Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #29

Great info here. But I need more. This is what my indicator looks like with only 2000 miles since new on ISX. While at the factory last October I asked them about restriction between the filter housing and the intake piping that Newmar installed.....they said it was fine. I was tempted to disconnect what they installed just to see if it made a difference. I have not looked at the filter. Any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Restriction Indicator after 2000 miles.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	56084  
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
BTW, for those who are contemplating air housing changes, try hard to increase the piping size from the inlet grille on the coach to the inlet of the air cleaner. Too many sharp bends and too much corrugated flex pipe puts a lot of restriction into the system causing you to blame the air cleaner housing! Increase piping diameter where you can, even after the air cleaner before the turbo then reduce down to inlet size at the very last. It will pay off.[/QUOTE]

How very true, and look at the inlet grille a lot have a smaller area than
the piping connected to them.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #31

This is the setup on my Dutch Star retrofit. Currently the inlet and outlet are both 6", with no flex duct. I'm changing both to 7". It will be all hard aluminium tubing. The inlet is on the drivers side up high near the rear. The inlet side will come in through the screen into the existing chamber. Then there is a 2' long piece of 7" tubing going into this chamber. Then it makes a 90 into a 12" long piece that feeds the new filter housing. I explained the outlet side in a early post. I really haven't looked at the inlet screen size yet. I believe this has to be an improvement from the 6" tubing and ecolite it replaces. I've modified the old filter stand and made new brackets to mount the new housing. Its all ready to go in, but between the cold and snow it's hard to get much done.

Bullheaded,
12" of restriction on a nearly new filter wouldn't make me real happy.
SteveWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWV View Post
This is the setup on my Dutch Star retrofit. Currently the inlet and outlet are both 6", with no flex duct. I'm changing both to 7". It will be all hard aluminium tubing. The inlet is on the drivers side up high near the rear. The inlet side will come in through the screen into the existing chamber. Then there is a 2' long piece of 7" tubing going into this chamber. Then it makes a 90 into a 12" long piece that feeds the new filter housing. I explained the outlet side in a early post. I really haven't looked at the inlet screen size yet. I believe this has to be an improvement from the 6" tubing and ecolite it replaces. I've modified the old filter stand and made new brackets to mount the new housing. Its all ready to go in, but between the cold and snow it's hard to get much done.

Bullheaded,
12" of restriction on a nearly new filter wouldn't make me real happy.
Where did you find the tubing? Did you have to use some larger 90 degree tubing. I would like to do some of these changes also.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #33

Inlet tubing

DAJO,
The inlet tubing came from Intake Hoses, IntakeTubing, and Intake Clamps - Intakehoses.com
The air filter housing, clamps and most of the boots came from Coolant Filters | Fuel Filters | Air Filters | Hydraulic Filters | Oil Filters | Donaldson Filters | Low Price Filters
Hope that helps, good luck, Steve
Old 02-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #34

DAJO,

I just reread my other post. Just to clarify, all my 90's are rubber boots. I didn't intend to make it sound like my turns were out of aluminium, my bad. Steve
Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Great info here. But I need more. This is what my indicator looks like with only 2000 miles since new on ISX. While at the factory last October I asked them about restriction between the filter housing and the intake piping that Newmar installed.....they said it was fine. I was tempted to disconnect what they installed just to see if it made a difference. I have not looked at the filter. Any ideas.
Hello Billy,

That's what my indicator looks like with only 2000 miles. Same thing happened with my last ISX600. I think it's the way that either Newmar or Spartan have run their inlet piping. I think it would be interesting to get a good gauge and get a more accurate measurement of inlet inches.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Hello Billy,

That's what my indicator looks like with only 2000 miles. Same thing happened with my last ISX600. I think it's the way that either Newmar or Spartan have run their inlet piping. I think it would be interesting to get a good gauge and get a more accurate measurement of inlet inches.
27.71 inches of water equals 1 pound of pressure, as I am reading your post and looking at your photo, you have less than 1/2 pound of air restriction on your filter. With these air flow gages, the filter and engine manufactures must want them changed out when the restriction reaches about 1 pound.
Page #104 lists the engine Manfactures limits http://india.donaldson.com/en/engine...ary/065843.pdf
Bullhead,As you can see in the chart for Cummins, the limit is 25" like the max on your guage.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
27.71 inches of water equals 1 pound of pressure, as I am reading your post and looking at your photo, you have less than 1/2 pound of air restriction on your filter. With these air flow gages, the filter and engine manufactures must want them changed out when the restriction reaches about 1 pound.
Page #104 lists the engine Manfactures limits http://india.donaldson.com/en/engine...ary/065843.pdf
Bullhead,As you can see in the chart for Cummins, the limit is 25" like the max on your guage.
Ok that makes sense, but my question is why is it already at half on a new coach? I guess if the baseline is not 0 with a new filter then that would make sense, in other words , it starts at 1/3 with a new filter?? I've always thought that these things were off in motorhomes because the Chassis mfg calibrates it for the chassis and then the motorhome mfg adds more ducting and increases the intake resistance.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
I am going to make another guess here, first, these restriction gauges are cheaply built, not accurate, just a good indicator. A brand new filter will have a certain amount of air flow restriction, not much, as seen here, I am going to venture to say that as big as these filters are that the reading will remain there in the same position for a long time of travel and use, years........unless it sucks up a lot of dust or water.
There is a ton of square inches of surface on one of these filters.......
Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am going to make another guess here, first, these restriction gauges are cheaply built, not accurate, just a good indicator. A brand new filter will have a certain amount of air flow restriction, not much, as seen here, I am going to venture to say that as big as these filters are that the reading will remain there in the same position for a long time of travel and use, years........unless it sucks up a lot of dust or water.
There is a ton of square inches of surface on one of these filters.......
I think you're right, these filters have a pretty easy life for the most part. They may take in some dust on the way in and out of a gravel RV park but other than that not much. I remember from my motorcycle days that getting a motor to breathe better( intake and exhaust) was a cheap source of increased power. I would guess that with some work a person could remove some restrictions and install smooth pipe and pick up some ponies.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Hopefully Gary will post and tell us if our thinking is right or not...........
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
One only has to look up the air restriction on the filter at the CFM being used by the
engine then add 2 to that number for the max inlet restriction and you will be close
to what you should see with a new filter total.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
SteveWV,
How did you know what sizes to order?? Did you have to cut any of the straight pipe? Did you change your filter from a straight inlet to a straight outlet filter??
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote