Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

BIG problem please help!!!

My rig has a Cummins 370 ISL. I am stuck in my driveway,90 miles from the nearest Cummings facility (Houston) and quite likely backed into an untowable angle.

The engine will not start and I have replaced both fuel filters. A local truck diesel mechanic drew an OBD code of Eng Sid 18 11 which says something is wrong with fuel delivery. My VMSPC recalls the same code numbers and adds (Fuel Control Valve).

Of course these are not Cummins software codes. The local guy has not been able and probably wont be able to cross ref the Cummin's code.

The part my VMSpc specifically mentions is very $ Even tho his OBD code number is the same as the VMSpc I am reluctant to buy the fuel control valve without some connection that has some reference to Cummins

I have tried the company help line with no luck

Any suggestions PLEASE???

Joel Shandalow
jlshand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
jlshand.....Did you replace the filters and have the issue, or did you replace the filters after the issue? Did you prefill the filters? Is the coach parked at an angle, nose down in the driveway?

If nose down, lift the nose with the jacks to get fuel at least flowing by gravity. If you didn't prefill the filters, remove them and prefill. Make sure your thumb is clean, insert in the center hole and fill the outer hole with clean diesel.

Both filters have a 1" o-ring that must slide over the center threaded rod that the filter threads on to. Make sure they are in place and that the old ones were removed.

Just some thoughts.....hope this helps!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Joel,

Sounds like Don gave good advice. Do follow it Those orings are easy to miss. I did the first time.

With my engine I follow a recommended proceedure from cummins for getting all the air out of the line after a filter change but I think yours might be different so you might call a cummins rep and ask them about your engine and how to make sure the air is out.

As far as converting between VMSpc codes to cummins code it is easy to do if you subscribe electronically to quickserve.cummins.com

There is a free version but you cannot do much with it. If you upgrade it ccost about 100 a year.

You get the code converter and after converting to cummins code it links into problem defination and then to a trouble shooting procedure. The site with upgrade offers a lot of manuals and procedures for maintaining your engine. In addition it offers manuals and parts for you ONAN generator. When you sign up it will allow you to put in up to 5 VIN numbers. All data is specifically for your VIN.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Reply to Don

I had the same symptoms before and after. In fact I changed the filters because of my fear they were the problem

I did not pre- fill the new filters. I know there is a difference of opinon between the manufacturers recommendation (Do not pre-fill ) and most of the old diesel hands like the guy who works on diesel trucks who always prefill.

I will pull the new filters and prefill but .....both the VMspc and the other guys OBD pulled an active code that there is something wrong in the delivery system. The VMspc indicated this active code before I changed the filters.

Both filters had lots of fuel in them when I went ahead and began to drain them after the engine still would not start. Doesnt that in itself mean I had regained prime???

Thanks Don and I will pull and refill just to absolutely make sure.

By the way something my wife reminded me . Both before and after filter change I got the thing to start, ran for thirty seconds ,quit, and both times wouldnt start up again. don't know much but wouldnt that suggest ,at least after the new filters, That I had prime???
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #5

Thanks Graystroke

I have checked the site you mentioned and it looks like I need to go ahead and sign up for the $100 or so. Do you know if the info actually translates OBD codes or whatever I get from VMspc to Cummins codes?

I thought you had to have a cummins code already and only then would the software tell you which part had failed. That of course would not do me any good.

I actually have a cummins part number for a fuel control valve for the ISL but I cant know if this is the failed part without the in between step of determining the VMspc fuel control valve indication is the same as the cummins part number I got.

I wonder how many things within the fuel delivery system could actually fail? That is beside the filters and the control valve. Pump? Injectors? etc etc???

The delivery system is the old CAPS system and there is not a solenoid involved But.......
Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
CD

I know absolutley nothing about you rig but the thought that came to me was maybe the line is cloged between tank and filters. Is there some way to disconnect the line at a point that there is nothing but line to the tank and see if fuel will flow by gravity etc. Maybe attach a pump of some kind to suck on it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The VMSpc give the SPN and FMI codes for the protocol it uses for the eng/tranny. It gives you a general exp of the problem.

