RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Angry Blow by on Cummins 5.9. 2001. Pusher

I have more blow by than normal on my Cummins 5.9 L. W/ only. 69K miles!
It's a. 2001 Monaco. 32 ft. Pusher. I have more oil than expected blowing out and it has clogged the radiator , causing overheating problems; and of course spots the white dinghy with black spots!

I had another RVer mention a Slop Tube extension for certain years. Anyone out there that might know more about this?
Bill Bale
North Carolina

billbale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Had the same problem on a 2000 Journey with a 5.9 . The blow by tube is to short and over a period of time the oil got on the radiator and the road dust plugged the radiator up causing overheating. Cleaned the radiator extended the tube with a rubber hose beyond the radiator no more problems.

rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

If you get a chance to look under the hood of a similar vintage Dodge P/U at the catch can set up in use there , and fabricate some thing similar ; then remember to drain the catch can every oil change , that will go a long way to solving your issue.
If you just extend the tube , that will keep crud out of the rad , but it still gets on the toad.
You may want to look into ; dipstick calibration ; making sure the factory fill amount is showing at the full mark on the dipstick, after an oil change. Overfilling the crankcase , can lead to oil foaming ; due to the crank shaft contacting the oil in the pan; and that can make the slobber condition that much worse.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #4

Reminds me of my piper Cub J-5. That had an oil problem Lycoming 135 hp . I had to clean the belly all the time , until I made a reservoir ( catch can). Out of a can and incorporated a baffle in it so it wouldn't just blow thru. I' ll take your. Suggestion and look for a similar year pick up and ask! Thanks again
Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I attached a plastic pop bottle to the end of the hose. Make sure it's blow by. I had a cracked oil pan that did the same thing. Cummins had to put dye in the oil to find it.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

Did you have to remove the radiator and have it dipped or how so did you clean it?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Another fix would be adding a long hose and let it drip the oil on the ground, only today the catch can is a more PC thing to do. Also, my IO-360-A1A Lycoming also needs the belly cleaned every 25 hours too.
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbale View Post
I have more blow by than normal on my Cummins 5.9 L. W/ only. 69K miles!
It's a. 2001 Monaco. 32 ft. Pusher. I have more oil than expected blowing out and it has clogged the radiator , causing overheating problems; and of course spots the white dinghy with black spots!

I had another RVer mention a Slop Tube extension for certain years. Anyone out there that might know more about this?
Bill Bale
North Carolina
If you have a lot of excess, check your vacuum plumbing, fastest way to create a lot of blow by on a 5.9 Cummins, is develop a vacuum leak. Then the Vacuum pump will start to pressurize the crankcase creating excess blow by. Do all the vacuum assisted devices work?

Best way to clean the radiator is to get out of the RV and soak with degreese, then spray with warm to hot water.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
billdale

To answer your question--NO.
If you have a dirty CAC (Charged Air Cooler), the unit that looks like a radiator that is in front of the actual one you can clean it. We soak the front of the CAC with Simple Green (any good quality grease cutter will do), let it sit for a while and spray it off. We use a pressure nozzle that attaches to the hose and could be hooked to the water heater if hot water is required.

You can access the front of the CAC from under the bed and from under the MH. At the same time we do the cleaning of the CAC we do the same thing to the radiator from the back side. You will be surprised how much stuff will be washed off. Remember to clean it once a year.

If you are not at home you can go to a TALL self car wash or truck wash and using the sprayer, spray from the back of the radiator until the water runs clean. Just be careful where you pull in--check the wash bay height.

Hope this helps.
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
A good cleaner for the radiator is simple green. May have to repeat a few times if it's really gunked..I use hot water to flush the fins and it helps..
Rear radiator / CAC cleaning

and slobber tubes:
Slobber Tube

Is Simple Green® safe for cleaning aircraft?

Simple Green manufactures a product specifically designed for use on aircraft — Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner. This product was initially developed for use in the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows it to be safe for use on aluminum.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbale View Post
Did you have to remove the radiator and have it dipped or how so did you clean it?
No I used AC condenser cleaner and then pressure cleaner at about half throttle
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #12

In Reference to the Blow By. On. 2001 'Monaco. 260 ISB. Cummins, I have been told there is an update the that engine, either an extension slop tube or hose. And or a Catch - Can, To receive a blow by hose.???? Does anyone out there that knows about this? ? ?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #13

Could be they decided to install the same thing that the Dodge / Cummins were using.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #14

Get yourself a piece of heater hose that hangs a few inches below the sway-bar and zip tie it in place. As for blow-by, locate a shop that has a smoke generator and check it.
The year model (age) has a great deal to do with leaks. It's not uncommon to have leaks all over the place simple due to normal wear and tear.
I rebuilt my cylinder head after discovering one of #5 exhaust valves had a clearance issue (blow-by). This was at 300K plus miles BTW.

Tags
cummins