Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
I called Cummins in Dedham Mass and asked them for a quote to replace the exhaust manifold on my Windsor. They quoted me 20 hours at $125.00 per hour plus parts.
I called Mass Diesel in Bellingham Mass who does my work and had them quote and swap out the manifold. Total cost out the door $880.00.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
I think that Cummins believes that everyone that brings a coach to them to have it worked on doesn't have a clue as to what may be involved. They take the opportunity to quote high, if someone walks away what do they loose >>> Nothing. They do however make lots of money from the ones that have the service done.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #45

If you were a mechanic in a Cummins shop, which rig would you rather work on, A motorhome where you need to wear special booties, stand on your head and run back and forth through the coach being extra cautious of leaving a mark,
Or, a Highway Truck that the hood flips forward and you have the engine right in front of you, your toolbox right next to you and no upholstery to worry about. That's one of the reasons their quotes are higher.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #46

One of the big problems with going to diesel engine distributors is that they do not sell on-highway engines. The factories sell direct to the chassis builders, eliminating the distributor. Their only opportunity for revenue is parts and service. Hard for them to compete with all the shade tree diesel shops when they have all that overhead...many branch locations within their assigned territory.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #47
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Awesome thread! Thanks for documenting this task.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:01 AM   #48
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of great info, which I hope to never need; but have subscribed to this thread just in case. Thanks for documenting.
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:33 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Another piece of advice, get new Exhaust V-Clamps.

Everyone says to do it, but they looked fine and the prices I saw on Amazon were alarming. After I finally got my exhaust brake working today I heard a leak from the turbo to PACBrake clamp, it was loose, so I started cranking down on it and it broke.

Cummins didn't carry it or have it on the parts list (as others have stated). They directed me to a Kenworth dealer that had the Turbo to Brake clamp for $15!!

Not the same brand, but looks to be of ok quality.

Again, just something to consider!
steined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:53 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I know I'm going to get slammed for this but......I never shut down a diesel till I get where I'm going. I never shut down a diesel while fueling, rest area while eating, truckstop while in resturant etc. I have had five deisel pushers in the past 21 years. I have drove truck for five million miles. Not once have I had a manifold crack. This includes Cummins,Caterpillar, Detroit and Mack. Deisel 's generate a tremendous amout of heat, cast iron and steel cools at different rates and expands differently. This is where the problem begins. In winter months my engine has ran for months continually with no problems. I'm old school and just disagree with the 5 minute cool down. Just my honest opinion
We obviously went to the same school.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #51
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steined View Post
Another piece of advice, get new Exhaust V-Clamps.

Everyone says to do it, but they looked fine and the prices I saw on Amazon were alarming. After I finally got my exhaust brake working today I heard a leak from the turbo to PACBrake clamp, it was loose, so I started cranking down on it and it broke.

Cummins didn't carry it or have it on the parts list (as others have stated). They directed me to a Kenworth dealer that had the Turbo to Brake clamp for $15!!

Not the same brand, but looks to be of ok quality.

Again, just something to consider!
good point. i lost the v ban clamp a month ago and the heat from turbo melted the air hose to pac brake. consequently my air pressure was seen only 80 psi (vs normal 125). limped to a shop and found out that.
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #52

Great job, and very informative write-ups

RustyTools is online now   Reply With Quote