Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

$4000k fuel pump???

A couple of months ago on my MH's maiden voyage I ran it out of fuel, my fuel gauge was way off.. since then I have changed fuel filters till im blue in the face.. one day it runs fine the next day it coughs and spits.. well now it coughs and a red light on the dash saying stop engine followed by check engine light comes on.. the mechanic thinks its my CAPS fuel pump.. he says its showing low fuel pressure and he says running it out of fuel might have damaged the pump..?? could this have happened? any ideas? are they really $4k for a new one?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope not!! Good luck
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

The Cummins, high pressure injection pumps, rely on fuel for lubrication and cooling, even at full throttle they circulate 70% of the fuel they are supplied back to the tank so they constantly have cool fuel inside .
Yes , running them dry will damage them and from other posts on the CAPS system $4K installed seems about the going rate.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #4

I'm not sure what it would cost on the diesel engine, but I had one go out on my Chevy Suburban(just out of warranty), and it cost me about $1500 to get it fixed. The fuel pump was about $600 and the rest was labor as they had to empty the fuel and take the gas tank off, as the fuel pump is inside the gas tank. This was about 5 years ago so I'm sure it is even more now. If I had the time that I have now(retired) I would do it myself and save the labor...alot of work but not that complicated to do....Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
A couple of months ago on my MH's maiden voyage I ran it out of fuel, my fuel gauge was way off.. since then I have changed fuel filters till im blue in the face.. one day it runs fine the next day it coughs and spits.. well now it coughs and a red light on the dash saying stop engine followed by check engine light comes on.. the mechanic thinks its my CAPS fuel pump.. he says its showing low fuel pressure and he says running it out of fuel might have damaged the pump..?? could this have happened? any ideas? are they really $4k for a new one?
Yes as others have said it is possible. Read through this thread and it will help you understand IMO.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/shou...-213802-4.html

Mike: IMO your fuel pump in the tank supplied a TBI or EFI type fuel system on your Suburban. Different type of system than this. The difference is this is a high pressure system in which the FI pump builds pressures up to 2100 PSI to operate the nozzle injecting the fuel into the cylinder.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #6

Ken, I agree, I guess I should have finished my thoughts, that's why I said I didn't know about diesel. I would think the diesel fuel pump/system would be alot more expensive than gas. I was just shocked with the prices on newer systems, last time I replaced a gas fuel pump(before the Suburban), it took me about a half hour and cost $60. I guess the modern technology is nice, but expensive if it breaks....Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #7

If the $4k includes labor, that's a good price. I paid more for mine, but I was in no place to shop around.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
I had a new CAPS fuel injection pump installed at Freightliner of Montgomery, Al in Apr 2010. the pump was $3977.53, total parts were $4062.37 and labor was $948.75. This was on a Cummins 370ISL. If you need that part the price seems right.
SteveR161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel