Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #1

Unhappy 300 Cummins Oil Leak

I'm at wit's end with an oil leak problem on my 1994 Coachmen Destiny. The coach has 70,000 miles. A couple of years ago, I took it to TransWest (Denver) to find and fix the problem. $3500.00 later, I continued to encounter a leak. I was told the leak existed because the injector pump shaft had worn and the pump needed to be replaced. The leak persisted and I was then told by TransWest that it was the oil pan gasket. $400.00 was spent replacing the gasket. I drove it home and the leak continued. I took it back to TransWest last week for one more final determination. This time, they are telling me it's the front timing gear housing gasket and the quote to replace it is $3400.00. I'm beyond upset at this point. I've put a lot into this beautiful old coach and I'd like to keep it. I just can't afford another speculative repair. Otherwise, the coach runs and operates beautifully. Suggestions anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	23280  
doodledoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #2

Has the leak lessened everytime?
I'd get a second opinion if possible just to see where you stand. And find out if you really had 3 leaks instead of 1.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledoo View Post
Suggestions anyone?
Rocky Mtn Cummins in Henderson, CO if it's powered by a Cummins?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

The leak has not lessened since it was first noticed (Sept. 2010). Thanks very much. TransWest assured me the previous work was needed.
doodledoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
About 6 years ago, I had a leak that left oil trace on the front lower part of my timing cover and on the rear side of that cover in front of the injection pump along with spots on the ground.

You did not indicate what engine you have but mine is a C8.3L Cummins mechanical.

Cummins West took a look and estimated @ $2000 to replace the gasket and update the timing cover. They also indicated it was a common repair.

A fellow on another forum indicated he too had a history of that leak. He had a knowledgeable buddy to directed him to Permatex Form A Seal Leak Repair in a $6 spray can at Napa.

He cleaned the back of the timing gear cover and the edge where it meets the engine block with brake cleaner. Then he sprayed several coats of the Permatex. At that time his leak had stopped for more than two years.

I followed his procedures, but had to apply the Permatex on two occasions to stop the leak. Mine has been good for about 5 years and about 30,000 miles.

This is not an official fix. It is not supported by good mechanical procedures or knowledge. I just did it and it has worked so far with no related problems.

Perhaps, if you have the same engine, you have the same problem?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #6

Stick an air hose in the oil fill tube and seal it and put about 2lbs pressure in you engine and see if you see the leak. That's how I find them. No guessing.

If it's a gasket sometimes you can clean it with alcohol (I use MEK) and get some permatex high temp red silicon and seal it.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

After all of the money, you've expended to TransWest, and the problem still exsists, I think me and TransWest, would have a meeting of the minds, and if that didn't work, a meeting of the lawyers! After the first $3500, until it was fixed should have been on them! To my way of thinking, they owe you, big time.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, leak