RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #43

As a preventative measure Iím having a new head installed currently. They pulled the intake manifold off today and found that the EGR cooler has been leaking a very small amount. Head mechanic said I was right in my thinking to change the head before I had a major problem. I bought this RV mid August and was concerned from the start. Did not want to be out on the road and have a major problem.......needed the peace of mind.
ISX 650 Engine build date 12/09 installed in 2011 American Heritage 35500mi.

Hiflyer421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiflyer421 View Post
As a preventative measure I’m having a new head installed currently. They pulled the intake manifold off today and found that the EGR cooler has been leaking a very small amount. Head mechanic said I was right in my thinking to change the head before I had a major problem. I bought this RV mid August and was concerned from the start. Did not want to be out on the road and have a major problem.......needed the peace of mind.
ISX 650 Engine build date 12/09 installed in 2011 American Heritage 35500mi.
Looks like that's going to be in my future again.
Are you getting the new carbon scraper liners and matching pistons? That's the latest upgrade for the ISX.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #45

Evening Mr D,

Iím aware of the new piston kits. The shop didnít think that they were worth putting in especially since Iím at low miles and no damage. Hopefully weíre going to solve the soot problem at the same time.....
Old 12-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Evening Mr D,

I’m aware of the new piston kits. The shop didn’t think that they were worth putting in especially since I’m at low miles and no damage. Hopefully we’re going to solve the soot problem at the same time.....
I agree. Once they get the cylinder head off they can inspect the liners for any scratches or scoring. Pay particular attention to #6 as it's usually the worst from excessive heat.
For a good example look at some of the pictures 08 Navigator posted on his #6 piston and liner. I recommend you be very proactive as the technicians are not used to working on the 650hp RV engine. Ask to see the #6 cylinder yourself.

I think you are wise in preemptively changing to the new Inconel valves.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Evening Mr D,

Iím aware of the new piston kits. The shop didnít think that they were worth putting in especially since Iím at low miles and no damage. Hopefully weíre going to solve the soot problem at the same time.....
I had the valve failure so I had several items replaced due to failure. One item that was still ok but hard to change was the EGR cooler. I decided to have it changed while it was accessible. It made a difference in how cool the rear bath is and also the engine runs cooler.

It cost me just under $1,800 to have it replaced. I would recomend that anyone doing this work get the cooler replaced. What do you think your final bill will be?

Also we have essentially the same coach, didn't know they made a heritage in 2011... But if they are having issues with access I can share what I came up with that makes the rear support structures removable.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #48

Well I don't agree sticking with the V10 will cost more in the long run because I won't keep a rig long enough that the limitations of that set up would come in to play. And, I believe that would be the case for probably 90% or better of the class A owners on the road today. Who cares if you can put 500K-1 Million miles on a diesel engine, has anyone met an RV owner that has? I am not talking about commercial vehicle use. Reading threads on this and other forums regarding DP's and the longevity of a diesel engine reminds of earlier Harley Davidson owners that always told you how those early Harley engines would "last forever", when in truth they were junk.

Like I said in my prior post, if finances permitted, I too would join the legions of DP ownership. Since this past summer I have been weighing the +/- of upgrading my 2011 Georgetown to something newer, 2015-16. Though I can afford a used decent DP in those years, it is the DP maintenance and possible catastrophic break down costs that lean me towards a quality gasses like Tiffin or Newmar, which will take me everywhere a DP would go, maybe a little slower and not as cushy, but still enjoying the lifestyle.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #49

Isx broken valve

I have a 2008 Monaco executive with 525 Cummins isx that broke # 6 valve July 2018 only 32,000 miles
Cost $ 40,000 I sent letter to Cummins no response they know they have a problem and not addressing it
Coast bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Hiflyer421, at some point your techs are going to come to you and ask about cutting out the chassis cross member in order to remove your cylinder head. Mark D has been through this and can help.

