Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Check Engine Light ISL400

Had it stay on after start up. I shut the engine off and did a quick check of fluids. All good. Decided to hit the road and the light went off after about 10 minutes. Stayed off.

Can most auto parts stores and regular garages check the code or do I need to take it to a larger truck repair center?

TIA
J
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The short answer is no. The automotive industry has used OBDII diagnostics since 1996. Commercial trucks use a J1939 data bus since early 2000's. Some OBDII scanners will read J1939 data with an adapter but they aren't very good.

You really need something that is designed to read J1939 data.

Could the light have just been low coolant?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #3

Thanks. I have coolant in the site glass. Fuel filter is all good too. Oil changed two weeks ago and full.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
YC1

Low battery voltage? Might have taken time for the alternator to kick in and catch up.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Low battery voltage? Might have taken time for the alternator to kick in and catch up.

Not sure. I was plugged in for two days so I doubt it. I will try to find a shop that can read the codes and let you know what I find out.

J
Old 06-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Not sure. I was plugged in for two days so I doubt it. I will try to find a shop that can read the codes and let you know what I find out.

J

If your batteries are charged by shoreline that charging path could have failed. Just trying to think out loud here.

It helps to post your make and model.

Getting the codes read should help.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #7

Another odd one that has been shared form time to time, is just the replacing of the radiator cap will sometimes fix an intermittent Warning/Check Engine light. If I read your post correctly, this has been a one time occurrence? (Well two, since you stopped the engine to go check the fluids.)

So maybe you'll be lucky and the next time you start up it will not repeat.

Oil Pressure, Temperature Sensors, Etc. - can also from time to time start slowly failing. When the engine gets to temp, sometimes these intermittent problems go away - and thus the light goes off.

I do suggest, that you do not do what my Older Sister did back in the early 70's. I stopped into visit her one day, and she asked me if I'd take a look at her car. Said it was making some noises and smelled a bit funny at times. So I go out, Dodge Dart with a 225 Stand Six, and start looking things over. Radiator = good; Fan belts = good; Before I went to start the engine and listened, I thought I should check the oil. NO OIL EVEN REGISTERED ON THE BOTTOM OF THE DIP STICK!. I got into the driver's seat to get her maintenance book, to see when she had had her last oil change. And as I'm sitting the driver's seat and glance towards the dash, I see a piece of black tape on the dash. Pulled it off, and it was over her engine warning light.... I calmly asked my sister to come out and let me share a few things with her. Showed her the dipstick, and where the oil should be between full and add a quart lines - and that no oil was being shown on the dipstick at all. I then asked her about this piece of tape I'd found on her dashboard. 'Oh that. Well this red light kept coming on, and at night it was distracting me. So I put some tape over it.'

A lady who is relatively smart in most areas, was just so clueless about cars. And I know our Dad showed her how to check all these things before he let her drive... in her early 20's, she'd forgotten all that he had taught her!!! (I added oil oil, and a heavy engine oil cleaner, and next day she drove it for the 45 mins I asked her to, then stopped to get a fresh oil change. I asked her to ask the tech, to add one more quart of oil after draining, to help do sort of a final flush of any thing that might have remained in the crank case.)

She drove that car another three years, and the friend she sold it to had well over 175K on that same engine - when he was T-Boned and the car was totaled. Amazed me the engined did not self destruct!!!

Old family story is now over!

And the reason I brought it up, and bit of wisdom we all try to teach the children in our family - is to NEVER PUT TAPE OVER A WARNING LIGHT!!!@!

OP- Best of luck, will follow the thread to see what you find out,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the input. I will keep you guys posted on what i find, if anything.

Tags
check engine light, engine, light