Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Anyone have injector troubles on Cummins?

I just bought my 2008 Tiffin 37QDB Allegro Bay with a Cummins ISB6.7 and Allison 6 speed tranny with 82000 miles on it. I figured that is just broke in good for a Cummins. First trip had injector 5 go bad. Had it towed to Cummins MidSouth in Memphis and spent $1400 on it.
In the maintenance records left behind by the first owner I found he had replaced #5 three times already, #1 once and #4 or #6 (can't tell which) once.
I need to find out what is causing that and put a stop to it. Company tells me it is probably bad fuel, but I question if that is the case why have the other 3 not failed? They all get the same fuel.
Any possible solutions appreciated.
Thanks
jastarn50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

On most Cummins sites they recommend that you replace all of the injectors at the same time. They also stress to use only Bosch injectors for the fuel system.

I run two filters on my 08 truck; the stock 7 micron and a 2 micron filter after the stock. Buying quality fuel and extreme fuel filtration will insure long life for the injectors.

The 7 micron filter is a Fleetguard FS/2, design part number FS43258. You might need the new filter and shell that was released in around 2010; part number FS43257. Once you replace the shell which is reusable; you will only need to buy the filter. Your 6.7L ISB uses the same filter and shell that I use on my truck.

Jim
Old 11-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #3

That sounds quite expensive, but if I do it myself, which I believe I can, it could probably be done for no more than I paid Cummins to replace one.
Thanks for the reply.
jastarn50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
On most Cummins sites they recommend that you replace all of the injectors at the same time. They also stress to use only Bosch injectors for the fuel system.

I run two filters on my 08 truck; the stock 7 micron and a 2 micron filter after the stock. Buying quality fuel and extreme fuel filtration will insure long life for the injectors.

The 7 micron filter is a Fleetguard FS/2, design part number FS43258. You might need the new filter and shell that was released in around 2010; part number FS43257. Once you replace the shell which is reusable; you will only need to buy the filter. Your 6.7L ISB uses the same filter and shell that I use on my truck.

Jim
Excellent. Just be sure you clean out the filter shell if you reuse it. Dirt and moisture are what kills the injectors and as the OP found out, the injectors for the 6.7 are extremely pricey. I submit to the OP that there is or has been a contamination problem in that fuel system. I suspect it may still be there. The only way to completely fix the problem is to drain the tank, clean it out, and flush the lines. Also need to flush the fuel return system including the return rifle that runs through the head. Once the entire system is clean, start over with a fresh set of Bosch injectors. Also be sure to even clean out the filler neck. Be certain the fuel fill cap seals tightly. Dirt can migrate down into the tank that way. This is exactly the main reason I have a gasser.

Unless the system is totally decontaminated, I'm afraid the OP will continue to have problems and will be replacing injectors periodically. And, I hate to say it, but when these injectors go bad, they start leaking and overfueling. I've seen many melted pistons due to this very failure. Then its a really expensive fix.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins