Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2018, 08:21 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Went out and checked the level. There was none showing in the sight glass and the coach is level. Used my inspection scope to look inside the holding tank. There was coolant in the tank. Went and got a gallon of coolant . Put approx 16oz or so in and brought it up to the level marked on the tank, sight glass is now showing coolant. Won't know if this fixed the problem till I get on the road a week from today. Will post whether this corrected the problem. I did notice that the sensor is on the tank facing me , thought it might be on the back side which would cause the sensor to go off when you were going up a incline making it more likely causing the problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #58

Following

Following
Bobschle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Glad you made this post, was having exact same issue, check engine light only comes on while going up grade for extended period and only for a little bit, weird as heck.

I have checked oil, all good. Checked fluid in serge tank, all good. Have not checked Air Filter, guess Ill do that next. Recently replaced fuel filter, so 99% sure that's not it. Just fished up 13 hour drive from Austin -> Tucson, happen twice during drive and light was on for maybe 20 seconds each time.

This is our second trip after spending $23K at Cummins getting engine redone, so fairly certain its nothing internal. Cummins guy who fixed enigne said to pull into a Cummins shop and have them read the codes, but that's easier said than done.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #60

You might want to check the level in your engine coolant overflow tank. The tank has a sensor. If it is low & you are changing elevation it may set off the alarm.
Good luck
Old 06-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
I'll check.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was an auto shop teacher for 35 years working on student, Teacher and public vehicles of all sort for 50 years. I'm still confused or amazed but mostly mystified at the sooooo often suggestion that a plugged fuel filter is the source of sooooo many problems, issues or symptoms.

In all that time I/we discovered less than 10 honest to goodness restricted or plugged fuel filters. Why, Why is it so often the first suggestion?????

Proper diagnostics is dependent on symptoms not guesses. List the obvious symptom from a restricted or plugged fuel filter.

1. If it's 100% plugged the engine will not run.

2. If it's restricted often it will start, idle and accelerate until it can't provide sufficient fuel to maintain or support proper combustion. Today's vehicles will/may or should set a LEAN code. Probably intermittent misfires will occur based on the lack of fuel. It may run and accelerate based on the percentage of the restriction.

Those are all common sense symptoms but may not include all.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
My light goes off as soon as I let up on the pedal. Last just a few seconds. I have checked for codes, my coach has a code reader built into the dash trip meter and odometer. Mine isn't showing any codes. Was at the Cummings shop last week picking up a generator part and asked them about it. They said would probably have to get worse before they could find it since it's not holding a code and so infrequent.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
My light goes off as soon as I let up on the pedal. Last just a few seconds. I have checked for codes, my coach has a code reader built into the dash trip meter and odometer. Mine isn't showing any codes. Was at the Cummings shop last week picking up a generator part and asked them about it. They said would probably have to get worse before they could find it since it's not holding a code and so infrequent.
seems to be happening only when you are asking for power. I'd replace the air filter even if it is showing okay.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
seems to be happening only when you are asking for power. I'd replace the air filter even if it is showing okay.
Went out this weekend, just got home. Pushed the pedal to the floor and got the light again! Guess it wasn't the coolant sensor. Will pull the air filter tomorrow and inspect it.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
My 08 425 hp cummins had to have the EGR cooler replaced at bout 50k miles. It was replaced with an updated design and runs fine now. I HAVE NO IDEA IF IT MIGHT BE AN ASSOCIATED PROBLEM BUT I SAW YOURES WAS AN 08 AND THOUGHT I WOULD CHIME IN.
The truck center that worked on it said it was a common issue with those years and they knew exactly what it would take to solve my problem which was slow coolant loss with no drips.
I'll be looking for your solution. jmo mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since I have recently spent my kids college money at Cummins, they have been good at trying to help me over the phone. After posting the other day, went ahead and purchased a cable & bluetooth thingy that plugs into the end of the cable.

The guy from Cummins who has been helping me tells me that your ECM will save every code that pops up until its manually cleared out. So I downloaded the Cummins Fault Code App, synced it up with Bluetooth thingy, and low and behold, it spit out my all my saved codes.

Now the water in fuel item is an old one that I figured out, so ignore that. But the Engine Fan Clutch 1 Output Driver is the ghost I have chasing.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 AM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Can you send me the info on where you purchased this scan tool. Think I need it. Hate not being able to know what's going on with my engine.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Can you send me the info on where you purchased this scan tool. Think I need it. Hate not being able to know what's going on with my engine.
You can use any of the bluetooth scanner thingy's, I chose this one based upon the reviews, but the write up that showed me how, they used one of the cheap $10 Chinese ones, so they all work to some extent.
Bluetooth adapter
Then you need the 9 pin to ODB2 cable
Here is the cable
Then just download the Cummins app, sync the whole thing up, and you are good to go.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:07 AM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solved my Engine Fan Clutch check engine light error, albeit the hard way, and not by my choice
Learned that under no circumstance will I ever go into a Freightliner shop for repairs again.
Also found out this is a problem that Spartan knew about, but does not tell you about until this happens.
Also learned that if you can't find a replacement radiator hose while on the road, cut your hose where the hole is and install a coupling, nice little trick to get you back on the road till the proper hose can be ordered.
While my experience at Freightliner left me doubting any future for humanity, there were some great people who helped get us back on the road that completely restored all faith in humanity X10

Tags
check engine light, engine, light, service