Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Bio-Diesel fuel mixture

We have encountered a growing number of stations that only have the "Bio-Diesel" 10 to 20% mixture.
We have a 2011 Itasca Meridian with the 380 HP Cummins diesel. Does anyone know what Cummins recommends with regards to "Bio-Diesel".
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
We have encountered a growing number of stations that only have the "Bio-Diesel" 10 to 20% mixture.
We have a 2011 Itasca Meridian with the 380 HP Cummins diesel. Does anyone know what Cummins recommends with regards to "Bio-Diesel".
Just to show how far Cummins was looking ahead.............my "2000" ISC is compatible with up to 20% bio diesel..........per the engine manual that came with my Coach. Your will be just fine..........also take a look at the manual for your engine, it will say in there.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes you'll run just fine on it, in fact you'll be hard pressed to find pure diesel out there for the most part.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Community Moderator

if you feed your engine with b20, it won't complain, but, you will suffer the loss of mileage.

i know for a fact that my isc 350 does not like it. i track my mpg on each tank, clearly it shows. needless to say, i always try to skip bxx when possible.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I referred to my engine manual about biodiesel, and the only thing mentioned was to refer to bulletin #3379001 which I do not have. I sent in a request to "QuickServe" to see if they reply
ISC 8.3 - 10
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

I agree with Country Fit my isc 330 runs fine with the mix but I also have poor fuel economy, so look for a lower price point.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
I referred to my engine manual about biodiesel, and the only thing mentioned was to refer to bulletin #3379001 which I do not have. I sent in a request to "QuickServe" to see if they reply
ISC 8.3 - 10
We called Cummins about B20. Gave them the engine serial number and said that our (11 40U) engine would be fine but to call Freightliner for the rest of the system.

Asked Cummins about our Onan generator and they said call Kubota!

Freightliner says that Winnebago does not spec their chassis for B20, so that's what they build.

Winnebago, when pressed, said don't use B20!

We try to avoid, but in the summer that is all we find at most Pilots and Flying J's.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
mjeffery, some one a lot of someones were giving you a bunch of double talk. ALL Cummins engines after about 2001 are built to handle B20. They do not have 1 engine for Winnebago, 1 for Entegra, 1 for Monaco, etc. All Cummins engines no matter which unit they go in are the same as far as fuel requirement based on the EPA's requirements. Who ever you talked to a Winnebago has no clue as to the engine fuel requirement. As to Freightliners reply, the chassis has no bearing on what fuel the motor requires, it's just a chassis built by Freightliner to Winnebago's specs.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:16 AM   #9

Cummins did say that my engine would be fine, but they can't comment on the fuel lines, tank, filter system/implementation.

Winnebago originally said to call Freightliner.

We don't have an Aquahot/Oasis system to complicate matters.

You can't just look at the engine.

Haven't called Kubota, but the generator lines, filters etc. are also part of the overall system.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Using B20 after prolonged use of dino diesel will loosen up any deposits on your fuel tank and may clog your fuel filter or reduce your engine performance.

I've put 100,000 miles on my 2006 Cummins ISL so I had some crap at the bottom of my tank when FJ's in the southeast starting shifting to B20. After a few tankfulls of B20, my coach starting hesitating on the upgrades. I threw some Diesel-Kleen in the tank and that helped. I made it home and quickly changed the fuel filters.

So now I pour a half a bottle of Diesel-Kleen into every tank of B20 just to keep things operating.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel