RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Anyone have bad result from 15% biodiesel?

As the heading says.

Has anyone had engine issues from using biodiesel?

I am especially interested in the Cummins mechanical engines problems, if any.

1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

I burn whatever is at the pump. Trying to find straight diesel is hard to do in some states. Even checking out stations ahead of time doesn't always work out. I am burning a mix of 20% and straight now, about a 50/50 mix. Only 183,000 miles on the motor so no idea what the long term affect will be.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #3

I just had my first biodiesel casualty, the primary fuel pump gasket began leaking last week. A new pump and $1,600 later I have a new pump. From posts in this forum, a new gasket may be installed. My thinking was, the present lift pump is 20 yrs old, why replace the gasket after spending a lot of money to remove/replace the old pump, so I bought a new pump.
On the Cummins C series engine in a Spartan chassis, the starter must be removed to access the lift pump, thus the large labor bill.

The important point about a leaking lift/primary pump is, it leaks directly onto the starter motor. The majority of MH fires begin in the engine compartment; conclusion- a leaking primary pump is a fire disaster waiting to happen.
It's up to you to decide, new gasket, or new pump. New gasket replacement is less overall money, but if it did not solve the leaking, you get to repeat the process.

FWIW, you will not find the old straight diesel fuel today, all contain at a minimum of B2/2% biodiesel. If anyone tries to tell you their fuel contains no biodiesel, ask for the name of the additive they had to add to replace the lost lubricity that occurs during the refining process that removes sulfur
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I just had my first biodiesel casualty, the primary fuel pump gasket began leaking last week. A new pump and $1,600 later I have a new pump. From posts in this forum, a new gasket may be installed. My thinking was, the present lift pump is 20 yrs old, why replace the gasket after spending a lot of money to remove/replace the old pump, so I bought a new pump.
On the Cummins C series engine in a Spartan chassis, the starter must be removed to access the lift pump, thus the large labor bill.

The important point about a leaking lift/primary pump is, it leaks directly onto the starter motor. The majority of MH fires begin in the engine compartment; conclusion- a leaking primary pump is a fire disaster waiting to happen.
It's up to you to decide, new gasket, or new pump. New gasket replacement is less overall money, but if it did not solve the leaking, you get to repeat the process.

Why do you believe biodiesel caused the problem?
Old 12-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #5

Leaking fuel pump gaskets can come at any time,bio fuel or not. From my experience it could come from loose bolts on the pump housing. Check the 3 bolts that hold the pump to the housing and you might find that you can take a couple of turns on those bolts and stop the leak. This was my case but I did install a FASS pump for different reasons
Old 12-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #6

None and not expecting any

There are hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road at any given time running bio diesel
Old 12-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Why do you believe biodiesel caused the problem?
I suspect the OEM gasket was not compatible with biodiesel, I may be wrong though,it may simply be age deterioration. Jumping to conclusions is a human problem. The 3 bolts are tight. I have the old pump in the garage, when I get time I'll disassemble it to see if I can identify the cause.
If it was actually biodiesel it should show on the gasket.

Years ago, my 02 Duramax engine fuel rail leaked diesel into the crankcase. GM covered it under a special extended warranty. The copper seals in the fuel rail(under rocker arm covers) failed due to being incompatible with biodiesel. Their cost was $5,000 to replace the copper seal on both sides and replace the injectors, also underneath the rocker covers,-which had the same problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
As the heading says.

Has anyone had engine issues from using biodiesel?

I am especially interested in the Cummins mechanical engines problems, if any.

We have the mechanical C8.3 like your rig.

Have filled once with B20 and suffered no consequences.

Now I typically fill at Racetrac where the pump states "may contain up to 5% Biodiesel" here in Florida.

No ill effects with this blend either.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #9

Here is the gasket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_162141.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	269439  
Old 12-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #10

My memory is:

> ULSD did not play well with some gaskets and rubber fuel lines. Results in the early years of the shift to ULSD were leaks from gaskets, Cummins ISB/ISC/ISL Lift Pumps were a well documented problem. Rubber fuel lines to Generators and Oasis/Aqua-HydroHots, etc. - had porosity leaks.

> I believe I remember reading a post from Spike64 (RIP) (But, it could have been someone else!), that once the leaking gaskets and rubber fuel line problems were found, that an adjustment to ULSD formula was made to reduce the risk. And, I know from a call to Gates, that they (And others.) made changes to their materials to handle USLD. (I replaced the fuel lines to the HydroHot and Generator with Gates Barricade Fuel Line.).

I never could second source confirm that the actual USLD formula had been altered. So grain of salt on that input... If it was Spike64, well, he was a member I trusted for good info!

I counter Bio, by adding Optilube to each tank. If above B5, I also always add Biobor JF.

I have noted a drop in MPG when running B20, so I suppose that should count as a bad result (Less Cetane, so less power per gallon.).

If the info is accurate, a poster on another forum said that it was something like 20 gallons of clean water, required to generate 1 gallon of Bio (Nope, not fact checked.) - so while less sulfur is burned per gallon, as a whole, when you factor the costs of growing, harvesting, transporting crops used to produce Bio. Toss in burning up to ~10% more fuel. You have to really wonder this is a 'wash' on improvement to the environment. And of course, the higher cost of Over The Road trucking for fuel and maintenance of equipment - is passed onto the general economy to absorb...

Of course, it's better then following a VW Rabbit Diesel running reclaimed fryer oil - smelling those French Fries gets me hungry! And I suppose, the farming lobbyist are pleased with Bio too!) (And of course, ethanol.)

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 12-19-2019, 12:29 AM   #11

Run bio across the USA many times and never had any trouble but I would avoid a cheesy station.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I prefer diesel #2 and buy it when I can. What I don't like is when they charge the same for 10%/15%/20% biodiesel when it doesn't contain the same therms/power.

For those who don't know, fuel stations are not required to post that their diesel contains 5% or less biodiesel. So typically, you're getting some biodiesel.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #13

I believe but can not prove I had a problem caused by biodiesel. Typically I drive from Nebraska to Arizona, sit for 5 months in the winter and then return to Nebraska where my r.v. is used sparingly in the summer. On my return trip home last year my stop engine light started flashing very briefly and seemed to be low on power. My mechanic advised stopping and getting the engine codes read. All were related to fuel starvation, had them change fuel filters and everything was fine. Problem was diagnosed as algae growing in the fuel. I now use Killemz if the fuel is going to sit for any length of time in my tank.
vetteandharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Algae-X "AFC-705" Fuel Catalyst

Having recently returned this past Oct. from a trip through California where I couldn't avoid putting some biodiesel fuel in my rig because pure diesel couldn't be found, I was concerned because my rig went into storage for the next 3-4 months. I went to the shop where I have my rig serviced and asked the Service Manager about issues with Biodiesel in a '07 ISB 325 Cummins engine. Here is Colorado there is very little Biodiesel sold except in Boulder where all the "tree huggers" live. He didn't feel I had much to worry about. However, he mentioned that AT&T uses Algae-X "AFC-705" Fuel Catalyst in their emergency generators that set for mouths but must be ready to instantly run at full load should a power failure occur. They use it to keep the fuel stable during those idle months.

https://www.downwindmarine.com/Algae...-91002269.html

I ordered a 8 oz. bottle to add to my fuel tank in case there is still residual biodiesel in my tank.

Tags
diesel