Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

C8.3E shut down and won't start

Hello All,

First time in the forum, I have a 97 American Tradition with the C8.3/ Cummins and Spartan chassis. Don't use it as often as I would like, but try to start-up every month and run for 2-3 hours. Finally, getting ready to use and start up and runs fine as usual and then abruptly idles down (twice)..lower rpms each time and then shuts down....and will not re-start...just turns over. The fuel is slightly less than a quarter tank, but the generator runs fine...so I expect there is enough fuel. The air filter gauge shows yellow and then red when I pushed the check button. I live on 3-miles of gravel road so I'm thinking I definitely need to replace the filter....but my question: would the engine shut down due to a filter needing replacement?.....I am at a loss here....any help would be much appreciated....Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #2

Check water in the fuel with the filter drain..

Old 08-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Keeping ~1/4 tank of fuel is not a good idea. The additional air space results in condensation and could potentially result in algae.

I would change the fuel filters, both the water filter and the primary. When you take them off check the top of the filter and see if there is a mass of black sludge, if you have this it is algae and can choke the filter.

If you do have algae get Biobor, it is an algeacide and will kill the algae. I would also get Startron Enzyme treatment, this actually eats the algae.

I would get more fuel and in the future keep the tank FULL
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
Rauc-A-Bye Farms

Spartan Chassis

The air filter definitely would not keep you coach from starting. Fuel filters are always the best place to start if you are having problems. Could be algae or water restricting flow.

An after thought, when you change out the fuel filters you can fill then with the fuel system cleaning additive of your choice to help clean any residue in the pump and injectors.

Don
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

Thank-you Don/ Jim,

I believe it is probably the fuel filters and will replace along with the air filter...and see where it goes from there....thank-you again....Ken
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Keeping ~1/4 tank of fuel is not a good idea. The additional air space results in condensation and could potentially result in algae.

I would change the fuel filters, both the water filter and the primary. When you take them off check the top of the filter and see if there is a mass of black sludge, if you have this it is algae and can choke the filter.

If you do have algae get Biobor, it is an algeacide and will kill the algae. I would also get Startron Enzyme treatment, this actually eats the algae.

I would get more fuel and in the future keep the tank FULL
OK....just replaced the fuel/ FW-Sep/ coolant/ air-filter, pre charged fuel filter....and still no start...it just cranks....any additional thoughts?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #7

I'm not 100% sure of the fuel system that you coach has , but you may have issues with your fuel shut off solenoid .
Does your engine fuel system resemble this diagram?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97 dodge Cummins.gif
Views:	60
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	176237  
Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #8

kj
Was there any apparent water when you changed the filter? If there was replacing the filter is not going to remove the water from the fuel tank. Only thought I have is that the fuel system may need to be re-primed if it was a fuel contamination issue. If possible I would run some fuel thru the system and catch what comes out in a container and see if there is any water in the fuel tank. If the new filter has a water separator/collector checking that may be a quick way to confirm water contamination.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'm not 100% sure of the fuel system that you coach has , but you may have issues with your fuel shut off solenoid .
Does your engine fuel system resemble this diagram?

Also need to push the rubber primer bulb shown in Skip's picture to prime the fuel line properly. I had this issue and same symptoms you are experiencing after getting my fuel filter changed at a Speedco. It would start then shut down like fuel starvation. They had only manually primed/filled the filter, but this primer bulb on pre-CAPS ISCs requires priming.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	176298  
Retired USAFR
ltcolmac17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #10

Skip,
That is not my engine, mine has the F/W separator frame mounted and the primary fuel filter is mounted close to where the F/W separator is located on your diagram. Unfortunately, I still am not 100% sure which engine I have, I cannot find a plate anywhere....I have not looked on the valve cover yet however. It is a 97 on the model year, but I'm thinking it may be a 96 motor?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #11

Al,
There was water in the f/w (attached "clear" bowl), nearly full, should I just get a fuel truck out and fill the tank?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #12

I was more interested in the actual , high pressure injection pump type , from the year i'm thinking you should see the P 7100 inline pump and not the newer
98 an up to 03, CAPS system.
The inline pump uses a lift and latch fuel shut off solenoid , that can fail and , cause a no start .
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #13

I couldn't find info on the engine designation you posted , data plate can be hard to access ( red circle on this ISC engine with CAPS injection pump ) but the location is common for Cummins engines.

EDIT : wrong picture I'll correct.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cummins serial data plate.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	176315  
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #14

Thank-you...that gives me some more options to look...