Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check Engine Light if oil fill cap loose?

I had the oil changed on my 2015 ISB 340hp 6.7L engine and the shop forgot to tighten the oil fill cap. Fifty or sixty miles later, the dreaded "Check Engine" light comes on. I buy a 9-pin converter to use my OBD-2 reader, but of course it doesn't have the software needed to read the error. So I take it back to the shop that left the cap unsealed and they say it is a "1942 Crank Case Pressure Data Erratic or Incorrect - 1 data point." They refuse to reset the error and want to keep my coach to "diagnose the problem." Are they just trying to get money from me or is there a chance that there is a real problem unrelated to the loose oil fill cap?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

Tighten the cap and find another shop. They are trying to rip you off for another hour or two of labor.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I took it to another shop and they reset the ODB code. I have only drove it about 15 miles since and the code has not reappeared. As I am storing the MH for the winter (well at least until January), I probably won't put any more miles on it until 2020. Hopefully, that is all that it needed.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
It would be doing a service here to allow others to ID that shop so it can be avoided.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Dom

I can't believe that given the error code, crankcase pressure problem, that they wouldn't reset the code. If it comes back, it comes back. Very poor customer relations. you should present them with the bill for re reset.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #6

It's illegal for a shop to reset a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) without doing a "repair". But, if the cap was found to be loose, then for that code, that might be an appropriate repair. The most common gas code is "Low Emissions Evap Leak" typically due to a missing or loose gas cap.
But, with the story as listed, the shop should have pulled the code, tightened the cap, and cleared the code for further evaluation. That's more than what they would have done if they kept the rig.

You should double check that your rig supports "OBDII" diagnostics. Most all heavy diesels do not. J1939 is the protocol most newer diesels support. J1708 on older. The scan tool, the wiring harness and the software have to be compatible with the protocol the vehicle supports. OBDII is likely on a Gas vehicle. (Ford V10 et al).
Old 11-20-2019, 06:27 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
It's illegal for a shop to reset a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) without doing a "repair". But, if the cap was found to be loose, then for that code, that might be an appropriate repair. The most common gas code is "Low Emissions Evap Leak" typically due to a missing or loose gas cap.
But, with the story as listed, the shop should have pulled the code, tightened the cap, and cleared the code for further evaluation. That's more than what they would have done if they kept the rig.

You should double check that your rig supports "OBDII" diagnostics. Most all heavy diesels do not. J1939 is the protocol most newer diesels support. J1708 on older. The scan tool, the wiring harness and the software have to be compatible with the protocol the vehicle supports. OBDII is likely on a Gas vehicle. (Ford V10 et al).

IMO,, it is NOT illegal, if you think it is, then please post the Document that states it. On an auto, you can go to any auto store, they will read and reset it with no issues. It is the same with ANY diesel Engine.

As for the code, you should be able to read it yourself on the data display on your coach. Just remember to NOT TURN OFF THE ENGINE, prior to reading the code. On a Cummins, it will only allow you to read the Active Code. Once you turn off the engine, then restart it, if the code is not there, it is consider a history code.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
IMO,, it is NOT illegal, if you think it is, then please post the Document that states it. On an auto, you can go to any auto store, they will read and reset it with no issues. It is the same with ANY diesel Engine.

As for the code, you should be able to read it yourself on the data display on your coach. Just remember to NOT TURN OFF THE ENGINE, prior to reading the code. On a Cummins, it will only allow you to read the Active Code. Once you turn off the engine, then restart it, if the code is not there, it is consider a history code.
I can't spend the time to do the legal research, but this article should speak to the point.
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...df/01-8276.pdf

And, yes it's technically feasible for an auto parts store to clear codes, but the chain auto stores are training their sales staff to NEVER reset the codes. Some chain stores provide scan tool software that disables the Clear Code function. If you have found a store that does that for you, they are in jeopardy. But, it's just like being in jeopardy of driving in the left lane. A law that doesn't receive much police (EPA) attention.

Yes, there is a strategy of a Pending, an Active and a Historical DTC in most engine controllers. A good scan tool can see all.

FYI, as background, I essentially am the co-inventor of the wireless WiFi and Bluetooth scan tool. The resultant product received the Motor Tool of the Year award in the 90s. And was the Service Strategy lead for DaimlerChrysler worldwide at that time. Co-Inventor of patent 6,609,050 that leverages a wireless scan tool in a service process. WiFi scan tools are now used in every FCA dealerships worldwide (WiTech). So I know something of the subject. As current events, I just met with the other co-inventor and discussed RVs More to come...

Tags
check engine light, engine, light