Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

Aftermarket performance products for DP's

I am having the darndest time getting an aftermarket turbo to fit up on my 5.9L Cummins. They can't seem to get the correct reducer (3.5inch to 4inch) to mount it. I am almost ready to tell them to forget it. Can the stock turbo be "rebuilt" with higher CFM and bigger/faster vanes on the wheel?
Chet
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #2

Your turbo will put out more than 32# of boost and that should be all the boost you need considering that you will be 20#+ nearly all the time with that load.

However, There is a 3-1/2 to 4" rubber pipe fitting at Home depot that some guys on the diesel forums are using for the reducing the air input fitting if that is what you are talking about.
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. The reducer they need is on the exhaust side of the turbo. It is 3.5 at the turbo into a 4 inch exhaust.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Chet,

Have your shop get in touch with STAN'S HEADERS. They can supply just about any exhaust pieces you can imagine for the Cummins ISB, including flanges, adapters, etc.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #5

thanks for the referral
Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #6

Here is something to consider. http://bankspower.com/products/show/207/57
They are always a little high on prices but the do sometimes have some great specials to move products especially in hard times like now. I put both the Stinger and Power Pack Sytems on my B5.9 with the boost and EGT gauges. One recomendation I can make is DO NOT try changing that turbo housing yourself because it is rusted together and you can damage it taking or trying to take it and while putting it together. Most cities have places that rebuild truck turbo's and have the special equipment to do it. I know of a great one in Charlotte NC and one in Atlanta.

Also if you modify the turbo then I would highly recommend the EGT sensor and gauge. This is very important to know that things are running right with the fuel mixture after any mods. At wide open throttle under load like going up a nice hill that EGT should be right at 1300* F. Too high above 1330*F may damage your motor. To low below 1245* results in low power. A diesel is opposite to a gasoline motor and in a diesel the more fuel you pump into the motor the hotter the EGT will be.

If you go to http://bankspower.com/manuals you can download their manuals for the Stinger and Powerpack systems for your motor and see what I am talking about.

I got the Power Pack and Stinger System for $1800 total. It made all the difference in the World to by B5.9. Now when climbing steep hills my MH doesn't slow down and it hardly ever has to downshift. I just watch the boost gauge climb and it keeps going up the hill. To be real truthful I haven't seen all that gas milege gain that is talked about but that is probably just the way I drive it. I do get maybe a .5 MPG gain but that is climbing a lot of hills.

If you have any other questions about the Banks stuff then feel free to ask. The kits are complete with everything and are very well engineered and there is always somebody to answer any questions on the phone at Banks.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote