When I picked up my motorhome yesterday from the diesel shop having the brakes repaired, the owner told me to thank my lucky stars I didn't own a Caterpillar. When I asked him what he meant, he said the Cummins was MUCH easier to work on and less problems. If you have a problem with your Caterpillar, he said to "get out the big checkbook".

My BIGGEST fear with a DP motorhome, is some sort of catastrophic engine failure that's going to cost big bucks.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Two weeks ago when I was at Coburg, Or. I met a fellow with a 4X4 Dodge with a modified Cummins ISB275 5.9L who showed me the miles he had on his truck speedometer. I looked twice and saw 760,000 miles and he said " I just change the oil once a year". The manual transmission was another story........he is on his 3rd. He pulled a large car transport. It was a dully with a crew cab. I have a diesel Isuzu 1985 that is still going and my mechanic said the engine will keep going as the body falls apart (rusts). deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins