Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
CEL or ?

My '05 Journey (Cummins 5.9 ISB) check engine light came on so I took it to a large truck service center not too far away (40 miles). They service Cummins and other brands. Took it in for a scan. Told me it needed a new sensor. Fine. They put it in and the CEL stayed on. They're saying now that they need to do "further diagnostics". I wonder if this is their way of saying they don't know whats going on.
Could the computer possibly be faulty? Anybody have an idea of what a new (or aftermarket-if there is such a thing) engine computer would cost?

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9adw View Post
My '05 Journey (Cummins 5.9 ISB) check engine light came on so I took it to a large truck service center not too far away (40 miles). They service Cummins and other brands. Took it in for a scan. Told me it needed a new sensor. Fine. They put it in and the CEL stayed on. They're saying now that they need to do "further diagnostics". I wonder if this is their way of saying they don't know whats going on.
Could the computer possibly be faulty? Anybody have an idea of what a new (or aftermarket-if there is such a thing) engine computer would cost?
Steve
kb9adw
I suggest you get a second opinion.... (preferably at a Cummins shop).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Silverleaf monitoring system that does record engine fault codes. This would probably be the cheapest thing that may work.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #4

My opinion, I don't think they really know what the problem is. If you throw enough parts and money at a problem, eventually you might get lucky.
If this were mine, I'd be looking for another shop, otherwise this could get expensive.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all who posted a reply. Turns out to be a bent "tone ring".

My engine went south a little over a month ago. Was quoted $29,900. for a replacement engine, including take out and install. I said no.

Bought a used engine from an RV salvage place. for less than half. Got it installed. It seems the shop bent the tone ring when they put it in. They straightened it and everything works fine now.
I'm a happy camper now
Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #6

Just curious, what happened to the original engine that it had to be rebuilt?
Old 10-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My engine somehow got a hole in a piston. I found a used 5.9 Cummins ISB from Colaw RV Salvage in Carthage, MO and had it shipped it to me. At $8500.00, that sounded a whole lot better than $29,900 I was originally quoted by another shop.
Including engine, take out and install, I have about $16,000 total in it and am ready to go.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK...I give up...what is a tone ring???
Is this something like a flywheel sensor?

Dan
Old 10-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
OK...I give up...what is a tone ring???
Is this something like a flywheel sensor?
Dan
Must be one of these.....??
tone ring on crankshaft Questions & Answers (with Pictures) - Fixya
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
How did you (or shop) finally determine it was the tone-ring?

There are several engine-code monitors out there. As noted, Silverleaf is probably the best, but there's also the ScanGauge at less $$. Wouldn't have 'fixed' your problem but might give you some additional insight into what the engine was trying to tell you.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Tone Ring

I'll admit, I have never heard of a "Tone Ring". However, when I asked a couple of mechanic friends about tone rings, they all said..."Oh, yeah."

The mechanic at the large truck center who found the problem, was eliminating probable causes when he discovered that the tone ring was bent. He straightened it out and it worked fine. He said that if the bending did not work ok, I would need a new tone ring. Evidently, Ford and others have had issues with tone rings.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, thank you very much for the explanation.

I'm keeping a file of things that 'could' pertain to my rv, because I think my coach is a hypocondriac. Almost as soon as I read about something broken here on irv2, mine will fail in the same manner.

Only thing hasn't failed so far is the toile... uh-oh, what's that water all over the floor?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote