RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Unless I play and win the lottery I won't be buying a new (or very recent) DP.

For my purposes ISX=NO bueno. I can't afford to spend 30% of coach purchase price on engine rebuilds necessary because the manufacturer could not deliver an engine suitable for the task it was used.
Yes, learned a long time ago that if you can't afford it, do not buy it. Most people that buy a $500000 or million dollar coach can afford the repairs, they may not like it, but are prepared for it. Partially, Cummins is part of the problem, but because of EPA regulations changing yearly, Cummins sometimes introduces engines that have not been fully tested. Their only alternative is to get out of the OTR market like Cat and others have done, which will probably eliminate a lot of new dp's. Personally have worked on diesels all my life and expecting every brand new model engine to run without repairs or modifications is pretty silly.
Bought a lot of cheap B's and C's in my life. Now getting older and want the quality of a big comfortable coach's. Got sick of all the compromises I have had to make due with smaller, lower quality coaches. I have set aside enough for major repairs on my present one. 40 years ago a cheap class c was my biggest wish, but, still scrapped a few because of repair cost.
Two edged sword. AND to each his own and do what make you happy.
As stated before, big commercial trucks running more than 600 miles a day do not see so many problems with the #6 cylinder.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
engine