Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

93 38 Safari pusher overheating issue

I can go about 20 mile 175 degree and then it moves up slowly over 215 and then pull over and it quickly cools down. It has no overflow system. If it overheats dumps it on the ground. I put an catch tank on it. I top off my radiator and it always ends up a gal low after a short 20 mile trip. I may be losing the gal and then it over heats. Maybe they won't stay topped off. I cant see any noticeable leakage. My catch tank is empty. if you top these rigs to the top of inlet shouldn't they stay topped off? I guess they have to have some expansion with all that fluid. Starts great and there is no white smoke coming out of exhaust. Please and help is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Did you burp the coolant system after filling? Might be an air bubble in there somewhere? I had similar problem with loss of coolant from the overflow tank until I used the coolant air vent while the engine was running to get rid of air.

If a rear radiator, hold a flashlight behind the radiator to see if light can be seen through it. It may be clogged with blow-by and dirt. Very common cause of overheating on these rigs.

215 is not overheating on my rig, but still is very high for normal operation. Try taking the temp of a coolant hose with a infra red thermometer when the gauge is showing that temp. Maybe gauge is off?

I assume your radiator fan is spinning...
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

A plugged rad would be my first guess, either internal or external .
Questions;
Is this a rear rad unit ? Has the thermostat been changed?
Have you cleaned the outside of the rad? Flushed the coolant ?
Cummins , recommends cleaning the rad; outside; every 7500 miles.
Is it equipped with any type of thermostatic controlled fan ?
If so has the fan operation been tested ?
You say you had no expansion tank but put a catch can on, but it's empty, and the coolant dumps on the road.
Is the top of the rad wet ? Can you figure out where the coolant goes to get to the road and by pass the overflow tube and your catch can ?
Rad systems , with no expansion tank, should not be topped up to the rad cap neck, they should be 1" to 1 1/2" below the neck, to allow for expansion; but ; even if overfilled and the excess blown out they should not overheat.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #4

Your issue sounds a lot like this one: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/weir...em-200365.html Read the first page for symptoms (see if they are like yours) then skip to the end for what the solution is on that one.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #5

Yes it's in the rear. How do you burp. ? There is a pet cock by radiator filter. Do it while running. I've caught it 1 gal low 3 times. Will 1 gal low cause overheating? Radiator looks like it's newer and is clean. It has a hydraulic fan that is spinning and does increase speed as throttle increases. Hopefully not a head gasket. No fluid in oil or do I ever see white smoke out exhaust. Thanks guys.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #6

My radiator system has about 4 feet on hose from top of radiator leading to back door to fill. 1" to 1 1/2" from top of radiator? Or filler?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollison View Post
My radiator system has about 4 feet on hose from top of radiator leading to back door to fill. 1" to 1 1/2" from top of radiator? Or filler?
Top of the rad.
Any sign of a sight glass in the top tank of the rad?

But like I said , even if over full and blowing out excess coolant , the system should retain enough coolant and not over heat.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Perhaps your rig came with a Cummins engine manual? If so, there should be detailed instructions there.

My rig also has a label on the coolant overflow tank, which you do not have. The vent is above and behind that in the coolant line. Since my rig is side radiator it probably is plumbed differently than yours.

Call Cummins with your engine serial number. They should be able to help.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #9

Maybe a bingo on overheating

I bought this unit this winter and the guy lived on the dustiest road I'd ever seen. Pulled the air box down and it was so plugged up with dust that it was collapsing the K&N filter. worst id ever seen. Would this have anything to do with my overheating? I knew it had more power than it had.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
cwf

Replace filters.
Take rad cap to qualified auto store and have it checked for holding pressure. If the cap releases early, you will lose coolant. You should have a coolant recovery system in place. It may have been dirt clogged and removed.

Make sure you use proper coolant and coolant ratio.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #11

Yes, a dirty and plugged air filter will have an effect on engine temperatures. The lack of air will cause the engine to run with a 'rich' fuel mixture and with diesels the more fuel the hotter the cylinder temps are. If you had a pyrometer you will see the temp difference. Another thing too is that K&N filters are not recommended for diesel applications. They are way to easy to over oil and they allow dust to get through causing damage to the turbo.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I bought the cleaner kit for our K & N filter, it was filthy. I used the spray soaked it and kept changing the hot water over and over till it ran clean. Then we set it in front of a fan to dry for about a day and used the oil that came with the kit. I know leaving
stoplights it really helped. But ours had 120k miles on it and is old. I saw the cleaning intervals are 50k, whether it had been done or not was anybodies guess. The minder on ours doesn't work with the K & N.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #13

Next time you pull your K&N to clean it put a trouble light on one side and look through the filter at the light. Any points of light you see are going to let dust in. You could potentially allow enough dust and dirt into the engine to cause premature wear to the piston rings and cylinders leading to oil consumption issues. The paper filter would be my choice.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #14

Just for the record the clogged air filter did not change my overheating problem. Here's what I know. It stays at 175 for about 20 miles and then she begins a slow creep to as far as 225 and I pull over. It quickly drop back down to 175 in about 5 min. The radiator was supposedly flushed. It is super clean peering through it with light. It is a hydraulic fan. It turning smoothly and a lot of heat is being dispersed. Its not roaring but hard to tell what RPMs are going on. I took a infrared reading and my gauge is correct I have not changed the thermostats but since it idles down to a perfect 175 I don't want to change them just to be changing them. The oil in reservoir looks clean. I can't find any filters to be changed. It an older simpler unit. Its a 93 250 HP. I do enjoy driving her. The velvet suspension is something else. I have never experience as smooth of a ride so far comparing it to 2 other airbag type suspensions. The only thing I don't like is the up and down joy ride I sometimes get on uneven roads. Please Help so my dream ride can last more than 20 miles.

Tags
heating