Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2017, 05:44 AM   #1

Bypass oil filters

Cummins and probably others as well have available bypass oil filters which do a better job of filtering oil. There are 2 types; Combination Lube Filters (CLF) and VENTURI COMBINATION LUBE FILTER (VCLF).

It's my understanding a CLF requires a separate return line be installed in the engine lube system. The VCLF does not and internally filters the oil using the venturi effect thus no modification to the engine oil system is required.

More info is here: cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/pdf_archive/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/972957.pdf

Anybody using these filters?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 05:56 AM   #2

The paper you linked which had a copyright in 1997 was interesting. Never heard of this filter.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #3

I did a little more research and it appears Cummins via Fleetguard is now using VCLF filters for all their ISL engines, and probably all others as well. The recommended oil filter for the ISL engine is a Fleetguard LF 9009 which I believe is a VCLF filter.

I guess I just answered my own question.
Both sold
Old 02-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

Yes you did. The manufacturers generally use things that work well in this respect.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 AM   #5

has anyone tried a Frantz?
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

I have a 96 Monaco 5.9b that I've used a Frantz filter for 120,000 miles now.
All my oil analysis come back excellent and I have tripled the miles per oil change and there is no TP in the oil.
Once you get past the install and filter cost- the replacement filters are really cheap and it does an excellent filtering job according to Blackstone.

Skip H.
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

Franz?? Do you also use a magnet on the fuel line?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I did a little more research and it appears Cummins via Fleetguard is now using VCLF filters for all their ISL engines, and probably all others as well. The recommended oil filter for the ISL engine is a Fleetguard LF 9009 which I believe is a VCLF filter.

I guess I just answered my own question.
The LF9009 is listed as an upgraded oil filter for my ISC. Cummins doesn't change the change the oil change interval when using it. Oil doesn't just get dirty as you use it, it breaks down due to combustion heat, shear forces, fuel dilution, oxidation and moisture contamination. No amount of filtering can change that.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #9

These filters are a consideration on engine that are in Continious Duty or high miler ORTs but in a Motorhome application, IMO, a colossal waste of money. Exactly what do you hope to gain?
Old 03-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #10

I believe the Fleetguard LF9009 oil filter is the Cummins recommended oil filter for their ISL engines. Weather or not it's a waste of money and the owner decides to go against Cummins recommendations is a personal choice.
Helpful Cummins ISL Information
Both sold
Old 03-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I believe the Fleetguard LF9009 oil filter is the Cummins recommended oil filter for their ISL engines. Weather or not it's a waste of money and the owner decides to go against Cummins recommendations is a personal choice.
Helpful Cummins ISL Information
Don't get me wrong, it's your money. I'm not saying a by-pass is not a good addition but it's benifit is geared toward engines that run for extended hours by adding oil capacity and filtration.
In a low mileage coach application it really has zero benefit. Unless of course you plan to run your coach 24/7 - 365.
For me, I'd rather put that money to good use on beer, a new set of golf clubs or a new fly rod. Much better return on investment.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Don't get me wrong, it's your money. I'm not saying a by-pass is not a good addition but it's benifit is geared toward engines that run for extended hours by adding oil capacity and filtration.
In a low mileage coach application it really has zero benefit. Unless of course you plan to run your coach 24/7 - 365.
For me, I'd rather put that money to good use on beer, a new set of golf clubs or a new fly rod. Much better return on investment.
Dennis, my manual specifies an LF3000 and Cummins says the LF9009 is the upgraded filter. The LF3000 cost $30.42 on Amazon and the LF3009 $31.08. It would take me a long time to buy a beer much less a set of golf clubs!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Dennis, my manual specifies an LF3000 and Cummins says the LF9009 is the upgraded filter. The LF3000 cost $30.42 on Amazon and the LF3009 $31.08. It would take me a long time to buy a beer much less a set of golf clubs!
Dennis, nice name,
What the OP is referring to is adding a separate By-Pass filter assembly. What you are referring to is an "Upgraded Filter" to replace the standard LF3000 for a couple bucks more.
The addition of a separate By-Pass filter will increase filtering cababilties and add oil capacity. These are concerns for engines that are in continuous or severe service. The average coach does not run long enough to benefit from another filter. Not sure what a by pass assembly would cost but I assure you it's more than a couple of bucks. A couple hundred might be closer. Then you have new elements and more oil to consider at each oil change for Zero Gain. IMHO,
Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Dennis, nice name,

What the OP is referring to is adding a separate By-Pass filter assembly. What you are referring to is an "Upgraded Filter" to replace the standard LF3000 for a couple bucks more.

The addition of a separate By-Pass filter will increase filtering cababilties and add oil capacity. These are concerns for engines that are in continuous or severe service. The average coach does not run long enough to benefit from another filter. Not sure what a by pass assembly would cost but I assure you it's more than a couple of bucks. A couple hundred might be closer. Then you have new elements and more oil to consider at each oil change for Zero Gain. IMHO,

I have a gulf coast oil bypass system on my 03 peterbilt c-15 rated at 600 hp. I change the bypass filters every 15000 miles the factory oil filter every 6 months. When you change the filters you add 2 1/2 gallons oil and pull a oil sample send it in for analysis.i do it my self takes about 15 minutes,an cost less than $100.00 ,I have had this oil in there for 1,100,000 miles. Test still come back saying oil is in great shape, filter takes out all soot an fuel, soot is what causes engine wear. New oil out of the jug is filtered to 5 microns at factory,an Gulf Coast filters down to 3 microns. Oil doesn't wear out,it just gets dirty,or contaminated, it's been in the earth for millions of years. System coast me $1200 installed in 2003, been on 2 peterbilt,so it never wears out. Don't think it would be worth it to put on a coach,you don't run enough miles. Just a few facts to ponder
kz owner is offline   Reply With Quote