Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Tried replacing the filters by doing it the 'correct way' (ie, dry) on my Camelot and previous Endeavor (both had ISL400 engines). Never could get it to work. Went to prefilling and they always started right up. ...

Funny how we have this 'correct way' of not prefilling with fuel, and yet my new filters had pictures on how to install and the picture clearly shows you should pre-fill the filter with fuel!

FWIW, I will always pre-fill, with clean fuel, carefully into the right place. All the engines/filters I've ever done the fuel flows from the outside to the inside. So you fill from the outside only, not allowing anything to go into the inside hole.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Just changed mine today. Installed dry after several times turning lift pump on.
Engine started right up. This is my 3rd filter change and use the same method like the manual stated.
I could see where a weak lift pump might make this a problem.
For me installing dry is a little easier with all the hoses and wiring I have to navigate the filter thru.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #31

Changed my filters yesterday, filled both filters with fuel, with clean new diesel, filled to the top in the center opening, started with no issue.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #32

Thanks to all contributors on this thread, I prefilled my fuel filters and the darn thing started. This is the 4th time I've changed fuel filters, but the first time I installed them "wet".
igotadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #33
Saf

Manufacturers manuals for a reason?

In my Operation and Maintenance Manual, ISC Engines it says on page 5-11

in bold letters and triangles above:

"CAUTION

The ICS has a self-priming, low pressure system that purges the air from the system. Do not prefill the fuel filter. Prefilling the fuel filter can cause pump damage."

I don't know what fuel pump they are talking about, the transfer or the injection pump($4000 Replacement).

Today was my 1st time changing both filters and it did take me a half dozen attempts to start dry over 20 minutes.

Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:19 AM   #34

You can't see the contamanints, in " good clean fuel ", that will damage the high pressure injector pump.

Most secondary filters block 10 microns or more, some filter down to 2 microns.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2018-10-29-06-16-21.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	224250
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #35

Don't prefill ISC fuel filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saf View Post
In my Operation and Maintenance Manual, ISC Engines it says on page 5-11

in bold letters and triangles above:

"CAUTION

The ICS has a self-priming, low pressure system that purges the air from the system. Do not prefill the fuel filter. Prefilling the fuel filter can cause pump damage."

I don't know what fuel pump they are talking about, the transfer or the injection pump($4000 Replacement).

Today was my 1st time changing both filters and it did take me a half dozen attempts to start dry over 20 minutes.

After installing the filter(s), turn the ignition key to the "on" position but, do not attempt to start --- you can hear the fuel lift pump working if you are at the back of the motor home. When it stops, turn the key off and repeat this procedure about 6 - 7 times. This should purge your fuel filters and lines of air. Then attempt the start --- if it does not start, repeat the above instructions for about 4 - 5 more times and then attempt the start -- it should start as normal at that time.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:27 AM   #36
Saf

Thank you. I did each time run the transfer pump till it shut off at about a minute but only 3 times, maybe next time I'll try 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
After installing the filter(s), turn the ignition key to the "on" position but, do not attempt to start --- you can hear the fuel lift pump working if you are at the back of the motor home. When it stops, turn the key off and repeat this procedure about 6 - 7 times. This should purge your fuel filters and lines of air. Then attempt the start --- if it does not start, repeat the above instructions for about 4 - 5 more times and then attempt the start -- it should start as normal at that time.
Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Mine will start after four key cycles.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #38

I had this problem today except my engine started on the first attempt then died after 30 seconds. Prior to starting the engine I did 3-4 runs of the lift pump.

From that point, it would not start despite running the lift pump 3-4 more times. I did not make any further attempts to start it because I wasn't sure what would or would not damage the CAPS lift pump, etc...

I saw in another post about repeating the procedure of running the lift pump several times and attempting to crank the engine 6-7 times over 20 minutes.

How much is too much?
ASU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:23 AM   #39

Cycle the key (not turning far enough to engage starter) until the pump RPM goes from high (pumping air) to slower (pumping fuel.

Only then try to start it.

If the level of fuel in the tank was lower than the filter head and you did not have a ball valve on the primary filter to keep fuel from siphoning back to the tank, you may have 30'+ of AIR in the fuel line. That will take awhile to clear.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Cycle the key (not turning far enough to engage starter) until the pump RPM goes from high (pumping air) to slower (pumping fuel.
Thank you.

I have 30 seconds to get to the back of the motorhome to listen for the lift pump, correct?

I didn't think of the fuel level. I am at 1/4 tank. My single filter is remote mounted under my battery tray. Thanks for mentioning that.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSBill View Post
Thank you.

I have 30 seconds to get to the back of the motorhome to listen for the lift pump, correct?

Sure easier with two people. Hopefully you can recruit someone with enough technical ability turn the key on and off!
Old 05-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Sure easier with two people. Hopefully you can recruit someone with enough technical ability turn the key on and off!

Yeah, biggest lesson learned has been to never buy a motorhome when you're a 30 minute drive to where you have to store it. I will to have to draft my better half on the trip out there tomorrow.

Tags
fuel, engine