Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Check Engine - Stop Engine Alarm

This is weird and I need some help.

Preparing for Holiday weekend and my 2004 370 6c8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis is acting as it has never done before. 100,000 miles and it has never done this in the past.

Turn on the key and dash shows all icons. With the exception of the "wait", "Parking brake", and "seat belt" icons, all others go off as they should. Before cranking, the "check engine", "stop engine" and audio alarm come on.

As soon as the engine is started, these 3 items diasppear and all is well. Drives normal without any indications of something being wrong. Above situation repeats itself every time the engine is stopped and restarted.

Called Spartan..... first time they had heard of it. Asked about voltage reading and it is fine. Suggested I call Cummins. Called Cummins and original person said he hadn't heard of that one and would have the "troubleshooter" call me back to discuss. 2 days and I haven't heard from them.

Weekend is upon us and I am reluctant to embark on a journey without having some indication that I can make the trip. Scangauge D does not show any codes but I know that isn't as thorough as a Cummins diagnosis - which I would gladly do if someone would call me back.

Any thoughts or experiences you have had with the above situation that you can relay would be much appreciated.

FYI: ScangaugeD was recently installed but disconnecting that does not change anything, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Had lift pump replaced, routine engine service recently done but it ran several hundred miles without problem before this latest situation developed.

Planocat
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

The Cummins ECM, has 5 fuses supplying battery power have you checked them all, could be one has gone bad or has poor connection, these fuses are near the engine , some times in a compartment other times in the engine bay it's self.
Here are pictures of what to look for , it's the 5"X5" box and the lid has to be removed for access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506 (640x384) (2).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	94900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507 (640x384).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	94901  

Old 05-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #3

Had the coach into Cummins in Dallas yesterday. Ran the diagnostic computer and could find nothing. Assured me there shouldn't be any issues with using as once engine is running all is well. Suggested it might be a Spartan or Newmar problem. I could take it to them to troubleshoot. Called Newmar and they conference called Spartan. Were both of the opinion I don't have a problem. Spartan CS said I could spend for hours of diagnosis and never find the problem. If it were his, he'd just drive it as nothing abnormal shows once started.

I explained my situation to a friend in the used Motorhome business who has seen it all. He relayed the story of paying for 14 hours of diagnostic labor on an electrical gremlin and never finding the issue. His suggestion, if nothing appears out of the ordinary once started and driven hundreds of miles, ignore it.

So, I will hunt down and check all fuses in the ECM per Skip's suggestion (although Spartan CS guy says if bad fuse something wouldn't work). But, if the fuses all check out, I guess I'll just drive it. It runs great.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Planocat
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

Further to Skip's suggestion, I was plagued by a check engine light off and on for 3 years. I chased it round and round (paid Cummins to find No Problems) until last summer, I had an alternator failure. Replaced the alternator and still No Charge. So during the course of trying to find out why the alt was not putting out, I ran across a loose connection on the BIRD solenoid. The nut on one side had fallen down off completely and the wire was just sitting on the terminal threads. Found the nut and installed it back onto the terminal. Finally found the ALT Fuse on the Bussman box in Skip's photo that powers the alternator field terminal and found it had blown. Likely blew the fuse while changing the alternator.
Now, since all of this, some 3000 miles later, no more CEL. I am sure it was due to the loose connection on the BIRD Solenoid and causing a slight power blip.
My suggestion is to check all these type of connections for loose or corroded and I think you may find your problem. Hope this helps.

Tags
engine