RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #1

8.3 slow overheating quick cool down idle

Symptoms. about 50 running 65 it creeps up to 225. stop and it falls rapidity to 180. Looks like newer clean radiator. Fan is working well. My question. There's Antifreeze filter on top of motor. I just changed it. It was old. Haven't tried my RV out yet but could that restrict flow? My radiator is very clean in fact It probably has been replaced not to far back. Also I noticed a bleeder valve next to this filter. I think it fixes air locks in system?? Now to service Hydro pump on fan. Any suggestions on that? With the newer clean radiator makes me wonder if the last owner may have been chasing this rabbit. I just got worried thinking about a possible head gasket leak. Fluids seem to be separated though. Head gasket would mean good bye baby. If you have time thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #2

Head gasket issue would , build pressure in the cooling system and blow A/F out at the cap, and you'd be adding coolant after every trip. White smoke in the exhaust would be apparent also.
You may have a t/stat problem , if the t/stat is stuck open or has been removed, then the coolant doesn't stay in the rad long enough to cool and the coolant temp will slowly climb as you describe.
JMHO. a new t/stat, would be the least expensive and first thing to try.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #3

I drove about 400 miles and was 1/2 gaL LOW

I drove about 400 miles and was 1/2 gaL LOW. I noticed it did not have an over flow tank and just dumped anti freeze on the ground. I found an over flow tank and installed it so I can monitor it. Also I changed Rad cap. The repair a head gasket would run how much if I decided to eat it? I'm thinking $5000.00. I just remodeled the entire rig and updated it. I don't want to do that again. Also to date I have no more than $10k in it and bunches of labor of love. I would be tempted to find a money tree and keep it.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
mine was doing the long slow heat up last summer then the dreaded coolant light low thing...
I found my surge tank cap was weak and was allowing fluid to spew past the seal. changed it and the issue went away
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Head gasket leak can be diagnosed by most engine shops. Cost depends on many factors including access to engine. Not the first thing on the list and costly.

PS might help if you posted year, make and model of your rig also.

Tags
heating