Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Takes a LONG time to get an accurate mpg figure, Cummins says 144,000 miles in their research white papers.
I looked it up, it's actually ONLY 140,000 miles!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
The Onan manual says a 7.5 diesel genny will burn 0.96 gal/hr at full load and about 1/2gal/hr at 4000 watt output.

Real easy to use 10 gal. of fuel per tank full. Even subtracting 5 gal. for genny use when computing mileage will make you a lot happier with your consumption.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Someone once told me all diesel motorhomes get 7-9 mpg and the only difference is creative math.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post
Since this thread is a little older now maybe no ones feelings will get hurt if I steal it. My question is to all those that have Eagles or Traditions. Do any of you have issues fueling up?, such as having to fuel very slow or having it backup quickly in the filler neck dumping fuel all over. My 98 Eagle is a real bear exhibiting all these symptoms,a real pain.

If memory serves, there was a recall on these vintage Eagles to improve the venting while fueling.

Mine fuels just fine, no issues. Maybe yours was not done?

Call Spartan and they will be glad to tell you if there was a recall and if your unit was addressed.

DaveS
98 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #19

I had a 98 Eagle with the 8.3 set at 330 HP, live in the flat land of Oklahoma, with GPS mileage at about 8, the speedo was off by 8 or 9 miles per hour, if you were showing 60 you were going 68. So you and your friend may have a difference in the speedo also.
cjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #20

Thanks, I'll give spartan a call to see want I might learn.
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Someone once told me all diesel motorhomes get 7-9 mpg and the only difference is creative math.
Probably right except for the new Mercedes Sprinter vans.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post
Since this thread is a little older now maybe no ones feelings will get hurt if I steal it. My question is to all those that have Eagles or Traditions. Do any of you have issues fueling up?, such as having to fuel very slow or having it backup quickly in the filler neck dumping fuel all over. My 98 Eagle is a real bear exhibiting all these symptoms,a real pain.
My '99 American Dream does the same thing. Even at a small pump station(small nozzle) it will girgle, foam, and puke diesel out down the side of the coach. I do the same thing with a bunch of paper towels to help catch it. As far as milage I never did figure it out.........I was hoping it would get about 10.0mpg. Mine is a 330hp. What is in yours?
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #23

WOW, 7-9 mpg on a diesel. Must be talking about the Cats and the "big" Cummins diesels. We have averaged 9.6 mpg over 48000 miles in all kinds of terrain, the lowest being 8,8 in the Rocky Mtns, and the hgighest being 10.8 mpg in Kansas going East. We know lots of folks that do 11-12 mpg on their ISBs.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #24

Yea, I'm getting 13-14 with my ISM. You guys must be running 45 MPH or higher.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg
WOW, 7-9 mpg on a diesel. Must be talking about the Cats and the "big" Cummins diesels. We have averaged 9.6 mpg over 48000 miles in all kinds of terrain, the lowest being 8,8 in the Rocky Mtns, and the hgighest being 10.8 mpg in Kansas going East. We know lots of folks that do 11-12 mpg on their ISBs.
The Cummins ISB is the undisputed mileage champ of the class A world. A significant part of that is most of the motor homes the ISB powers have a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less. I imagine that modern motor homes powered by the Navistar MF7 will make a run at the ISB for that title. When you get up in the range of class As with GVWR ranging from 30-50k the mpg goal drops to the 7-9 range. The fact that those milages are possible pulling that kind of weight is remarkable. If engines were rated in MPG per pound of weight, a modern motor home is about 2.5 times more efficient than a Prius.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The Cummins ISB is the undisputed mileage champ of the class A world. A significant part of that is most of the motor homes the ISB powers have a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less. I imagine that modern motor homes powered by the Navistar MF7 will make a run at the ISB for that title. When you get up in the range of class As with GVWR ranging from 30-50k the mpg goal drops to the 7-9 range. The fact that those milages are possible pulling that kind of weight is remarkable. If engines were rated in MPG per pound of weight, a modern motor home is about 2.5 times more efficient than a Prius.
I have always tought there should be a rating for mpg's per pound (or per ton)... When someone asks my mpg's, I usually say $40 to $45 per hour...
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
I have always tought there should be a rating for mpg's per pound (or per ton)... When someone asks my mpg's, I usually say $40 to $45 per hour...

Or... gallons per hour. 9mpg at 62mph is 6.9 gallons per hour. No airplane that weighs 30k can do that well, that I know of.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #28

I owned a 96 Eagle with a 8.3, I found I had a spark arresting muffler. This hurt the MPG a lot. Did a test without the muffler on a 5,000 mile trip and was amazed at the difference in performance and MPG. Also these older coach's are geared pretty high, I found I was running in 5th gear more than I would ever imagine. This did not become apparent till I could hear the engine better. Mine had 120 on the speedometer for a reason! I changed my driving habits from 60mph to 68 and the trans stayed in 6th gear a lot more and the milage increased.
On the fueling and splash back, when fueling dump the air suspension and extend the front jacks. This gives a little more for the vent to work properly and will also allow the tank to hold a little more fuel with out belching fuel out. This has worked on several of my friends as well. I am on our 4th American Coach and have enjoyed all of them but as with all MH's they have their own tricks.

Tags
cummins