Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I agree of course, but if I had this failure in an engine falling within the group with the possible wrist pin defect, I would want a Cummins engineer to defend their cascade of events leading to this failure. The devil is in the details and it seems that the same failure could have started with the failure of the wrist pin.
Ah yes, I see your point. Not your first Rodeo.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin12 View Post
Has anyone had a problem with a 2005 Cummins ISL 400 engine blowing up with 50521 miles? The motor was in a 2006 Allegro Bus which had been serviced at RV dealerships every 6000 miles or less. The inspection report stated cylinder #2 dropped 2 valve seats. The #2 piston broke up and put impact holes in both sides of the block. Cylinder wall was damaged and both push rods were bent. There was impact damage to the cylinder head. No signs of overheating or lack of lube. Cause of failure was material failure to valve seat/head causing catastrophic failure to engine. The extended warranty issued by Interstate National Dealer Services /Star Motor Home Service would not help with replacement because the warranty calls for the oil and filter to be changed every 15000 miles or 6 month, which ever comes first. I don't know anyone who changes oil and filter every 6 months with less than 3000 miles on the engine. I have always changed when I get to 6000 miles or 2 years. This was the 3rd Cummins engine I've had and never had a problem before. It looks like the warranties are written to protect the company from having to help if there is a defect.
yes that's why one needs to read the fine print because in all reasonable normal situations regarding ISL engines one would never ever consider changing oil at 6 months. this was obviously written in by purpose so there was a almost 100% chance the warrenty people would never have to cover
you.As Far as a 2005 ISL failing there seems to be quit a few failures out there was another one on here just today same thing 2005 isl
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #17

OP you should contact CUMMINS with engine serial number as they may help if u had wrist pin failure

quote:
Cummins dealer as there is every possibility that the recall may have indeed been involved with this catastrophic event after we described what happened to the engine. He said there is every possibility that a bad wrist pin could have made it into our motor and since the motor has only 23057 miles on it,
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep120794 View Post
lmartin do you have any update? Is Cummins stepping up to cover any of the cost?
No help from Cummins.
lmartin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
OP you should contact CUMMINS with engine serial number as they may help if u had wrist pin failure

quote:
Cummins dealer as there is every possibility that the recall may have indeed been involved with this catastrophic event after we described what happened to the engine. He said there is every possibility that a bad wrist pin could have made it into our motor and since the motor has only 23057 miles on it,
The VIN # was not in the group with the bad wrist pins.
lmartin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #20

Have you leaned on the insurance company any more? A dropped valve or valve seat has absolutely no relation to oil change intervals. I would press hard in this direction, even to the point of having a lawyer drop them a note. To refuse your claim on this basis is BS.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #21

Does comprehensive insurance cover engine failures? If so, who needs a warranty?
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #22

ISX 525 exhaust valve failure

I have a 2008 Cummins ISX 525 in a Monaco motorhome that blew an exhaust valve at 56K miles. Bill was $30K, but under Cummins warranty, so I only spent $100 plus 6 weeks living in a Freightliner facility. In the repair process they went through 4 turbopumps! Anybody know if this is a rarity or do I have to worry about a recurrence. I now have 105K miles.
kurtsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #23

Are you calling the turbo a turbopump?
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #24

Yes, apologies. (I once worked on liquid rocket engines that indeed had turbopumps)

Kurt
Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How did they decide they had 4 bad turbos? What was bad about them?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
Does comprehensive insurance cover engine failures? If so, who needs a warranty?
Standard insurance will not cover mechanical failures.

Cummins recommends a 6 month change interval for our new ISX too, and I can't get any explanation out of them other than, "yes, that is our recommendation".

I've been having regular service done once per year, we typically average 6 to 7k miles per year. The lion's share of our mileage is added between April and October and I've always had the service done toward the end of October. If I have to change it out again April or May the fresh oil will have less than 1k miles on it. Nothing but wasteful.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 PM   #27

Cummins didn't find out that the valve had shattered until long after they replaced the turbocharger which had failed with the valve failure (the failure code said "turbo actuator failed"). They replaced the turbocharger and blew that one. Then they tried a turbocharger with actuator and fired it up and blew that one too. So then they disassembled the engine replacing valves, rockers, and bearings, replaced the turbocharger, and fired it up again and blew that one also. So they completely disassembled the engine, cleaned the last of the valve fragments out, put a new turbocharger on, and now it works.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:27 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsimon View Post
Cummins didn't find out that the valve had shattered until long after they replaced the turbocharger which had failed with the valve failure (the failure code said "turbo actuator failed"). They replaced the turbocharger and blew that one. Then they tried a turbocharger with actuator and fired it up and blew that one too. So then they disassembled the engine replacing valves, rockers, and bearings, replaced the turbocharger, and fired it up again and blew that one also. So they completely disassembled the engine, cleaned the last of the valve fragments out, put a new turbocharger on, and now it works.
I think if I was that shop manager I would be talking to some mechanics. Hopefully you are good to go now.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine