Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
6CTA No Start Condition

Battery is new, 13.1V.

Wanted a spare solenoid (the high mounted one) so installed new one.

I still only get a single click.

Guess I'll need to buy some heavy jack stands and contort to pull the starter.
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sam, before you pull the starter, have a friend try to start it while you are at the starter with a meter, to make sure the starter is getting the proper start voltage.......
Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
YC1

Palehorse is correct. There could easily be another inline solenoid before the starter. Throwing parts at it can be expensive. Getting a couple of voltage measurements is much easier than lifting a heavy starter that may just have loose nuts or corroded cables.

You need to be extremely careful of course in case your probing with a voltmeter suddenly makes the circuit work and the thing turns over.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I checked for power to the starter with a test light prior, but I will need to purchase adequate jack stands and raise the rear to be able to get up closer to the solenoid to check connections.

Too low to work on from the top, too high to work on while laying on my back. Need to be able to sit to see and reach everything.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
I checked for power to the starter with a test light prior, but I will need to purchase adequate jack stands and raise the rear to be able to get up closer to the solenoid to check connections.

Too low to work on from the top, too high to work on while laying on my back. Need to be able to sit to see and reach everything.
You need to get a voltage meter so you know how many volts the starter is receiving when trying to start. The test light will light up at any DC voltage,dimmer as the volts drop........use a meter
Old 12-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
You need to get a voltage meter so you know how many volts the starter is receiving when trying to start. The test light will light up at any DC voltage,dimmer as the volts drop........use a meter
Ditto what Palehorse said--- Pulling that starter is a 2 man job one on top and one on the bottom, I used a sling from the top and my Buddy lowered it down once I had it ready. Be Careful with Jack stands under that Coach-- You know the weight involved.
Now, If there is no clicking or Voltage on start , Check for Start voltage on the Small wire attached to the Starter Solenoid S Terminal --you might look for a remote Starter Solenoid. to locate it - Trace the Smaller Wire from S Terminal from the Starter Solenoid to the Remote Solenoid- most likely somewhere in the Engine Compartment

>>http://www.sbmar.com/images/uploads/...oid_Wiring.jpg
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #7

After driving my used coach home and parking, it would not crank a few days later. The Cummins tech crawled underneath and wiggled the wires to the solenoid as I held the key in the start position. Bingo...it was just corroded connections. He cleaned them and it has not happened again. It does take 2 people...one of which is willing to lay underneath the engine as it starts.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Great info guys, thanks.

I'll get back into it this weekend. This job thing and darkness when I get home both impede progress.

I think a friend has a pair of 10 ton jack stands. I need to raise it to check the solenoid connections & put the fluke on it whilst someone turns the key.

Hey, I should get my mechanic pal to deliver the jack stands and tell him that he wouldn't be able to figure it out.......
Old 12-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #9

Just curious, have you tried to start it from the remote (rear) start switch in the engine compartment with ignition switch in the run position? I bumped that switch once on mine and had the same symptom.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I finally was able to spend some time on it today.

12.6V at battery, 8.7V at starter solenoid S terminal with key in start position.

Jumpered with a short piece of 12GA wire and it cranked and scared the crap out of me.

Tomorrow I'll remove and clean/noalox all of the terminations involved.

Thanks for the help all!