Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
5.9 cummings oil

i just got a ole 92 Itasca with rear engine Cummings .( 150,000 kms ) previous owner couldnt tell me much about it, said he inherited it.. i have lots of 0-40 Synthetic oil. is that ok to put in here? i ran it year round in my Dodge Tow Truck. same motor..it had 750,000 when sold it,on original motor.
also..how much oil does this hold. im thinking 14 litres. oil is nice and pink in the Allison,.so think it was changed recently.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
If your 0 - 40 Synthetic meets Cummins specs, by all means use it. Your experience with your Dodge tow truck, 5.9 Cummins diesel, speaks for itself.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #3

Always good to know how to spell the make of the engine, Cummins,
It helps during searches and gives more veracity to the owner of the rig.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
brex ,i didnt realize we were being tested for our spelling.im lucky to be able to spell wrong,let alone spell right. i had a stroke a few months ago and have issues now.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

hi,
i use rotella 15-40 in my isb 300hp 5.9.it holds 19 quarts with filter.dont let tge spelling police bother you as they have nothing else to do.
hope your health holds for many years
dave
dakratdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Always good to know how to spell the make of the engine, Cummins,
It helps during searches and gives more veracity to the owner of the rig.
Quote:
hi,
dont let tge spelling police bother you as they have nothing else to do.
dave
I'm in agreement with BRex45 and don't think he is being out of line in correcting Ken's spelling of the word Cummins due to the fact that it's obvious that it wasn't a typo and is what Ken actually calls it. Spelling it correctly does indeed help Ken in many ways in addition to the two BRex45 listed.

Ken, please don't feel like we are insulting or disrespecting you....that is not the case. We are here to help in anyway we can, and providing the correct spelling will help you in future questions.

Sorry, never had a 5.9, but a search on Google provided several responses that said 12 quarts is the answer.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Different apps of the 5.9 have different oil pans. mine holds 4 USG.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
i changed the oil yesterday..marked the inside of the 5 gallon pail. drained that. washed it out. amd filled with new oil. also prefilled the oil filter befroe installing it.it took 16 litres. started it, checked again.. right on the marks.wrote the amount in the owners manaul that was never written in. removed the Allisons spin on filter and replaced it too. Kind of dissapointed that are no grease nipples on the U joints.Greased up the front end while i was in coveralls. Now for the body work. Son is licenced body tech,so get a little help from him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crack at back.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	137379   Click image for larger version

Name:	frt wheel damage.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	137380  

Old 08-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ken,
I remember when the Itasca diesel came out. At the time, they were ground breaking. You should get lots of years of great service with it.

American Petroleum Institute (API) grades oils for the application. You will see the rating ring (or donut) on the bottle. Diesel (compression) engine ratings start with a C, like the rating CJ-4.
Gasoline engine ratings start with an S, like SM or SN.
Here is a link to their ratings:
http://www.api.org/~/media/files/cer...glish_2013.pdf

Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I once owned a 1998 Newmar with a 5.9 Cummins and the owners manual said 11 quarts.
Doing the math, that's pretty close to 14 liters.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #11

It's not a spelling error when you say you have a "Cummings" engine. It is an error in the use of a proper name. There is a huge difference. Some valuable information could be shared in one of the "Cummings" threads, but someone searching for information on his "Cummins" engine would never find it.

Besides, I don't think Cummins founder Clessie Cummins would appreciate getting his name wrong.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
It's not a spelling error when you say you have a "Cummings" engine. It is an error in the use of a proper name. There is a huge difference. Some valuable information could be shared in one of the "Cummings" threads, but someone searching for information on his "Cummins" engine would never find it.

Besides, I don't think Cummins founder Clessie Cummins would appreciate getting his name wrong.
What difference does it make! If you google cummings they will give you all the info for cummins anyway. I dislike nit-pikin-fault- finding responses that denigrate the person seeking real information. Who really cares what the "founder" would appreciate. He's most likely dead anyway. It is to bad we can't use phrases as our Presidential candidates use in speeches and advertising. Especially " you can tell them to go ".

sew phrome knows on eyes goin too missspell alls mines wourds.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
What difference does it make!

The difference is that Cummins is correct and Cummings is not.

Does that make sense ladygobungo?

Oh wait...that's not quite right, is it?
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:54 AM   #14

No problem with the spelling either way. Very obvious, and a silly thing to argue about. I'll be writing a large check for seal and gasket repairs on Cummins components Friday so you can call it anything you want!
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote