Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
8.3 Cummins - low end power - gone!

This is our first coach and my very first post, so please be gentle!! We purchased a 1998 Monaco Windsor coach this spring and took it recently on a trip to Canada. On my way back, I noted some loss of power intermittently, and on return to Virginia, had a hard time getting any low end power at all. Changed the fuel filter, checked air filter, turbo spins but for some reason won't do anything in first gear, and under 1800 RPM. Above 1800 + 2nd gear and up, boost kicks in normally and acceration returns.

Thoughts?
jimhfurlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Maybe check the exhaust brake for the butterfly valve opening in the exhaust pipe. Perhaps it is sticking a bit?

Put some high temp oil on the pivot points per the maintenance instructions.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I noted last week that the PAC brake had actually seperated from the back of the turbo (clamp gone) and the butterfly valve was seized. I got it free and lubed it, but the air cylinder was also siezed, and I need to order a replacement. Opening the valve helped somewhat, but still having the low end issue. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 05-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Does it build up boost? Maybe a hose is off or loose on the intercooler or turbo?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #5

You indicate that the turbo spins, but do you know the turbo boost pressure? Perhaps you are equipped with a dash gauge for turbo boost pressure. If not I would get a Silverleaf VMSpc that plugs into your laptop to read out all of your engine and transmission parameters as well as codes. If you have an intermittent problem as you say you should see it in the engine parameters. Of course you want to avoid taking your MH to a shop and even if you do take it knowing as much as possible will help a lot. Don't be deterred by the cost of the VMSpc as it is nothing compared to the cost of a shop.You may be well tuned in to diesel performance, but remember that low RPM power and torque on a diesel is low, much lower than a gas engine. The diesel only excels when it is in its power and torque band.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

Maybe transmission problems??? Are you starting out in first gear? Is the xmission starting in, maybe 3rd or 4th? Just a thought.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #7

Is this Cummins a C8.3 or an ISC8.3
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's the C8.3, and the turbo boost guage indicates very little boost in 1st, (<5lbs if at all) and 20+ lbs in 4th, 5th and 6th. We're going to have a look at it today, but thought a forum member might narrow the search for us.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #9

also check the air cleaner
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
I agree with squeak.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #11

low power

Check the inter cooler for cracks, have the lift pump checked for proper pressure, and check the return check valve on the injection pump, any of these can cause low power.
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #12

ok so when was the last time you changed the air filter?
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mine is the C8.3 Cummins,too. I don't get boost pressure in 1st gear either,so power in 1st gear is pretty lazy. But, once the revs are up enough for the shift to 2nd, the load increase on the engine increases the exhaust pressure enough to spin the turbo up and boost begins. On normal acceleration through the gears,if I'm pushing the pedal down, my boost will go up to about 20-22psi. On heavy loads up hills, it will go up to 25psi. I only saw it at 28psi once so far, and that was going up a 7%grade in 5th gear, engine @ 2100rpm, and putting out everything it had. I have a Banks Stinger system, so I suspect that the stock system might provide a maximum turbo boost of 24-26psi.

Your turbo is producing 20psi, so I suspect that the turbo itself is working O.K., but you may be losing some of the pressure in the pipes, hoses, or charged air cooler, on the way to the engine.

As the turbo is spun up by the exhaust, it moves air to the engine via the charged air cooler. It looks a lot like a radiator. There can be several rubber elbow connectors between the turbo and the cooler, they can cause trouble, cracked, or broken. The cooler itself can be cracked. A radiator shop or truck shop can pressure test it for you, some of the cracks can be repaired.

And if that exhaust brake is sticking it can cause intermittent loss of power. Once, I exhaust braked into traffic, then stepped on the accelerator, and the coach just sat there! No power at all! It took 2 or 3 minutes for the exhaust brake to decide to open and let me get some power.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, 2nd day in the shop. My pac brake, still unhooked, gate is now wired in open position. Wastegate was siezed, we got that unsiezed yesterday, but unsure if actuator is working. Thats tomorrrows problem. What I am finding is these engines, while apparently reliable, are hard to trouble shoot. Anyone know the best place to buy a replacement turbo or even what model is on the C8.3 mechanical? Just in case.... we should have been off to Canada tonight......

Tags
cummins boost low power