Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
5.9L Cummins Water Pump

Cummins 5.9L ISB (24V) water pump in '99 Holiday Rambler is leaking and needs replacement. I'm looking for advice/comments regarding using a NAPA (Gates) water pump @ ~ $50, vs. Cummins OEM pump @ over $100. In your opinion, is the 2x+ price of the Cummins OEM water pump justified, or am I just paying for the brand name?

Thanks, Russ
rjjastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

OEM pump no better then Aftermarket
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #3

It is the exact same water pump that is on millions of dodge 5.9
Cummins trucks. I paid around 100 dollars when I replaced mine. 50 dollars sounds kind of cheap. I doubt the water pump is made by Cummins anyway. Order it from a reputable auto parts dealer. They will know if it is worth the extra money. Very common part. Every auto parts store will have one in stock most likely.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Two different rubber seals , make sure you get the same one as yours is ... One is round and one is flat ..
Old 10-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

Once you get to it it'll be the easiest water pump you've ever changed.

I like the Gates brand and is what's been in my truck for years. Also run a Green Stripe belt if your not already. They are the severe duty commercial belt used in school busses and what not.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

I just replaced the water pump on my '05 5.9. O'Rielly had two listings for them. One had a one year warranty, the other had a lifetime warranty. Lifetime warranty and a suction device was $64 out the door. The $50 pump would be my choice. No reason to pay extra for the name on the building where you purchased it from.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all for your valued input. I'll check the gasket cross-section, and then probably go with a Gates pump. Also will replace 10 year old serpentine belt with Gates Green Stripe, and then carry a spare.

Belt tensioner bearing still feels smooth, and the spring is strong, but I saw in another thread where the user carries spare tensioner bearing(s). Does anyone have the bearing number for a 1998 era 5.9L tensioner pulley?

Thanks again to all -- what a fabulous source of expertise!
Old 10-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #8

I personally can't say as I have ever heard of anyone replacing bearings in the tensioner. I have read about people that have replaced it preemptively. They do last a long time though. I just sold a 1996 truck with 332,000 miles on it and as far as I know it was still original. I only owned and used that truck for 18 years and 200,000 miles.....
In other words, i personally wouldn't worry about it unless it is bouncing and /or rough feeling.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
As follow-up, I have ordered the following water pump and fan drive belt P/N's for my '99 Cummins 5.9L ISB-RV275 (CM550) Encore engine:

1. Gates 41176HD water pump, to replace OEM P/N 5473238/3286278,
2. Gates K080694HD (Green Stripe) serpentine belt, to replace OEM P/N 3289257.

I was able to order both of them from RockAuto at just over $100, total.

With all the water pump P/N variants available for the 5.9L Cummins engines over the years, and especially due to the many used in the various RAM truck applications, it was a somewhat daunting task to select the "best" one for my RV application. The belt was a consensus "no brainer". The tensioner spring is strong and the pulley bearing feels very smooth, so I've decided against replacing that; ". . . . if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Once again, thanks to all on this forum who responded to my inquiries.

Tags
cummins, water, water pump