Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

AirDog Raptor, FASS or stock Carter lift pump

Over on the diesel truck Cummins forums they are having problems lately with the Airdog Raptor pumps failing. They mentioned Airdog has been outsourcing production and the quality has suffered. I was leaning toward Airdog Raptor to replace my Carter OEM. Have not researched the FASS pumps but they are giving them high marks. And then there is of course the choice of another Carter OEM pump. I have my original still on my 2002 and my VP44 has made it 12 years. Hard to argue with that. Opinions ?? Also for those who have installed a low pressure warning light and a fuel pressure gauge where did you place the sensor at the outlet of the fuel filter with a T or at the inlet of the Injector Pump?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Over on the diesel truck Cummins forums they are having problems lately with the Airdog Raptor pumps failing. They mentioned Airdog has been outsourcing production and the quality has suffered. I was leaning toward Airdog Raptor to replace my Carter OEM. Have not researched the FASS pumps but they are giving them high marks. And then there is of course the choice of another Carter OEM pump. I have my original still on my 2002 and my VP44 has made it 12 years. Hard to argue with that. Opinions ?? Also for those who have installed a low pressure warning light and a fuel pressure gauge where did you place the sensor at the outlet of the fuel filter with a T or at the inlet of the Injector Pump?
I just recently added a pressure gauge to my 07 ISB cummins 5.9 litre. I was reading about 4 psi under wot. My pressure gauge snubber was installed at the exit of the fuel filter headed to the lift pump.

I added an air dog raptor "boost" pump mounted at the tank to help with pressure. I now have about 20 psi at idle and about 12-14psi at wot. I was told by a couple different supplier that fass and air dog we're the same pump made in same factory. One is owned by a father and the other couple was owned by his son. This may or may not be exact but is what I was told.

If I can help anyway please let me know.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #3

Chad

What brand of gauge did you buy? Also did you run 16 or 18 gauge wire? I was looking at the Glowshift gauges.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:26 AM   #4

I'm also looking at the Airdog2 4g. It has the pump along with 2 filters that polish the fuel. Might be a little overkill but on my Cummins ISB I just have a single filter.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Chad

What brand of gauge did you buy? Also did you run 16 or 18 gauge wire? I was looking at the Glowshift gauges.
Noserider. I was going to use the glowshift gauge until I called and spoke with the guy at torktek. I had heard the torktek snubber was the best on other forums so I wanted to go that route. He said the isspro was the best gauge and best warranty going so I went on his recommendation. The isspro was a little more expensive. So far I am very pleased with it. I can't say it's any better than the glowshift though.

I can't remember the particular raptor pump I used but it is a direct replacement for a dodge with cummins pickup. Also, I just remembered. I went with the raptor pump because it has adjustable pressure regulator. Since I was using min as a "booster" and not just replacement I felt like I would need to adjust it. After installation I realized I needed to. It's turned down to almost as low as it will go.

I did not use the 2 filter setup as you mentioned as my motorhome already has a 2 filter setup with a water remover/sensor installed. I had read that those were very good systems to use for clean fuel. I just wasn't sure about doing away with my original filter mounts and bypassing them.

If you have only one filter that may be a great option for you. Might want to look into the micron rating of your filter and check with cummins to get their recommendation on that route.

I used 18 gauge wire from the back to the front on recommendation of the tech at isspro gauges. Also, with their gauge it requires 3 wires to go from the gauge to the sender. I'm not sure of the other brands how many are required. I was only thinking it would take 1 until I received the gauge and sender. Not a big deal though as 18 GA wire is reasonable and already running wires so not a big difference.

If I can help further let me know.

Chad
Old 07-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where did you wire the booster pump in, just to ignition or parallel to existing pump?
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporietis View Post
Where did you wire the booster pump in, just to ignition or parallel to existing pump?
I started to wire in with existing pump but thought it was too much running extra wires. I ran off ignition circuit in front run bay. I also installed a relay to avoid too much draw from that circuit. Before the relay I installed a hidden switch under the edge of the dash so I could turn booster pump off if I ever needed too.

Chad
Old 07-31-2015, 05:15 PM   #8

Chad

Thanks to you it's going to cost me more $$$ . You were right about the IssPro series gauges. BTW how did you mount your gauge? Went with the one below from Geno's Garage along with the 12MM snubber. I found out for another $29 you can buy a programmer for the gauge to make changes to the background lighting AND adjust the value for the min pressure alert light built into the gauge. Going to set mine at 5psi. Also ordered the Airdog Raptor. I'm starting to sound like the kids on the diesel truck forums. They do know their aftermarket truck stuff.

ISSPRO EVē R14033 FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE (0-30 PSI)
Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Chad

Thanks to you it's going to cost me more $$$ . You were right about the IssPro series gauges. BTW how did you mount your gauge? Went with the one below from Geno's Garage along with the 12MM snubber. I found out for another $29 you can buy a programmer for the gauge to make changes to the background lighting AND adjust the value for the min pressure alert light built into the gauge. Going to set mine at 5psi. Also ordered the Airdog Raptor. I'm starting to sound like the kids on the diesel truck forums. They do know their aftermarket truck stuff.

ISSPRO EVē R14033 FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE (0-30 PSI)
Sorry bout the extra $$$ noserider. I wasn't aware of the programmer for the gauge. I would like to change the back light color as mines doesn't match the factory gauges. But it's not that big of a deal. The few hundred $ I spent on mine I believe was well worth it for peace of mind. Seems here lately there's been several folks with lift pump problems. It's nice to just glance down and see plenty of fuel pressure. Best of luck on the install.

Chad
Old 08-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Sorry bout the extra $$$ noserider. I wasn't aware of the programmer for the gauge. I would like to change the back light color as mines doesn't match the factory gauges. But it's not that big of a deal. The few hundred $ I spent on mine I believe was well worth it for peace of mind. Seems here lately there's been several folks with lift pump problems. It's nice to just glance down and see plenty of fuel pressure. Best of luck on the install.

Chad
Chad I have been looking around online for a gauge mount. Not quite sure where I'm going to place the gauge just yet. What did you use? Any pics?
Old 08-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Chad I have been looking around online for a gauge mount. Not quite sure where I'm going to place the gauge just yet. What did you use? Any pics?
Noserider. I mounted my gauge down below my instrument cluster of factory gauges. I have a good size area there and no wires on the backside so I just drilled a hole and mounted it there. It's not in direct eyesight but very easy to see and also not a gauge I look at all the time like the speedo or such. I can get you a pic later this evening.

Chad
Old 08-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Noserider. I mounted my gauge down below my instrument cluster of factory gauges. I have a good size area there and no wires on the backside so I just drilled a hole and mounted it there. It's not in direct eyesight but very easy to see and also not a gauge I look at all the time like the speedo or such. I can get you a pic later this evening.

Chad
Thanks Chad. My Raptor and gauge setup should be here in a couple days. I plan to install the gauge setup and see what numbers I'm getting on my original Carter pump before I install the Raptor. My guess is under 5PSI but we'll see.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Chad. My Raptor and gauge setup should be here in a couple days. I plan to install the gauge setup and see what numbers I'm getting on my original Carter pump before I install the Raptor. My guess is under 5PSI but we'll see.
OMG. I forgot to get you that pic. We were on the road for vacation for a couple weeks and just got back sunday. Been covered up since I got back trying to get back in the groove. Guess my mind is still on vacation.

My guess is you are right about under 5psi. My coach is about 8 years old and I bought it new. It had about 26,000 miles when I put the gauge on. I figured it should still have good pressure with that few miles. I was wrong. I only had about 8 psi at idle and about 4 under load. That really shocked me.

Of course if you think about it. It's hard for a pump to pull fuel 30+ feet and through 2 filters. Just glad the good guys on this Forum mentioned that it's something to keep an eye on. And I'm glad I did. I'm not sure my Injector pump would have lived a long life at those pressures.

Best of luck on the install.

Chad
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #14

No worries Chad. Glad you have been out enjoying your coach. I will most likely find a way to mount the gauge down low myself. I may need to make some kind of a plate that can be attached to the lower portion of the dash to connect the 2. I also purchased the programmer so I'll report on how that goes.