Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anticipation of next ISC problem

Well, in the last 6 months I've had to replace my radiator, so while doing this I had a complete coolant change, new water pump, and thermostat installed. Also had the CAC tested and ultimately rebuilt.

Just got done replacing my exhaust manifold which cracked between the 3rd and 4th cylinder.

Now I'm anticipating my next problem. Any suggestions or clues as to what it might be.

Fuel Lift Pump???

Turbo???

Trying to gauge the level of anxiety that I need to suppress for our next long trip, TN to NM and possibly up to CO then return.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #2

I understand your post! Been a rough go for a bit, who knows - maybe calm seas ahead!!

That being said, two thoughts:

1) If you have not yet changed the rubber fuel line to your generator, it could go bad on you and start air leaks, or at work, fuel leaks which could result in a fire. Yours, and my, era fuel lines were designed for pre ULSD fuels. They did not handle ULSD well. Note: This should not be the fuel line to the ISC, as that is most likely all metal tubing.

I replaced the rubber fuel lines to the generator and hydro hot, with Gates Barricade. But NAPA also has good fuel lines now. And almost anyone that you buy today, will be ULSD OK to use.

2) Yep, watch your lift pump. Ours is still the OEM unit, but for the same ULSD reasons, I feel it's not if, but when it will start to leak! I do run fuel additive, Opti Lube, in each tank, and that might also help the Lift Pump.

The ISC is a good engine, and worth sorting out these problems, and when done - should easily go longer then your coach will hang together!

OK, one last suggestion. If you have not yet changed over to Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. Then starting the process now, would be a good idea. It takes a few changes to get it fully over...

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Smitty77
Thanks for the advice.

I did change over to the Transynd Castrol oil ~5 years ago.

I do run additives in my fuel ~50% of the time so hopefully that will help with my lift pump. I have been reading up researching on the fuel pump and already of parts list. When I was changing the exhaust manifold I inspected this area thoroughly and will continue to inspect as we take trips. After reading what is involved I think I'm fully capable of tackling that problem as long as I'm not stranded in the middle of Tim-Buck-Too

I will look at my generator fuel line, I may have enough on hand to run a new line.

Again Thanks for the advice
Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Have you replaced the engine speed sensors? At least that is what Cummins calls them. The act as crank and cam position sensors.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Coma,
No I have not replaced speed sensors

What are the symptoms of these failing. Where are they located, how hard are they to change??

What I am doing with this information is gathering as much info I can on each potential failure. With the fuel pump I went to the QuickServe site and printed out a parts list showing the fuel pump with part numbers. I then did some research as to availability of this part both cost and how many venders offer (not many). If the pump starts to fail I know I have a little time (depending on leak), I also found that the pump only cycles 30-60 seconds to prime the system. I also know where it is mounted so it can be inspected. I plan on doing this on all potential problems and include all the info in my database.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #6

Anticipation of next ISC problem

I also am concerned about the Lift pump on my 2003 ISC350. Where is it located ? I check for fuel leaks regularly, and haven't found any, but want to be sure I'm checking in the correct places. Thanks.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yours may be different

My 2002 Windsor has the 8.3L 350HP ISC engine.

The lift pump is located on the side of the engine, passenger side near the top, near the transmission bell housing.

If you pull the hatch cover (s) above the engine an look down you should be able to see it.

go to

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

this is a Cummins run site. Have your engine SN and join. Once you join it will show the engine SN on the left, make sure the box is checked. This will then link you to all the information for your engine. Go to the parts page and it will list sections of the engine, find the fuel system and go through the various areas to find it. You can also do a search at the top of the page and it will narrow down the areas it could be in.

Here is a copy of the print out you can get, this is specific to my engine. I print/copy it as a PDF file and keep it in my file system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel Transfer Pump 4935005 from Quickserve.pdf (209.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #8

Thanks for the info.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Coma, No I have not replaced speed sensors What are the symptoms of these failing. Where are they located, how hard are they to change??
You will get a check engine light. They are located on the back side of the accessory drive. They cost ~$50 each but about $400 labor to change, a big PIA to access. Do them both when it's time.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
OK thanks, after going through the engine schematics on the Quickserve site I finally found them, showing 2 of them. Took me a while as they were just labeled sensors, I had to keep mining deeper to finally find a page that said speed sensor.