Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Amber Engine Light ISL8.9, 450hp. Not check engine light

We're on our first leg of a two day journey when the Amber engine light came on. I checked the Cummins literature and it says it's a malfunction indicator lamp. I then called Freightliner 24 your service and he told me to ignore the light and that I shouldn't even have that on my ISL8.9?

The engine performs normally no indication of anything wrong other than that one Amber light. No other warning lights are illuminated.

Last year I attended Mike's Freightliner class and he only mentioned that light in conjunction with the Regen light coming on, which I don't have.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
ISL is 8.9L not 15L. The new ISX15 is 15L.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you, edited and corrected.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
If it's not causing driveability issues, I'd try and get it to Cummins or Freightliner and have them connect scan tool for any DTC's. It sounds like you have an inactive type code...

Hard to imagine any engine or chassis mfg telling you to just ignore the light and Rock on....

I take it you've checked all coolant/oil level.

But w/o scan tool, anything would be a wag.... hopefully your 2016 engine will be under warranty
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #5

...it sounds more like an emmisions issue, not related to drivability, but probably a n0x sensor ... a Cummins shop is the likely best place to start.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I cleared the Amber light by switching the ignition to run a couple of times without starting the engine. Today we drove 350 miles without any warning lights popping up. I agree with the comment that it must be emission related. For now we're good. There's always something with these engines.

Thanks for taking the time to respond
Old 05-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #7

this happened to me recently, right after leaving from an oil and gen service at Speedco, got on the interstate below Atlanta and almost immediately the light came on. Now, I do remember that I was getting low on DEF, which could have bee the reason, but after I pulled into the first station I could find, who, believe it or not, had NOT A SINGLE container of DEF, I cranked her up to leave, and the light never came back on!

crazy, sometimes.

For my original reply to your issue, though, I had the same thing occur back 18 months ago. Freightliner was great in understanding the issue, and advised me to have it looked at when I had my next scheduled service, it was not an emergency since it was emissions related. Cummins in FtWayne(good place, 50amp hookups for overnight!), found quickly that the nOx sensor was faulty, causing the alert. Under the 5 year emissions warranty, they replaced the sensor at no charge, and I've had no issues since, other than the recent.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
you can get the codes displayed on your dash if you don't have a scangauge etc...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+codes+on+dash

Tags
check engine light, engine, light