Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #1

Best type of Cummins

Hi I’m looking to purchase a diesel pusher I definitely want to get a Cummins engine. Which year or Model should I avoid any feedback back will be great
Dutchv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
The ISC and ISL are bullet proof motors.

I'm sure you have been reading the Cummins forum so you can get a good idea as to which one is having valve problems.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #3

We have a 2002 Monoco Caymon with 5.9 ISB 275 Cummins. Old unit was class C 460 gas. what a difference! Monoco has 63k on her, we bought it 2 years ago with 61k on it so far no problems. Toad~1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 manual train. the DW still working get to use it a lot next year.
keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
M-11 or the newer ISM-11...pretty much bullet proof and no fuel lift pump to deal with..400 to 500 hp combined with the 4060 Allison trans..
Have ran across 2 Motor coaches with the M series, that had well over 300k miles on their clocks, and several more with over 200k miles..(Ours is still a youngster with 110k.)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #5

Hardly any issues with the 8.9 which is or was the highest torque engine per weight in the world. Decent power and economical and in hundreds of thousands of motor homes and all kinds of equipment
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Some of the early ISB 5.9L engines had an issue with the block cracking. The years are listed on this forum.

Some of the ISL 8.9L engines had a wrist pin issue. There is a bulletin posted above the with the model years and serial numbers.

Several of the ISC 8.3L and ISL 8.9L engines have cracking exhaust manifolds and leaking lift pumps. These can be fixed.

Some of the ISM 10.8L engines have an issue with the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation). This can be fixed, but it's expensive.

The RV 650HP ISX has an issue with acid from the EGR corroding the intake valve (usually #6) causing catastrophic failure. This can also be fixed with a technical bulletin that has been posted on this forum. This fix can cost $25k if done before the failure. If after a failure it can cost as much as $45k.

Remember that in general, at certain year coach will have the previous years engine.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchv View Post
Hi I’m looking to purchase a diesel pusher I definitely want to get a Cummins engine. Which year or Model should I avoid any feedback back will be great
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry so late responding but I just saw your post. Our coach has the ISC350 and we have not had any problems with it. From what I read on here it is one of the best engines Cummins has built!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry so late responding but I just saw your post. Our coach has the ISC350 and we have not had any problems with it. From what I read on here it is one of the best engines Cummins has built!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Both ISC and ISL's will sometimes have cracked manifolds. On the ISL, I prefer the 2004 era change to Common Rail and Variable Geometry Turbo. The later provided better HP/Torque curve. And VGT does add some breaking HP too. 2006 era ISL's had wrist pin concerns. And research the many makes that had suspect aluminum radiators too.
Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
I have a 2008 ISL. Only known problem with early smog ISL is the EGR cooler. Between 45,000 and 55,000 miles they usually go out. Cummins know it was a bad design and now offer the ISX cooler and a retrofit kit as a replacement. Figure $4.5k as an estimate repair amount from a Cummins shop.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Some of the early ISB 5.9L engines had an issue with the block cracking. The years are listed on this forum.

Some of the ISL 8.9L engines had a wrist pin issue. There is a bulletin posted above the with the model years and serial numbers.

Several of the ISC 8.3L and ISL 8.9L engines have cracking exhaust manifolds and leaking lift pumps. These can be fixed.

Some of the ISM 10.8L engines have an issue with the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation). This can be fixed, but it's expensive.

The RV 650HP ISX has an issue with acid from the EGR corroding the intake valve (usually #6) causing catastrophic failure. This can also be fixed with a technical bulletin that has been posted on this forum. This fix can cost $25k if done before the failure. If after a failure it can cost as much as $45k.

Remember that in general, at certain year coach will have the previous years engine.
Excellent compilation!

We have an ISC 8.3L 350HP. Yes, its exhaust manifolds had cracked before I purchased it, cost about $1000 to fix it. The lift pump later leaked, I replaced the seal with $7.

After 6 years 30k miles in our hands, it still roars with full power to the places we are heading to...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Excellent compilation!

We have an ISC 8.3L 350HP. Yes, its exhaust manifolds had cracked before I purchased it, cost about $1000 to fix it. The lift pump later leaked, I replaced the seal with $7.

After 6 years 30k miles in our hands, it still roars with full power to the places we are heading to...
X's 2! Was on the phone when I posted earlier, and missed Vito's post.

I should have also noted, that we have a CAPS era ISL. We bypassed our Lift Pump before it failed, installing a FASS pump, which we're glad to have.

The key, is to drill down the selection to a specific coah, year, engine - and thw cross check that engine for known issues. Some are usually one time problems that cost a bit to cover. Others are repetitive, and then price and risks become the issue. And others are catastrophic...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #12

Smitty, how many miles on your Fass pump?
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Man after reading all this why would I even want a Cummins?
Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeney View Post
We have a 2002 Monoco Caymon with 5.9 ISB 275 Cummins. Old unit was class C 460 gas. what a difference! Monoco has 63k on her, we bought it 2 years ago with 61k on it so far no problems. Toad~1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 manual train. the DW still working get to use it a lot next year.
I have the same, non 53 block with 95K. no issues at all

Tags
cummins, engine