Silverleaf is not allowed to cross reference these codes for you because it propriatory.

But Cummins at the quickserve site can not only convert the codes for you and it can give you procedures to fix the problem complete with part numbers.

It is not real friendly site so it takes time to figure out.

I have converted all of my SPN/FMI codes to cummins codes in the form of an excel file. Quickserve also lets you download most of the procedures which I have done. It won't help you since you have a lot more codes. My engine is the first electronic version.

If you decide to sign up and need help send me and email and I will try to help.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I assume you have eliminated the Fuel Shutdown Solenoid as the problem?

On my C8.3L mechanical Cummins, I can see it activated by the ignition switch which causes the solenoid to lift the rod to allow fuel to flow.

If the engine starts but will not run, it could be because the solenoid either opens briefly but will not hold the fuel flow open, or will not open at all. If the later case, there is a bit of fuel in the line to allow the engine to briefly start one time.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
In addition, I have found my diesel generator manual has a troubleshooting chart in the last few pages of the manual.

Since I had to learn about Diesel Engines with little prior experience, I have found that troubleshooting section to be informative.

Obviously, you would want to ignore the generator side of things, but the "Engine Starts but Does Not Run", and "Engine will Not Start sections" were enlightening to me and similar to the chassis engine principles.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #10

while cranking break seal with wrench at fuel-line nut on top of injection pump and be careful because of the pressure. crank engine then break nut slowly. some pumps have a seperate nut half inch or less below fuel-line nut either in the rear or front of pump. have a cummins/allison in a 95' SAHARA pusher with long cranking time. but once started' it's a peach. the manual say's 2 minutes is not unsual but don't like that. am thinking of installing electric pump.
bingo1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joel,

Just got off quickserve and it appears they no longer require a annual renewal. Don't know if they make an intial charge. Just thought I would let you know
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Could it be a screen in the fuel line before the pump? I remember reading somewhere that they were using screens that could be cleaned instead of filters.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Joel: You indicated the engine started for 30 seconds then quit. This MAY indicate the filter did not prime and it ran on the fuel in the line between the filter and the injector pump.

I am not familiar with the ISL, but my MH has the Cummins ISB engine. I can check the lift pump is working by putting the filter on empty and bumping the ignition just momentarily to start and then to on. . I can hear the pump running for about 30 secs. I do this 3-4 times and the filter is full. (Cummins recommends this procedure when changing the filter instead of pre-filling- again for the ISB) When I have started the engine before the filter was full, it would run for about 20-30 seconds and quit until I primed the filter correctly.

Another consideration is air in the line from gaskets leaking. The ULSD diesel can soften some of the fuel gaskets and cause leaks at the lift pump. May leak fuel or suck air in. Here's a tech article:
Cummins Lift Pump Leakage Due to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel: Engine Builder

Hope this helps...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshand View Post
My rig has a Cummins 370 ISL. I am stuck in my driveway,90 miles from the nearest Cummings facility (Houston) and quite likely backed into an untowable angle.

The engine will not start and I have replaced both fuel filters. A local truck diesel mechanic drew an OBD code of Eng Sid 18 11 which says something is wrong with fuel delivery. My VMSPC recalls the same code numbers and adds (Fuel Control Valve).

Of course these are not Cummins software codes. The local guy has not been able and probably wont be able to cross ref the Cummin's code.

The part my VMSpc specifically mentions is very $ Even tho his OBD code number is the same as the VMSpc I am reluctant to buy the fuel control valve without some connection that has some reference to Cummins

I have tried the company help line with no luck

Any suggestions PLEASE???

Joel Shandalow
what MH do you have? I had a very similiar problem on a Fleetwood expedition and the problem was the primary was an in-line Racor filter that was clogged. My first thought would be an obstruction in the suction line from the fuel tank, no matter what the model is. If the coach has sat for a long time it is possible to get mother (slime and algae) in the tank and that can lead to clogged supply lines.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote