RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On my ISX, just to the right of the black loom and just above the red loom, you can just amke out the black end of the old unit the Ugly Fix replaces.
Mr. D, was it hard to install on the ISX? Have you driven it enough to notice any difference?..Bob

RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
Mr. D, was it hard to install on the ISX? Have you driven it enough to notice any difference?..Bob
I pulled the bedroom closet and floorboards apart to try and get to it, found that I couldn't even see it. Then I went in through the side panel and could easily find it, that's how I took the picture I posted some time ago. To do it now would take maybe 10 min and most of that would be to get the tape off.
What I notice most is that it takes about 30 miles to warm up enough to get full performance. Otherwise I can't say I notice any difference but I've driven so few miles it's really hard to tell.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I was able to access mine through the rear engine opening, it was a stretch but able to do it with the help of others on this forum in telling me where to look. I think the RV feels more responsive to the throttle and also we've picked up 3 to 5/10 of a mile per gallon over the same trip we took last year. Based on all that they claim that it does, keeping your oil cleaner, running cooler etc. I think it is a worthwhile investment.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
I was able to access mine through the rear engine opening, it was a stretch but able to do it with the help of others on this forum in telling me where to look. I think the RV feels more responsive to the throttle and also we've picked up 3 to 5/10 of a mile per gallon over the same trip we took last year. Based on all that they claim that it does, keeping your oil cleaner, running cooler etc. I think it is a worthwhile investment.
My only hesitation in doing it is that I have an aftermarket warranty. Since the ISX that I have seems prone to failure I am nervous in making any change that could come back to bite me if I were to have an issue with the engine and Cummins were to inform the warranty company that I had "modified" the engine. Does anybody agree or am I overthinking it and being too cautious?
Bob
Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #19

Since you would know where the EGR controller was located it shouldn't take 10 minutes to put it back on if you knew you were going to a shop. Maybe or Maybe not?
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Tom, once you've installed it and know where it is at, you could always plug the original sensor back in. Nobody would know that it had been swapped out. Your call, as I understand your reasoning, but I think it is more beneficial in the long run to have it. JMO
Old 03-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #21

Quote:
I agree with Tom, once you've installed it and know where it is at, you could always plug the original sensor back in. Nobody would know that it had been swapped out. Your call, as I understand your reasoning, but I think it is more beneficial in the long run to have it. JMO
But wouldn't the computer show a record of it?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:22 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think so, what you are replacing is a barametric pressure sensor. If you are driving above 7,000ft that sensor closes the EGR valve. The Ugly fix fools the EGR into thinking you are above that altitude all the time. I don't think the computer keeps track of how long you are driving at high altitude which if left stock would be considered normal. JMO
Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
what you are replacing is a barametric pressure sensor. If you are driving above 7,000ft that sensor closes the EGR valve. The Ugly fix fools the EGR into thinking you are above that altitude all the time.
As I understand it, when you eliminate that pressure sensor you disable any heat protection. On long climbs the exhaust gas temperatures are no longer regulated and can exceed the limits of the turbo which may cause turbo failure. A pyrometer is needed to monitor the temperature; easy on trucks but a 45 foot run for a coach.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #24

[QUOTE=hypoxia;3528590]As I understand it, when you eliminate that pressure sensor you disable any heat protection. On long climbs the exhaust gas temperatures are no longer regulated and can exceed the limits of the turbo which may cause turbo failure. A pyrometer is needed to monitor the temperature; easy on trucks but a 45 foot run for a coach.[/QUO

Good point. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try it since hopefully it won't show up in computer memory. But will get one of these also. EGT Digital PMD1XT Series Pyrometer Gauge Kit-Diesel Pusher Motorhome They offer up to 70 foot cable extension.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I disagree about the heat protection loss. With the Ugly Fix installed all your doing is eliminating the exhaust from being reintroduced to the engine. Temps will run cooler because of this. Your engine oil will not be polluted as fast because of this as well. You're not adding any more turbo boost with fuel, so it will pull the long uphill grades the same as it did before, only without the hot exhaust gas being re-burned. The cooler air and fuel mix (minus the EGR being open and letting some exhaust back in to the mix) the more power you derive from your engine. Read up about it on the Ugly Fix website, it will put your mind to rest about these heat comments.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Read up about it on the Ugly Fix website, it will put your mind to rest about these heat comments.
Reading a sales pitch is fine but I wanted to see what other information is out there.

Some guy once said "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" and that probably applies with an engine ECM.

Here is a good place to start. These guys make their living operating these engines. Understanding Your EGR and DPF as a Truck Owner
Old 04-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Reading a sales pitch is fine but I wanted to see what other information is out there.

Some guy once said "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" and that probably applies with an engine ECM.

Here is a good place to start. These guys make their living operating these engines. Understanding Your EGR and DPF as a Truck Owner
Great article! Thanks for posting. However, it does not (IMO) cover what (if anything) happens when the EGR is tricked into doing what it does naturally at elevation. In other words the Ugly Fix merely tricks the ECM into thinking the engine is at 7200 ft of elevation and closes the EGR so that the engine only breathes fresh air. I'm sure there are engines that actually do stay at that elevation for significant miles, but have never heard they experience any long term problems. Am I missing something?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think you're missing anything because originally these engines were designed without the EGR valve so the reaction for the action was worse with the EGR valve but the government made them do it. The high temp shut down sensors are still there on this motor and will shut it down if you're pulling a grade and you lug it and get your exhaust temperature too hot, but I have never experienced that with mine. This ugly fix is not like the chips that people use on their diesel pickups to where you can melt the motor down by boosting the fuel too much. I do not see any problem at all with using this but that is just my opinion and opinions do vary.

Tags
install