Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

C 8.3 "Mechanical" Air Filter Change Schedule?

Greetings! I have owned a 1997 model coach equipped with a Cummins purely mechanical C 8.3 engine and would appreciate knowing how often the air filter should be changed. I installed the current air filter two years ago and the filter restriction gauge has only moved slightly to "8". Wondering if it should be replaced after a certain number of months or mileage interval irregardless of the filter-minder gauge reading? The filter has about 15,000 miles on it. THANK YOU very much, Jeff...
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #2

Just changed mine after 4 years. Filter minder was edging up towards 20.

Old filter was clean as a whistle on the clean air side. Paper element appeared as new.

Inside (dirty side) the filter was dirty, but not excessively so.

There are 2 schools of thought that I am aware of.

One is the recent Spartan recommendation for an annual change due to some failures of the paper element in a fire engine application which resulted in the paper element entering the turbocharger and causing a failure.

The other is that a used filter actually filters better than a new filter and that you should not prematurely change the filter. On our coach there is a written statement to not "over service" and your coach likely has the same statement from Spartan.

I am staying with the recommendation made at the time of manufacture.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle
Cummins C8.3 (mechanical)
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #3

Thank you Dave! Please let me ask a truly ignorant question... What is the original factor recommended schedule... Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #4

Also, Dave, how long have you owned your coach? Curious if the c 8.3 has had any issues other than routine maintenance? I bought my coach because of the 8.3 and its reputation for extreme dependability...???
Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Factory says...2 years from date of filter manufacture or when indicator says so.
Our instructor said "if you lose a filter it will end up in the turbocharger if you lose a turbocharger........... Makes a $80.00 filter seem pretty inexpensive. There are plenty of filters with many many miles (and years) on them. Decisions,decisions
grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

When to change the filter? Well, the answer to that is "When it is dirty"
How do you know when it is dirty? When the filter minder goes into the Red Zone to indicate excessive restriction.

Just because it is 2 years old does not say it needs to be changed. IMO, as long as the filter minder is working and does not indicate the filter is restricted, then run it until it does.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Thank you Dave! Please let me ask a truly ignorant question... What is the original factor recommended schedule... Thanks again!
My Spartan Mountain Master maintenance guide simply states "replace when necessary". This is based upon the filter minder.

I believe your coach rides on the same chassis.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Also, Dave, how long have you owned your coach? Curious if the c 8.3 has had any issues other than routine maintenance? I bought my coach because of the 8.3 and its reputation for extreme dependability...???
I call it my "trusty" C8.3. No issues in four years and approaching 30K miles.

I do use Optilube Summer Blend to increase fuel lubricity and reduce the wear on the lift pump.

Also use Valvtect Microbiocide and park it with a full tank to prevent any growth in the tank (learned that from the diesel boaters here in S. Florida).

I change the oil annually, replace both the fuel filters, the oil filter and the water filter (number of units depends upon SCA readings at the time of service).

Speedco oil analysis indicates that the engine is broken in and wear metals are minimal.

No smoke out of the tailpipe, starts instantly and I do not place my foot on the throttle when starting.

You made a good choice IMHO.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
I also have the mechanical 8.3 and although i have had for only two years i am very happy so far. Good fuel economy, ample power, starts really good, and I use more oil checking it than burning it!!! My Moho weighs a shade over 22,000lbs with full liquids.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #10

I purchased a 97 Imperial with the 8.3l 325hp engine over two years ago. I love it. Starts right up, no smoke, had the oil tested twice with excellent reports. Only problem is iis slightly underpowered when pulling my 29,000 lb coach with a 4500 lb toad up a 6% grade. You made a good choice.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #11

Most diesels the minder light goes on at 25in, I would start thinking about a change when it passes 20 in
Old 03-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
slemnah, we have the same set up I love it. One question I have for you does your unit start off slow in 1st and 2nd and the go good once you hit 3rd?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #13

Kben, it did until I made a slight adjustment to the injector pump. My coach has the 325hp engine option with the Banks Turbo Stinger kit installed. I have a turbo gauge and a pyrometer that I monitor. I now have pretty decent pick up in 1st and 2nd with no more hesitation in the mid range. Looking forward to taking it on a trip in a couple of weeks.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
thx I guess I am going to have to look at the Banks kit,