Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Big reduction in DEF use, ISX 15

We were delayed in leaving Florida this year, in part because of a bad NOX sensor. As the diagnostic codes also said the engine had been "derated" we had to arrange for a Cummins field tech to come to us.

The tech's computer confirmed the bad NOX sensor (unfortunately, it was the one ahead of the turbo, requiring the bathroom floor to be removed for access) and, at the same time, that our ECM was way out of date in terms of updates. He took care of that to, taking us from version .14 to .21.

I can only guess that the update was responsible for a major decrease in DEF use. I have previously complained, both here and to Cummins, that we were using something near 8% DEF to fuel when Cummins says should max out at 5%. With only the one 500 mile trip behind us so far, best I can calculate we were very close to 5%.

Obviously I'll continue to monitor this, but I'm optomistic that our DEF use may have been cut by almost 40% by the update.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We were delayed in leaving Florida this year, in part because of a bad NOX sensor. As the diagnostic codes also said the engine had been "derated" we had to arrange for a Cummins field tech to come to us.

The tech's computer confirmed the bad NOX sensor (unfortunately, it was the one ahead of the turbo, requiring the bathroom floor to be removed for access) and, at the same time, that our ECM was way out of date in terms of updates. He took care of that to, taking us from version .14 to .21.

I can only guess that the update was responsible for a major decrease in DEF use. I have previously complained, both here and to Cummins, that we were using something near 8% DEF to fuel when Cummins says should max out at 5%. With only the one 500 mile trip behind us so far, best I can calculate we were very close to 5%.

Obviously I'll continue to monitor this, but I'm optomistic that our DEF use may have been cut by almost 40% by the update.
That is good news, any change in fuel mileage?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Don't think update effected fuel mileage, but it was probably too short of a trip to know. Especially combined with the multiple start/idle sessions while diagnostics and repairs were being done (not only for the NOX sensor, but for damage caused by a rat). We also used more fuel in the Oasis than usual due to a much colder than normal winter.

That said, I do think we may be seeing a slight uptick in milage simply due to the miles we've acumulated. We experienced the same thing with our last coach too, especially past 20 - 25k miles on the odometer. On this coach we're at about 16k.

I've never had a complaint about mileage with this coach. We got 7mpg on our very first tank of fuel.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 05-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #4

On our 18 London Aire with Spartan K3 and new X15 getting about 200 miles per gallon of DEF.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
On our 18 London Aire with Spartan K3 and new X15 getting about 200 miles per gallon of DEF.
Assuming you're getting about 7 miles per gallon, that would be approximately 3.5%. I'd be very happy with that.

The next couple of tanks of fuel will be a better test. No excessive idling, no use of fuel for the Oasis. I'll be revisiting this in July.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 05-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #6

I just had my 16 coach in for annual service at Cummins yesterday and they updated my ECM as well. Like you, I was way out of date and have experienced high def usage (needed to fill def on every fuel stop, though I do tend to need nearly 200 gallons at fill up time). I'm hopeful we will both see a drop in consumption!
Old 05-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
What kind of coach can you add 200 gallons of fuel to?
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 05-19-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

The King Aire has a 200 gallon fuel tank
Old 05-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would be looking at filling at 1/2 tank and definitely before 1/4. I never run under 1/4 tank before looking for fuel.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Just an update to my original post.

We just returned from a 3500 mile round trip from South Carolina to New Mexico and back. We averaged 7.2mpg and DEF use comes in just below 5% (4.7).

Seems that ECM update done last April had a positive effect on DEF use. We're now within parameters suggested by Cummins (for the ISX), a lot lower than the 7 to 8% I'd been complaining about.
2024 Ford Expedition
Old 09-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #11

Hi JMonroe - that is great news. How did you come to get the ecm update? Was it a warranty issue? How does one get ecm updates? THANK YOU, Jeff
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #12

Ooooops! Please disregard JM.... Sorry, I failed to go back!
Yet as I type now, how wound one know if they are in need of ECM updates? I am one of those who has never stepped inside a Cummins dealership.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Normally they would be done during normal servicing.

For decades now I've always recommended that your car be serviced at the dealer, and I feel the same about our coach. Yes, you can get an oil change done for less, but the records won't track and if there is an issue downstream you'll be fighting to prove that a lack of proper maintenance didn't cause your problem- not to mention that the quick change shop isn't going to check for technical bulletins, recalls or do updates.
2024 Ford Expedition