A thought for all of us low mileage ISX motorhome owers. The techs will want to install a remanufactured cylinder head and just trade yours in as a core. I would ask about retaining your original low mileage head and installing the new valves, seats, and whatever is required instead of installing a remanufactured cylinder head that more than likely has 900k miles.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Hiflyer421, at some point your techs are going to come to you and ask about cutting out the chassis cross member in order to remove your cylinder head. Mark D has been through this and can help.

A thought for all of us low mileage ISX motorhome owers. The techs will want to install a remanufactured cylinder head and just trade yours in as a core. I would ask about retaining your original low mileage head and installing the new valves, seats, and whatever is required instead of installing a remanufactured cylinder head that more than likely has 900k miles.
The head casting did have improvements on the twin cam system like I had. CM871 is its designation.

A RX head would be the newest design and inspected. From what I learned all parts are removed and discarded less the casting. Then all new and latest design parts are installed and then tested.

I am glad I had Cummins parts and labor. After the work I had a slight leak on the EGR and also the gasket behind the lift pump was bad or damaged. Both items were fixed zero charge to me.

The lift pump gasket I did have to pay mileage since they came to me but well worth it.

You get a 12 month warranty so when you get it back drive the hell out of it. Typically a defective part will fail quickly.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #52

Theyíre installing a new head, no remans, donít believe itís a good idea in this circumstance to have recycled head, donít know how many heat cycles etc etc. or what a reman has gone thru. Does one buy recaps for your car or new tires.....theyíre both available.
I would be interested in seeing or hearing about Mark Dís thinking on the square tube framing. Four eyes and two heads are always better then one.....
Old 12-13-2018, 06:23 AM   #53

Quote:
Theyíre installing a new head, no remans, donít believe itís a good idea in this circumstance to have recycled head, donít know how many heat cycles etc etc. or what a reman has gone thru. Does one buy recaps for your car or new tires.....theyíre both available.
I would be interested in seeing or hearing about Mark Dís thinking on the square tube framing. Four eyes and two heads are always better then one.....
In the pictures you will see the support brace before cut and after. What I did was had it cut out with a thin saw at the places indicated. You actually cut in three places and the bottom is just unbolted from the frame. Now there is plenty of room to work.

I took the frame and had several plates cut by a local fab shop. The plate to the far right, bottom of picture is a T due to where it had to be cut. The other two are straight. They are welded to the bracket and overhang onto the existing frame by 3". I had mating plates made for the other side with 3/8" holes pre cut in them 1.5" from each end. 3 on the T bracket. The one to the far left / top of the bracket picture was shorter due to the upright.

Now to reinstall Cummins bolted the bottom to the frame and lines up the other 3 sections and clamped them in place. Then you take and line up the predrilled bracket so that its aligned with the one welded on, clamp it and drill the first hole. I then used 3/8" stainless bolts to secure it. Then you move on to the next hole and so on. It's now clamped in place just as secure as original and can be removed easily if another major project is needed.

The logic is that a 3/8" bolt would clamp the plate to the welded on side and also through the original bracket. It would also sandwich both pieces together. It's just as if not stronger than original.Click image for larger version

Name:	Drouin%20RV.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	228873Click image for larger version

Name:	20181001_115622.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	228874Click image for larger version

Name:	20181009_082320.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	228875
Old 12-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #54
Bil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I have been thinking of moving up one day. Most coaches I have had my eye on have the 600. Has anyone heard how much this has happened with this engine?
Also, what about the 605hp engine?
I am completely new at this and have no idea how to PM someone. I also have a 650 that dropped a valve and would like to contact 08navigator to see what his fix is, but have no idea how to do it. Please help.
Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast bound View Post
I have a 2008 Monaco executive with 525 Cummins isx that broke # 6 valve July 2018 only 32,000 miles
Cost $ 40,000 I sent letter to Cummins no response they know they have a problem and not addressing it
I didn't think the 525 ISX had the "chordal malfunction" as Cummins terms it.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bil View Post
I am completely new at this and have no idea how to PM someone. I also have a 650 that dropped a valve and would like to contact 08navigator to see what his fix is, but have no idea how to do it. Please help.
Click on his name in the left sidebar and a list should pop up allowing you to message him.

Tags
engine